Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
Armenians were using 60-mm mortars (21 shells).
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district, in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Ferehli, Gushchu Ayrim, Gizilhajili villages of Gazakh district, in Munjuglu village and on nameless hills in Tovuz district and on nameless hills in Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions in Paravakar, Berkaber villages of Ijevan district, in Barekamavan, Shavarshavan villages and on nameless hills in Noyemberyan district, on nameless hills in Berd and Krasnoselsk districts.
The positions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces were also fired from positions of Armenian military units located near the occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt, Yarimja villages of Terter district, Taghibeyli, Bash Garvand, Abdinli, Garagashli, Kangarli, Sarijali, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavend district, Ashaghi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless hills in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavend and Fuzuli districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces to be given new duties
- 12.12.2017OSCE to monitor border area between Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 12.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 11.12.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan, Italy discuss military-technical cooperation
- 07.12.2017Protocol signed at 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 07.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 06.12.2017NATO Mobile Training Team holds training course in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey discuss expanding military co-op
- 06.12.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2017Artillery shell found in center of Beylagan city
- 05.12.2017Baku hosts 10th meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue
- 05.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 138 times
- 05.12.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan becomes full member of International Committee of Military Medicine
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan plans to increase number of peacekeepers in Afghanistan next year
- 04.12.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Military Dialogue meeting
- 04.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2017Armenia violates ceasefire 126 times
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 01.12.2017Tanks units of Azerbaijani army conduct live-fire training
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani parliament adopts revised bill on Armed Forces
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish air forces discuss expansion of cooperation
- 01.12.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund rise
- 30.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 127 times
- 29.11.2017Turkish Air Force commander arrives in Azerbaijan
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani defense minister checks combat readiness of rocket and artillery units on frontline
- 29.11.2017Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 28.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev views military unit in Tartar district
- 28.11.2017No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 28.11.2017Cadets of Azerbaijan High Military School start field exit
- 28.11.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 122 times
- 27.11.2017Defense Ministry leadership attend opening of new residential complex for officers
- 27.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 25.11.2017State Commission: Measures are underway to return Azerbaijani soldier’s body
- 25.11.2017Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Air Force of Azerbaijan conducts tactical exercises
- 17.06.2017Defense ministry: Five Armenian servicemen were killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement on latest situation on frontline
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani army starts large-scale drills
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets graduates of Higher Military School
- 16.06.2017Unexploded aerial bomb found in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.06.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest