Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 117 times in one day
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 117 times violated the ceasefire in various directions along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry told Trend Feb. 26.
Armenia’s armed forces have fired 34 shells using 60- and 82-millimeter mortars.
The Azerbaijani army positions located in the Bala Jafarli, Ashagi Askipara, Farakhli, Kemerli villages and on nameless heights of Azerbaijan’s Gazakh district, Aghdam village and on nameless heights of Tovuz district, as well as Garaveliler village of Gadabay district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located in the Paravakar, Vazashen villages of Ijevan district, the Voskepar, Shavarshavan, Dovekh villages and on nameless heights of the Noyemberyan, Mosesgekh, Chinari, Berd districts of Armenia and on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian army positions located near the Armenian-occupied Chilaburt village of the Tartar district, Shuraabad, Bash Gervend, Yusifjanli villages of the Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of the Khojavand district, Horadiz, Ashagi Veyselli villages of the Fuzuli district and Mehdili village of the Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights of the Goranboy, Tartar, Aghdam, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Minsk
- 22.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani army intercepts Armenian quadcopter
- 21.02.2018Iran ready to help Azerbaijan increase its military power – defense minister
- 21.02.2018OSCE monitors border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 21.02.2018Andrzej Kasprzyk meets with head of Gazakh district executive authority
- 21.02.2018Iran's defense minister arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 135 times
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani defense minister to visit Belarus
- 20.02.2018OSCE expected to monitor border of Azerbaijan, Armenia
- 20.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Iran's defense minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan’s ex-military official does not rule out ‘Armenian involvement’ in assassination attempt on Israeli defense minister
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan, UK ink military cooperation plan
- 16.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 123
- 15.02.2018Five artillery shells detected in Sumgayit
- 15.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times
- 13.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.02.2018NATO training course underway in Baku
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents another border provocation by Armenia - VIDEO
- 12.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 10.02.2018Tasks set by Azerbaijani Supreme Commander-in-Chief brought to attention of army’s command staff
- 10.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times
- 09.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia to develop cooperation in defense industry
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s military policy has proved successful
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijan accepts into armament new military equipment delivered by Russia
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani army prevents Armenian provocation, one enemy soldier killed
- 08.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijan's rocket and artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VIDEO
- 07.02.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 121 times
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijan, Saudi Arabia mull prospects for development of military co-op
- 06.02.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 06.02.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to visit Azerbaijan
- 05.02.2018Ramaldanov: Armenia has just been given ‘Kornet-E’ missile complexes, while Azerbaijan has had them for 10 years
- 05.02.2018OSCE to monitor contact line between Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 05.02.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 129 times in one day
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan: Another Armenian provocation prevented
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of breaching rules for recovering soldier bodies
- 25.02.2017Azerbaijani Army destroys enemy’s firing position
- 25.02.2017Defense Ministry: Azerbaijani army suffered losses as Armenians attempted to break into our positions
- 25.02.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times using mortars, sniper rifles and large-caliber machine guns