Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan using machine guns, mortars
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 144 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told APA on June 10.
Armenians were using large-caliber machine guns, grenade launchers and 60-mm mortars.
The Azerbaijani army positions in Kohnegishlag village of Aghstafa district, in Kamarli, Gaymagli, Farahli, Gushchu Ayrim, Jafarli villages and on nameless heights of Gazakh district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in Shavarshavan village and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Noyemberyan district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions in Aghdam, Kokhanabi, Asrik Jirdakhan, Munjuglu villages and on nameless heights of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Mosesgekh, Chinari, Aygedzor villages and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district also underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh, Chilaburt villages of Tartar district, Taghibayli, Shikhlar, Bash Garvand, Javahirli, Kangarli, Novruzlu, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Ashagi Veysalli, Gobu Dilagarda, Garvand, Garakhanbayli, Ashagi Seyidahmadli, Gorgan, Kurdlar villages of Fuzuli district, Nuzgar and Mehdili villages of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand and Fuzuli districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 79 times
- 25.05.2018OCC reconnaissance company SEL exercises finish in Baku
- 25.05.2018Armenia launches military drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands
- 25.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2018Distinguished Visitors Day held during OCC reconnaissance company exercises
- 24.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018SEL exercises kick off in Baku as part of Operational Capabilities Concept - VİDEO
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets NATO generals
- 23.05.2018Armenian soldier found dead at combat position
- 23.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 88 times
- 21.05.2018Baku: Armenian reports on alleged involvement of tactical, military aircraft in drills in occupied Azerbaijani lands ‘exaggerated’
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani serviceman killed in Armenian provocation laid to rest
- 21.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 102 times
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s economic growth, increasing military potential brought Armenia to collapse, says defense minister
- 18.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister meets heads of Turkish, Georgian military educational institutions
- 17.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Combines Arms Army stages live-fire drills in Nakhchivan
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev views Combined Army Unit’s training and educational center, inaugurates newly built military hospital
- 16.05.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 16.05.2018Baku hosts meeting of chiefs of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian high military educational institutions
- 16.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 92 times
- 15.05.2018Baku hosts NATO Standing Group of Partner Logistics Experts meeting
- 15.05.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 15.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister inaugurates several military facilities
- 14.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.05.2018Defense Minister: "Azerbaijan Army is fully prepared for large-scale combat operations"
- 11.05.2018Azerbaijani army capable of performing most challenging tasks: presidential aide
- 11.05.2018Hand grenade and cartridges of various calibers found in Baku
- 11.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan Defense Minister visits "Efes-2018" Exercises Management Center
- 10.05.2018Azerbaijan defense minister watches "Efes-2018" int’l exercises
- 10.05.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.05.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijan’s high-ranking military officers pay tribute to national hero Albert Agarunov
- 08.05.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Turkey
- 08.05.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijani and Turkish armed forces begin joint tactical exercises in Nakhchivan
- 12.06.2017ANAMA disarms 499 UXOs, nearly 100 mines in May 2017
- 12.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister meets with Commander of Land Forces of Turkey
- 09.06.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia's special forces continue joint exercises
- 09.06.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 130 times
- 08.06.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan