Armed incident in Armenian military unit in Karabakh leaves two wounded
An incident occurred in an Armenian military unit stationed in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.
Armenian soldier Haykaz Babayan was brutally beaten by detachment commander Mesrop Ashotyan and commander of security unit, warrant officer Masis Sargsyan as he refused to take the combat duty of another soldier, APA has learned.
Having suffered physical pressure, Babayan opened fire with a machine gun, wounding warrant officer Sargsyan in the leg and his fellow soldier, whose name has not been disclosed, in the stomach.
The wounded were taken to a military hospital in Khankendi. Warrant officer Masis Sargsyan is in stable condition, the other wounded is in intensive care unit.
According to information, the command of the military unit, where the incident occurred, in order to hide it and avoid responsibility, told the Defense Ministry leadership that it was only an incident. An investigation is underway into the incident.
The cases of violation of statutory regulations and the rules of combat duty have recently increased in Armenia. Two similar cases were reported in the Armenian army in November 2016, according to official information released by the Armenian side.
On November 13, 2016, an Armenian soldier was shot dead by junior sergeant Vardan Arakelyan as a result of gross violation of the rules of combat duty.
On November 22, another dispute erupted between two Armenian soldiers A. Nersesyan and Aznavur Balayan, who were both on combat duty, as a result of which the letter was wounded in the head. Balayan is still being treated in the intensive care unit of the Central Military Hospital in Yerevan.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Defense Ministry: Azerbaijani Army is in full control of operational situation along contact line
- 23.06.2018Turkish aircraft arrive in Azerbaijan to participate in festive events
- 23.06.2018Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 22.06.2018Military balance between Azerbaijan, Armenia changed in Baku’s favor – defense minister
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani army held over 20 tactical exercises in 2017, defense minister says
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s engineering troops launch special tactical exercise
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani Armed Forces Day marked in London
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani Air Force continues preparation for upcoming military parade
- 22.06.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD: Artsrun Hovhannisyan continues to surprise people with his stupid comments
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani SBS issues statement on border shootout, wounded soldier awarded medal - UPDATED
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani army liberates strategic heights, controls winery in Nakhchivan - VİDEO
- 21.06.2018OSCE permanent representatives arrive in Azerbaijan
- 21.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 125 times
- 20.06.2018Turkish servicemen arrive in Azerbaijan to participate in festive events
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army conducts field exercises - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani defense minister calls on media to be sensitive while reporting solider deaths
- 20.06.2018Zakir Hasanov: Supreme Commander-in-Chief diplomatically brought down Sargsyan gov’t, without using weaponry
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani state meets all needs of army, says defense minister
- 20.06.2018Defense minister: Azerbaijani army now controls road to Lachin
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army owns most advanced missile, artillery systems: defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani army fully ready and able to fulfill any command – defense minister
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MoD releases video about liberation of Gunnut village - VİDEO
- 20.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 87 times
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 19.06.2018Minister of Defense participates in opening of military unit of Rocket and Artillery Troops in frontline zone
- 19.06.2018Next tactical UAV belonging to Armenia destroyed
- 19.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire 95 times
- 18.06.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2018Azerbaijan’s defense minister: Our army must always be ready to suppress provocation of enemy
- 16.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijani Army Corps exercises successfully completed
- 15.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters continue flights over Baku in preparation for parade
- 15.06.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 94 times
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani military conducts practical firing from DANA self-propelled artillery systems
- 14.06.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani army’s rocket, artillery formations conduct live-fire exercises - VİDEO
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s IFV crews improve combat skills
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan’s military aircraft, helicopters conduct flights over Baku in preparation for parade - UPDATED
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia sign agreement on activities of border commissioners
- 06.01.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2017ANAMA disarms 1068 UXOs, 14 mines in December
- 07.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 39 times
- 05.01.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed 79M manats
- 05.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 36 times
- 04.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 31 times