Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces have 102 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on Oct. 3.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Jafarli, Bala Jafarli villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Berdavan, Dovekh, Barekamavan villages of Armenia’s Noyemberyan district, and on nameless heights in Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, the Armenian army positions stationed in Nerkin Karmiraghbur, Mosesgekh, Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights in Berd district opened fire at the Azerbaijani army positions located in Alibeyli, Aghdam">Aghdam, Kokhanebi, Esrik Jirdakhan, Aghbulag and Munjuglu villages of Tovuz district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights in Gadabay district were also shelled from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights in Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Yarimja villages of Terter district, Bash Garvand, Garagashly, Yusifjanly, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavend district, Ashaghy Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Ashaghy Seyidahmadli, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless heights in Goygol, Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavend and Fuzuli districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCEMinsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijan briefs EU on Armenian armed provocations
- 23.10.2017Armenians in panic, see modern Azerbaijani weapons everywhere – Defense Ministry
- 23.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 132 times
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijan's Chief of General Staff of Armed Forces departs for USA
- 21.10.2017Azerbaijan defense minister orders troops to immediately suppress enemy provocations
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of new anti-aircraft missiles
- 20.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017British military attaché: We appreciate Azerbaijan’s efforts to cooperate with NATO
- 19.10.2017Major General rank conferred to Khanbala Orujov
- 19.10.201725 documents signed at Baku session of CIS Border Troops Commanders Council
- 19.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 137 times
- 18.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 17.10.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani Air Force Base
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces sign joint protocol
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian Armed Forces hold meeting in Tbilisi - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan’s successful military ops in April 2016 highlighted at Tbilisi meeting
- 17.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss military cooperation
- 17.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian Armed Forces to hold meeting
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan-Georgia military cooperation discussed in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov meets Chief of Georgian General Staff
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister embarks on visit to Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Heads of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Turkish Armed Forces to meet in Tbilisi
- 16.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2017Field firings carried out from “Buk-MB” anti-aircraft missile systems - VIDEO
- 14.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 13.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017U.S. considers Azerbaijan key partner in fight against terrorism: Pentagon
- 12.10.2017Rocket, artillery formations of Azerbaijani Army stage live-fire drills - VİDEO
- 12.10.2017Zakir Hasanov attends meeting of CIS Defense Ministers Council
- 12.10.2017Tajik president meets with defense ministers of CIS member states
- 12.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 11.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 116 times
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister gets acquainted with Belarusian-made military hardware
- 10.10.2017Zakir Hasanov meets with State Secretary of Belarusian Security Council
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 10.10.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.10.2017Prospects of Belarus-Azerbaijan military, technical cooperation discussed in Minsk
- 09.10.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijani Navy warships depart for Iran on friendly visit
- 04.10.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan, Pakistan discuss expanding military education co-op
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan announces amount of military aid rendered to Afghanistan to date
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijani navy conducts preparatory training for NATO evaluation
- 02.10.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund growing