Heydar Aliyev International Airport targets record high in passenger transportation
In January-August 2017, Heydar Aliyev International Airport served over 2.7 million passengers, which is 29 percent more than the previous year. It is expected that by the end of 2017 the final passenger count will exceed the last year's figure of 3.5 million passengers, which will be another record high of the airport, APA-Economics reports citing to the press service of Heydar Aliyev International Airport.
During the reporting period, Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL) carried 1.61 million passengers, 408,000 of which accounted for domestic flights.
84.9 percent of passengers were carried by international flights. According to the statistics of the first eight months of 2017, the most popular international destinations from Baku are Moscow, Istanbul, Dubai, Kiev and Tehran. 1.34 million passengers were transported on these destinations.
The five most active airlines during this period include AZAL, Turkish Airlines, flyDubai, Aeroflot and Ukraine International Airlines (UIA). 1.78 million passengers were transported on international directions by these airlines.
Currently, Heydar Aliyev International Airport serves 29 airlines on 53 destinations. Seven airlines - IrAero, Jazeera Airways, ZagrosJet, Pegas Fly, Kish Air, Nordwind Airlines and Wataniya Airlines launched flights starting from the summer of this year.
Starting from September this year, first national low-cost airline Buta Airways launched its flights. Buta Airways flies to Moscow, Kiev, Tbilisi, Kazan, Mineralnye Vody, Tehran and Antalya. Starting from October 29, the low-cost airline will start flights from Baku to Istanbul and St. Petersburg.
The new airport terminal of Heydar Aliyev Airport (Terminal 1) was put into operation in April 2014. Its total area is 65,000 square meters.
Heydar Aliyev International Airport was awarded the category of "4 stars" by the Skytrax, which is influential British consulting company specializing in the study of the quality of services provided by various airlines and airports worldwide.
In March this year Baku Heydar Aliyev Airport was named the best airport among airports of Russia and CIS countries for the level of the provided services, being awarded the prestigious Skytrax World Airport Awards.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Enjoy millions of music pieces every day with AzercellPlusMusic
- 22.02.2018Baku-Guba-Russian border highway to be paid road
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards several people for contributing to development of road and transport infrastructure
- 21.02.2018AZN 2M allocated for construction of carpet weaving workshop in Gobustan
- 20.02.2018AZN 15M allocated to Azersu OJSC to provide water meters to consumers
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 150mln for Baku-Guba-Russian Federation highway
- 19.02.2018Number of officially unemployed population announced
- 16.02.2018Caspian European Club tourism committee holds session
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 142M this year
- 16.02.2018Automobile and truck manufacture in Azerbaijan stops last month
- 15.02.2018AZN 2M allocated for construction of carpet weaving workshop in Nakhchivan
- 15.02.2018Gilan Holding holds blood donation campaign for patients with thalassemia in Sumgayit
- 14.02.2018Freightage by Europe-Caucasus-Asia transport corridor increased last year
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan, Iran to launch joint automobile plant in March
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan allocates 19.5mln manats for construction of kindergartens in districts
- 09.02.2018AZN 15.52M allocated for construction of Gobustan Central Hospital
- 09.02.2018Number and salary of workers in economy announced
- 09.02.2018Javid Gurbanov: Russia is interested in transportation of ironware via BTK
- 09.02.2018Austria to use BTK for cargo transportation to Kazakhstan
- 08.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, which has no access to open seas, will turn into one of transport hubs in Eurasia
- 07.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs a decree on some issues related to activities of State Housing Construction Agency
- 07.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers to determine cases allowing replacement of concessional apartments
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 12M for reconstruction of water supply and sewerage system in Mingechevir
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 2M for road construction in Khizi
- 01.02.2018Azerbaijani Energy Minister: Implementation of Southern Gas Corridor entering a crucial stage
- 01.02.2018“AzerTelecom” provides modern telecommunication services - ®
- 30.01.2018EU official: Railway project turns Azerbaijan into a transport corridor
- 30.01.2018EU says progress achieved in talks with Azerbaijan on aviation deal
- 30.01.2018EU official: BTK is an important route
- 29.01.2018Nearly 2.7 million tourists visit Azerbaijan in 2017
- 24.01.2018Ambassador: Alat and Turkmenbashi ports to change geography of freightage
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan railway line has changed regional transport map
- 23.01.2018Iran, Azerbaijan to sign agreement on financing of Rasht-Astara railway project next month
- 22.01.2018Registration for 4th CEO Lunch Tbilisi starts
- 19.01.2018Municipalities in Azerbaijan to collect funds from parking spaces provided on municipal roads
- 18.01.2018Catering turnover rises more than 3% in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 17.01.2018Motor car manufacture in declines 89% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 856M this year
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan increases gold production by 3.4-fold last year
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan sees 0.1% growth in economy
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 1.5M for supply of Jojug Marjanli’s sowing areas with irrigation water
- 14.09.2017Anaklia and New Port of Baku in Alat intend to establish close cooperation - INTERVIEW
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan sharply decreases automobile manufacture
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan Railways CJSC announces date of BTK’s opening ceremony
- 11.09.2017Representatives of Korean shipbuilding companies to visit Azerbaijan
- 11.09.2017Direct flights to be launched between Korea and Azerbaijan