Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times in one day
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 117 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told Trend Feb. 26.
Armenia’s armed forces have fired 34 shells using 60- and 82-millimeter mortars.
The Azerbaijani army positions located in the Bala Jafarli, Ashagi Askipara, Farakhli, Kemerli villages and on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district, Aghdam village and on nameless heights of Tovuz district, as well as Garaveliler village of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in the Paravakar, Vazashen villages of Ijevan district, the Voskepar, Shavarshavan, Dovekh villages and on nameless heights of the Noyemberyan, Mosesgekh, Chinari, Berd districts of Armenia and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian army positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt village of the Tartar district, Shuraabad, Bash Gervend, Yusifjanli villages of the Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of the Khojavand district, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of the Fuzuli district and Mehdili village of the Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of the Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit China
- 25.04.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 24.04.2018OSCE to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement regarding current situation in Armenia
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Appropriate measures to be taken against Armenian provocations
- 23.04.2018Armenia continues breaking ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Some countries imposed unfounded restrictions on arms sale to Azerbaijan
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Smuggling of nuclear components from Armenia continues
- 20.04.2018Zakir Hasanov meets with top NATO general
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct tactical exercises - VİDEO
- 19.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers return from Afghanistan
- 18.04.2018Shrapnel could not be extracted from body of Azerbaijani civilian wounded in Armenian shelling, says surgeon - UPDATED
- 18.04.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 17.04.2018Baku hosts course as part of NATO Operational Capabilities Concept Program
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani army downs Armenian drone
- 17.04.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 17.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.04.2018Military units of the armed forces of Armenia violated ceasefire 87 times
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijani MoD dismisses reports on alleged shelling of Armenian civilian truck
- 12.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 115 times
- 11.04.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 09.04.2018US National Defense University delegation arrives in Baku
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijani Defense Ministry issues statement
- 09.04.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2018Zakir Hasanov: Any possible provocations by enemy on eve of elections to be prevented
- 07.04.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 102 times
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 1,344 wanted people since early 2018
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani president: "Strengthening the military potential of our country is one of the main priorities"
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijan, Iran mull military cooperation
- 04.04.201825 shells found in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2018U.S. ground troop experts launch seminar in Baku
- 03.04.2018Group of Azerbaijani peacekeepers sent to Afghanistan
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend Moscow Int’l Security Conference
- 03.04.2018ANAMA disarms 1,541 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in March
- 02.04.2018Azerbaijan’s rocket and artillery units conduct live-fire stage of drills - VIDEO
- 02.04.2018Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund revealed
- 27.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times in one day
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan: Another Armenian provocation prevented
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of breaching rules for recovering soldier bodies
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Army destroys enemy’s firing position
- 25.02.2017Defense Ministry: Azerbaijani army suffered losses as Armenians attempted to break into our positions
- 25.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times using mortars, sniper rifles and large-caliber machine guns