Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using mortars
Armenians were using 60-mm mortars (21 shells).
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district, in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Ferehli, Gushchu Ayrim, Gizilhajili villages of Gazakh district, in Munjuglu village and on nameless hills in Tovuz district and on nameless hills in Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions in Paravakar, Berkaber villages of Ijevan district, in Barekamavan, Shavarshavan villages and on nameless hills in Noyemberyan district, on nameless hills in Berd and Krasnoselsk districts.
The positions of Azerbaijani Armed Forces were also fired from positions of Armenian military units located near the occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt, Yarimja villages of Terter district, Taghibeyli, Bash Garvand, Abdinli, Garagashli, Kangarli, Sarijali, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavend district, Ashaghi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagharda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Gorgan, Kurdlar, Horadiz villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from positions located on nameless hills in Goranboy, Terter, Aghdam, Khojavend and Fuzuli districts.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar">Kalbajar, Aghdam">Aghdam, Fuzuli">Fuzuli, Jabrayil">Jabrayil, Gubadli">Gubadli and Zangilan">Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE">OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE">OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE">PACE, OSCE">OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 26.06.2017‘Open Doors Day’ held in Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 26.06.2017Letters from citizens delivered to soldiers via www.esgeremektub.com
- 26.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 155 times
- 26.06.2017Today is Day of Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- 24.06.2017Russia delivers modern military equipment to Azerbaijan
- 24.06.2017Zakir Hasanov: Azerbaijani soldiers proved to whole world that they are able to liberate native lands
- 24.06.2017Armenians violate ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani Armed Forces capable of fulfilling all tasks – defense minister
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of plant for production of components for revolver-type grenade launchers in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017No incident during OSCE monitoring on contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates plant for production of components for grenade launcher in Shirvan
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan denies Armenian reports on infiltration attempt and military losses
- 23.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times
- 22.06.2017The opening of the two new military camps were held in the frontline zone
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani MoD: Armenia once again used combat drones
- 22.06.2017OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 22.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani army destroys Armenian UAV
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan releases footage of captured Armenian sabotage group member
- 21.06.2017Azerbaijan captures Armenian sabotage group member
- 20.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on two military servicemen
- 20.06.2017Four colonels of Azerbaijani army promoted to rank of major general
- 20.06.2017Armenian provocation intercepted at Azerbaijan-Iran border
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani army continues large-scale exercises
- 20.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani army to conduct large-scale exercises
- 16.06.2017Defense minister: Enemy should know that Nakhchivan is defended by most professional army
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey stage joint military drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani soldier killed during Armenian provocation
- 15.06.2017Combat engineer units of Azerbaijani army hold tactical exercises
- 14.06.2017Foreign military attachés visit Azerbaijani military unit
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey continue joint military drills
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian special forces continue joint exercises
- 13.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister meets with Commander of Land Forces of Turkey
- 12.06.2017ANAMA disarms 499 UXOs, nearly 100 mines in May 2017
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijani and Turkish armed forces begin joint tactical exercises in Nakhchivan
- 17.06.2017Defense ministry: Five Armenian servicemen were killed on frontline
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement on latest situation on frontline
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani army starts large-scale drills
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani defense minister meets graduates of Higher Military School
- 16.06.2017Unexploded aerial bomb found in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 16.06.2017Martyred Azerbaijani soldier laid to rest