WB forecasts economic growth in Azerbaijan for next two years
In May’s report, the forecast was 1.9%.
“The economic development almost in the all countries of the region is now better than previous forecast. This was caused by increase of production and export in recent months. Average volume of the export is higher than global rate. Russia and Belarus have left recession behind. However, Azerbaijan, which suffered from cheap oil price, is expected to face economic lag this year. Increase of the forecast on economic growth of the region is related to decline in unemployment rate, normalization of inflation, reduction in budget deficit”, the bank said.
According to the bank, the GDP dropped 1.3% in Azerbaijan in the first half of 2017: “This was mainly caused by decline in oil GDP. As is known, Azerbaijan has joined the OPEC agreement on output cut. In spite of the crisis in the banking sector, the non-oil sector increased 1.7%. Agriculture and processing sector played an important role in here. Annual inflation made up 13.9%, which is connected with increase of tariffs of power energy, water and gas. This factor caused price rise in the country. Taking into account the acceleration of inflation, the Central Bank of Azerbaijan went on pursuing tight monetary policy. Increase of export and decline of import in the first half caused positive balance, which is equal to 4.4% of the GDP. Despite the fact that oil output fell sharply, the oil export increased by 42%, export of non-oil products by 11%. Manat rate against dollar strengthened 4.4%”.
Bank says the problems in financial sector have negative impact on the economy: “Provision of crediting dropped 15.6%, asset quality continues to deteriorate. Share of troubled loan in loan portfolio reached 13%, while it was 9% last year. Although manat deposit in the banks increased in the second quarter, the deposit portfolio narrowed 4.4%”.
Touching upon restructuring of IBA liabilities, the World Bank noted that Azerbaijan’s public debt will increase 6% as a result of this process at the end of the year.
In spite of rise in oil price, the economy will weaken 1.4% in 2017.
According to bank’s forecast, the GDP will grow 0.9% in 2018. This will be caused by launch of Shahdeniz 2.
The World Bank forecasts 1.5% economic growth in 2019.
Moreover, bank says the inflation will be 11.2% this year, 5% and 4.9% in the next two years.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Subsistence minimum to be increased by 11%
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan announces new customs duties for import of wheat, rice and corn
- 23.11.2017Istanbul hosts World Halal Summit
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament gives time to government to consider budget proposals
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament discussing 2018 budget package
- 23.11.2017IBA to be put up for privatization in 2018
- 23.11.2017Central Bank: Stability of exchange rate to be kept under control in 2018
- 23.11.2017Alim Guliyev: Number of banks participating in deposit auctions quintupled
- 22.11.2017Elman Rustamov: Inflation is our key problem
- 22.11.2017CBA chairman: Money supply to increase by year-end
- 22.11.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 22.11.2017EBRD: Tight monetary policy should continue in Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017New customs duties to be applied in Azerbaijan next year
- 21.11.2017Fitch upgrades the ratings of the International Bank of Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017UK trade mission to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017Elman Rustamov: Conformation of economy with current oil price completed
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan’s strategic currency reserves exceed $42B
- 21.11.2017CBA Chairman: exchange rate of manat stabilized
- 21.11.2017Janet Yellen submits resignation from Fed
- 20.11.2017IBA-Moscow – one of 10 most profitable banks in Russia
- 20.11.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $600M
- 20.11.2017AGBank’s mortgage portfolio exceeds AZN 56M
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments/premiums ratio
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums near AZN 463
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 723 million to payment of loan interests
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 14.2B on food this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia get 6.5% rise in trade turnover
- 16.11.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 9.5%
- 16.11.2017SCC transfers AZN 2.3B to state budget this year
- 16.11.2017AZN12.5B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 708M this year
- 16.11.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 593M
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 0.7% decline in economy
- 15.11.2017CBA: Global rise of some food products prevent reduction in inflation rate
- 15.11.2017New CEO of Caspian European Club announced
- 19.10.2017Bank Silk Way concludes three quarters with profit
- 19.10.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 20.10.2017Parameters of 2018 state budget announced
- 19.10.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $500M
- 19.10.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to parliament
- 19.10.2017Central Bank transfers AZN 250M to state budget