Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Armenia’s armed forces have 130 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops over the past 24 hours, the Azerbaijani Defence Ministry told APA on Nov. 8.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district, in Ferehli, Jafarli villages of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Shavarshavan village of Noyemberyan district, in Paravakar village and on nameless heights in Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, the Armenian army positions located in Mosesgekh, Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights in Berd district opened fire at the Azerbaijani army positions located in Aghdam, Aghbulag, Munjuglu, Garalar villages and on nameless in Tovuz district.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Zamanli village and on nameless heights in Gadabay district were also shelled from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights in Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
The Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian army positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh village of Terter district, Taghibeyli, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Abdinli, Ajarli, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavend district, Ashaghy Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Gorgan, Kurdlar villages of Fuzuli district, and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavend and Fuzuli districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh district of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2018Serviceman of the Azerbaijani Army died as a result of disastrous occurrence
- 20.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2018New law on Armed Forces of Azerbaijan enters into force
- 19.01.2018Russia delivers modern military equipment to Azerbaijan - VIDEO
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani serviceman martyred in shootout with Armenian army
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan plans to start manufacturing 136 more types of defense products
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan plans to commission two more military factors
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan launches serial production of F-1 hand grenades
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan doubles exports of defense products
- 19.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2018Armenia attempts blame for its non-combat losses on Azerbaijan – Defense Ministry
- 18.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 17.01.2018Next meeting of Azerbaijani-Pakistani working groups kicks off in Baku
- 17.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.01.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Chief of Azerbaijani General Staff to attend NATO meeting
- 15.01.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 15.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 125 times
- 10.01.2018Azerbaijani Army to strengthen further, President Aliyev says - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Azerbaijan increases peacekeeping contingent in Afghanistan
- 09.01.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds consultation
- 06.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry, Military Prosecutor’s Office sign joint action plan
- 05.01.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 04.01.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund jump up
- 04.01.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.01.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 126 times
- 30.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat capability of armored vehicles on frontline
- 27.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 26.12.2017Defense minister checks state of combat readiness of units in frontline zone
- 08.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 08.11.2017Military experts of Azerbaijan and Germany hold meeting
- 09.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 07.11.2017Military attachés accredited to Azerbaijan visit Naval Forces
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister to attend NATO meeting
- 07.11.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops