Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 76 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on April 16.
Armenians were using large-caliber machine guns.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Gushchu Ayrim, Ashaghy Eskipara, Mazam, Gizilhajili, Jafarli villages in Gazakh district, came under fire from the Armenian army positions located in Voskevan village and on nameless heights in Noyemberyan and in Berkaber village and on nameless heights in Ijevan districts.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Aghdam village and on nameless heights in Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari villages and on nameless heights in Armenia’s Berd district.
Meanwhile, Armenia’s armed units stationed on nameless heights in Krasnoselsk district opened fire at the Azerbaijani army positions located in Zamanly village and on nameless heights in Gadabay district.
Positions of the Azerbaijani army were also shelled from the positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt village of Terter district, Bash Garagashly, Yusifjanly, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Ashaghy Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Ashaghy Seyidahmadli, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam and Fuzuli districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Azerbaijan’s defense minister defines tasks to increase operational efficiency of troops
- 21.07.2018Azerbaijani soldier killed as Armenia violates ceasefire
- 20.07.2018Azerbaijani servicemen to participate in Tank Biathlon competition
- 20.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister orders to strengthen security in military units after provocation in Ganja
- 13.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 95 times
- 12.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 97 times
- 10.07.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers leave for Afghanistan
- 09.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire 83 times
- 06.07.2018Road accident in Nakhchivan kills 3 servicemen, 11 injured
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister chairs meeting on results of large-scale exercises
- 06.07.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 04.07.2018Live-fire stage of military exercises underway
- 04.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani defense minister holds meeting in field conditions
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Regrouping of combat aircraft carried out
- 03.07.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 84 times
- 02.07.2018Troops involved in military drills moving to operational areas: Azerbaijani MoD - VİDEO
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises - VIDEO
- 02.07.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Defense Minister: Enemy will feel Azerbaijani army’s strength if Karabakh conflict is not resolved fairly
- 29.06.2018Commemorative event held in Azerbaijan’s Aghstafa to honor martyr Adil Tatarov
- 29.06.2018Naval mine discovered in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 29.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Rules of admission to military lyceums in Azerbaijan changed
- 28.06.2018No incident during OSCE monitoring on Azerbaijan-Armenia border
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijani army under special regime due to high weather temperature
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan army to hold large-scale exercises
- 28.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.06.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 27.06.2018MoD: Azerbaijani army’s counteroffensive in Nakhchivan direction left Armenians ‘knocked out’
- 27.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 118 times
- 27.06.2018Polad Bulbuloglu: "Azerbaijan has every opportunity to resolve the Karabakh conflict by armed means"
- 26.06.2018Georgian defense minister: Georgia and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times