Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces violated the ceasefire with Azerbaijan a total of 125 times throughout the day, using large-caliber machine guns, sniper rifles and 82 millimeter mortars (total 33 shells).
Armenian armed forces, located in Barekamavan, Dovekh, Voskevan villages and in nameless hills in Noyemberyan region, in Paravakar village and in nameless hills in Ijevan region, in nameless hills and in Chinari village in Berd region opened fire at the positions of the Azerbaijani armed forces located in Kamarli, Gushchu Ayrim, Bala Jafarli villages and in nameless hills in Gazakh region, in nameless hills in Gadabay region, in nameless hills and in Aghbulag village in Tovuz region.
The positions of the Azerbaijani army were also shelled from the positions of Armenian military units located near the occupied Marzili village of Aghdam region and Gorgan village of Fuzuli region, as well as from positions located in nameless hills in Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Khojavend and Fuzuli regions.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijan, Pakistan discuss military-technical cooperation
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani emergency situations minister meets Pakistani Air Force commander
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inspects formations, units intended for mobilization
- 20.09.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates new military unit on frontline
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits military units at border with Armenia
- 19.09.2017NATO training team begins seminar in Baku
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey continue "TurAz Qartalı 2017" joint exercise
- 19.09.2017Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates new residential complex of Air Force
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister attends "TurAz Qartalı 2017" exercises opening ceremony
- 18.09.2017Azerbaijan launches large-scale military exercises
- 18.09.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 18.09.2017"TurAz Qartalı 2017" exercises begin in Azerbaijan
- 16.09.2017F-16 Fighter aircrafts of Turkish Air Force participating in "TurAz Qartalı-2017" exercises arrive in Azerbaijan
- 16.09.2017Azerbaijan Armed Forces to hold large-scale exercises
- 15.09.2017Another group of Turkish military aviation in Azerbaijan for joint drills
- 15.09.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 14.09.2017Representatives of Turkish Air Force arrive in Azerbaijan to attend joint drills
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish Air Forces to hold joint drills
- 14.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Command and Control Center of Israeli Armed Forces
- 13.09.2017Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 13.09.2017Armenia 130 times breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.09.2017Russia, Turkey sign deal on S-400 systems delivery
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani State Commission: 3,868 people listed as missing due to Armenian military aggression
- 12.09.2017Defense Minister Hasanov meets brother of Azerbaijani national hero Albert Agarunov
- 12.09.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service calls on residents of frontline settlements to carefully use Internet, mobile technologies
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial
- 12.09.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 134 times
- 11.09.2017Ministers of Defense of Azerbaijan and Israel held a meeting
- 11.09.2017NATO’s Agile Spirit 2017 drills end in Georgia
- 11.09.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 11.09.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Israel
- 09.09.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.09.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.09.2017Chairman of the NATO Military Committee and Chief of Russian General Staff hold meeting in Baku
- 07.09.2017Monument to military figures of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic unveiled in Warsaw
- 20.09.2011Azerbaijani Defense Ministry: Frontline tensions intensify
- 20.09.2011Defense production increased by 11.2 times in facilities of Defense Industry Ministry in first half of 2011
- 20.09.2011Armenians set fires once again in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 19.09.201123 large-caliber ammunitions found in mud volcano area of Garadagh district
- 19.09.2011Simulated exercise on prevention of world’s greatest disaster to be conducted in Istanbul Strait
- 19.09.2011Azerbaijani Army starts large-scale exercises in Nakhchivan