Armenia over 4,000 times violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan in August
In August 2017, Armenia’s armed forces 4,093 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Armenian and Azerbaijani troops, according to APA’s calculations based on the reports confirmed by the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
In August, the Azerbaijani army positions in the districts of Aghdam, Fuzuli,Jabrayil, Tartar, Khojavand, Goranboy, Gazakh, Gadabay, Tovuz, Goygol and Agstafa were shelled from the Armenian army positions.
The Azerbaijani Army was in full control of the operational situation along the entire line of contact last month.
The Armenian army also resorted to another provocation last month. As a result of immediate actions taken by the Azerbaijani army, a sabotage infiltration attempt by Armenians was prevented, and one Armenian saboteur was killed.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017Chairman of Pakistan’s Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 138 times
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister receives delegation of UAE National Defense College
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of Command-Staff War Games
- 20.11.2017NATO Days in Azerbaijan Armed Forces
- 20.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.11.2017The troops of the Nakhchivan garrison continue activity in the Command-Staff War Games - VIDEO
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting with command staff involved in war games
- 17.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan sign plan for military cooperation
- 16.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani army to hold command-staff war games
- 15.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 128 times
- 14.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 10.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.11.2017Defense minister addresses NATO meeting
- 09.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 08.11.2017Military experts of Azerbaijan and Germany hold meeting
- 08.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 08.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.11.2017Military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit Naval Forces
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.11.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 07.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 133 times
- 06.11.2017Azerbaijan to institute ‘Rashadat’ order for Armed Forces
- 06.11.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 03.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev approves agreement on training of Afghan servicemen in Azerbaijan
- 03.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and Andrzej Kasprzyk mull current situation on contact line
- 02.11.2017Armenia resorts to provocation on border with Azerbaijan
- 02.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.11.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed AZN 86 mln
- 01.11.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 31.10.2017Armenia violated ceasefire with Azerbaijan over 3,500 times in October
- 31.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 110 times
- 30.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 103 times
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijan successfully conducts evaluation of Naval Forces Boarding Party on NATO standards
- 27.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.08.2017OSCE monitors border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijan denies Armenian disinformation on ceasefire violation during OSCE monitoring
- 01.09.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijani army ranks 58th in Global Firepower 2017 Military Strength Ranking
- 31.08.2017Azerbaijani, German defense ministries hold staff talks
- 31.08.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan