Armed incident in Armenian military unit in Karabakh leaves two wounded
An incident occurred in an Armenian military unit stationed in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.
Armenian soldier Haykaz Babayan was brutally beaten by detachment commander Mesrop Ashotyan and commander of security unit, warrant officer Masis Sargsyan as he refused to take the combat duty of another soldier, APA has learned.
Having suffered physical pressure, Babayan opened fire with a machine gun, wounding warrant officer Sargsyan in the leg and his fellow soldier, whose name has not been disclosed, in the stomach.
The wounded were taken to a military hospital in Khankendi. Warrant officer Masis Sargsyan is in stable condition, the other wounded is in intensive care unit.
According to information, the command of the military unit, where the incident occurred, in order to hide it and avoid responsibility, told the Defense Ministry leadership that it was only an incident. An investigation is underway into the incident.
The cases of violation of statutory regulations and the rules of combat duty have recently increased in Armenia. Two similar cases were reported in the Armenian army in November 2016, according to official information released by the Armenian side.
On November 13, 2016, an Armenian soldier was shot dead by junior sergeant Vardan Arakelyan as a result of gross violation of the rules of combat duty.
On November 22, another dispute erupted between two Armenian soldiers A. Nersesyan and Aznavur Balayan, who were both on combat duty, as a result of which the letter was wounded in the head. Balayan is still being treated in the intensive care unit of the Central Military Hospital in Yerevan.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Group of Azerbaijani military officers promoted to colonel
- 19.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2018Personnel, military equipment involved in Azerbaijan’s large-scale drills return to places of permanent deployment - VİDEO
- 17.03.2018Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2018Defense Minister: Large-scale drills prove Azerbaijani army has high level of operational and combat readiness
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani defense minister visits new helicopter military unit in frontline zone - VİDEO
- 16.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 90 times
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani army holds live-fire stage of large-scale drills - VIDEO
- 15.03.201812 missiles found in Aghstafa
- 15.03.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 15.03.2018Armenia continues military drills in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 15.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2018Rocket, artillery troops of Azerbaijani army deployed to firing positions - VIDEO
- 14.03.2018Armenia again breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Actions taken on terrain board in course of military drills in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Terrain reconnaissance conducted during Azerbaijani army’s drills - VİDEO
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijan’s tank units involved in large-scale drills
- 13.03.2018Troops redeployed at night during Azerbaijani Army exercises
- 13.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani troops involved in large-scale exercises moving to operational areas - VIDEO
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijan army starts large-scale exercises
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Service for Mobilization and Conscription
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of employees of State Migration Service
- 09.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev increases salaries of servicemen of Special State Protection Service
- 09.03.2018Shamsaddin Heydarov awarded “Honored Doctor” title
- 09.03.2018Tofig Huseynov promoted to Major General
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia ink military co-op plan for 2018
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president receives Georgian defense minister - UPDATED
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold large-scale military drills involving 25,000 personnel
- 09.03.2018Armenia again violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 08.03.2018Open Doors Day will be held on March 20
- 08.03.2018U.S. European Command held a seminar in Baku
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of servicemen of State Border Service
- 07.03.2018No incident during OSCE contact line monitoring
- 07.03.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 93 times
- 06.03.2018Azerbaijani president signs order on conscription
- 06.03.2018Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov visits military units on front line
- 06.03.2018OSCE to monitor contact line of Azerbaijani, Armenian troops
- 05.03.2018ANAMA disarms 1,437 UXOs, 1 anti-tank mine in February
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani president increases salaries of military servants and non-civil servants
- 06.01.2017Armenia continues violating ceasefire with Azerbaijan
- 06.01.2017ANAMA disarms 1068 UXOs, 14 mines in December
- 07.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 39 times
- 05.01.2017Assets of Azerbaijani Armed Forces Relief Fund exceed 79M manats
- 05.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 36 times
- 04.01.2017Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 31 times