Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces violated the ceasefire with Azerbaijan a total of 125 times throughout the day, using large-caliber machine guns, sniper rifles and 82 millimeter mortars (total 33 shells).
Armenian armed forces, located in Barekamavan, Dovekh, Voskevan villages and in nameless hills in Noyemberyan region, in Paravakar village and in nameless hills in Ijevan region, in nameless hills and in Chinari village in Berd region opened fire at the positions of the Azerbaijani armed forces located in Kamarli, Gushchu Ayrim, Bala Jafarli villages and in nameless hills in Gazakh region, in nameless hills in Gadabay region, in nameless hills and in Aghbulag village in Tovuz region.
The positions of the Azerbaijani army were also shelled from the positions of Armenian military units located near the occupied Marzili village of Aghdam region and Gorgan village of Fuzuli region, as well as from positions located in nameless hills in Goygol, Goranboy, Tartar, Khojavend and Fuzuli regions.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Belarus
- 20.02.2018OSCE expected to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 20.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Iran's defense minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ex-military official does not rule out ‘Armenian involvement’ in assassination attempt on Israeli defense minister
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan, UK ink military cooperation plan
- 16.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123
- 15.02.2018Five artillery shells detected in Sumgayit
- 15.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 13.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018NATO training course underway in Baku
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents another border provocation by Armenia - VIDEO
- 12.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.02.2018Tasks set by Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief brought to attention of army’s command staff
- 10.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 09.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia to develop cooperation in defense industry
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s military policy has proved successful
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan accepts into armament new military equipment delivered by Russia
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents Armenian provocation, one enemy soldier killed
- 08.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan's rocket and artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VIDEO
- 07.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia mull prospects for development of military co-op
- 06.02.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ramaldanov: Armenia has just been given ‘Kornet-E’ missile complexes, while Azerbaijan has had them for 10 years
- 05.02.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 05.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 117 times
- 02.02.2018Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov, Ambassador Andrzej Kasprzyk mull situation on contact line of troops
- 02.02.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.02.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 01.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijan revises bill on status of military servicemen
- 31.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 114 times
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijani army gaining strength day by day – deputy minister
- 29.01.2018Mountain exercise for Azerbaijani servicemen underway in Georgia
- 01.08.2017President: Azerbaijan’s hosting “Sea Cup – 2017” proves its increasing prestige in the world
- 02.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 02.08.2017Artillery fire will be conducted on sea targets in "Sea Cup - 2017" contest
- 01.08.2017Solemn opening ceremony of "Masters of Artillery Fire" and "Sniper Frontier" contests held in Kazakhstan
- 01.08.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 135 times
- 01.08.2017Ceasefire violated by 4,065 times by Armenia last month