Italian court rejects Puglia appeal on TAP olive trees
The Lazio regional administrative court (TAR) on Thursday rejected an appeal by the Puglia region against a government order to uproot and replant olive trees for the construction of the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline (TAP), APA reported citing ANSA agency.
On April 6 the Lazio TAR suspended an environment ministry permit for the removal of olive trees in the area of the work site for the TAP pipeline in Melendugno, Puglia, pending today's hearing on the appeal against the permit.
On April 10 Industry Minister Carlo Calenda ruled out a change of location for the TAP project in Puglia following big protests over the removal of olive trees. "Changing now would mean saying that we won't do it, but it is fundamentally important that we do," Calenda told reporters in Rome. "Fourteen different alternatives were discussed for the arrival site. The infrastructure is in the implementation phase and the debate lasted a very long time".
TAP is a part of the Southern Gas Corridor, which is one of the priority energy projects for the European Union.
The project envisages transportation of gas from Azerbaijan's Shah Deniz Stage 2 to the EU countries.
The pipeline will connect to the Trans Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP) on the Turkish-Greek border, run through Greece, Albania and the Adriatic Sea, before coming ashore in Italy’s south.
TAP will be 878 kilometers in length (Greece 550 kilometers, Albania 215 kilometers, Adriatic Sea 105 kilometers, and Italy 8 kilometers). Its highest point will be 1,800 meters in Albania’s mountains, while its lowest point will be 820 meters beneath the sea.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Kuwait to launch direct flights to Baku
- 20.05.2017Baku Transport Agency to allocate 430 buses for day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 19.05.2017Georgia increases car export to Azerbaijan by 62%
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn over AZN 256M
- 16.05.2017Lada decreases sale in Azerbaijan 86%
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan sets rules regarding public beaches
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 1.8M for construction of Mehdiabad-Fatmayi-Goradil motor road
- 13.05.2017Traffic restored on Zigh-Airport Hwy in Baku - UPDATED
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of newly reconstructed Samad Vurgun Street in Pirallahi
- 11.05.2017Baku International Bus Terminal to operate under Ministry of Transport, Communication and High Technologies - EXCLUSIVE
- 11.05.2017AzerGold to earn $20M from sale of gold and silver
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani president inaugurates new bridge in Pirallahi
- 08.05.2017Transportations through TRACECA increase 11%
- 05.05.2017Heydar Aliyev International Airport serves over 1 million passengers since beginning of year
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 26.04.2017TransCaspian-2017 exhibition kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan decreases automobile manufacture 42%
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev launched newly reconstructed Varvara Hydroelectric Power Station
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev opened Salahli-Balchili-Aghgiragli-Varvara-Jirdakhan highway in Yevlakh
- 14.04.2017Silk Way Airlines to purchase ten Boeing-737 MAX aircrafts for $1B
- 14.04.2017Direct flights to be launched from Azerbaijan to Bodrum
- 12.04.2017FM: Baku–Tbilisi–Kars project will facilitate uninterrupted railway access between East and West
- 07.04.2017Silk Way Airlines expands fleet with another Boeing 747-8F freighter
- 30.03.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3.8M for road construction in Saatli district
- 29.03.2017ADB may allocate $200M to Azerbaijan Railways
- 28.03.2017Water supply systems launched in Saatli district
- 28.03.2017Motor road launched after reconstruction in Saatli district
- 25.03.2017Turkish minister: BTK railway will be connected to railroad from Black Sea
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 14M for improvement of drinking water supply of population
- 16.03.2017Air Arabia to implement Sharjah-Baku-Sharjah flights every day since June
- 16.03.2017Air Arabia implements its first flight to Baku
- 15.03.2017Movement and parking around competition venues to be limited during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani PM signs order on reconstruction of 1st micro district in Baku
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Airbus vice-president in Paris - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017Minibus involved in fatal road accident in Baku operated illegally - ministry
- 06.03.2017NordStar suspends implementing flights from three Russian cities to Azerbaijan
- 03.03.2017Kaspersky Lab says Azerbaijan underwent over 2.2 milllion cyber attacks in 2016
- 02.03.2017Over 50M tonnes of cargo transported through TRACECA last year
- 01.03.2017APAMark provided marketing and PR services for 15 companies in 2016 – Director General
- 01.03.2017Azerbaijan begins registering houses in liberated Jojug Marjanli
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan building 245 high-rise buildings in Baku - committee chairman
- 21.04.2017Musa Panahov continues to work as deputy minister of transport, communication and high technologies - UPDATED
- 24.04.2017EIB to allocate €250M for road construction in Georgia
- 20.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 4M for repair of road in Sumgayit
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M for construction of buildings in Yevlakh district
- 18.04.2017Iran intends to create transport corridor to connect Persian Gulf with Black Sea