WB forecasts economic growth in Azerbaijan for next two years
In May’s report, the forecast was 1.9%.
“The economic development almost in the all countries of the region is now better than previous forecast. This was caused by increase of production and export in recent months. Average volume of the export is higher than global rate. Russia and Belarus have left recession behind. However, Azerbaijan, which suffered from cheap oil price, is expected to face economic lag this year. Increase of the forecast on economic growth of the region is related to decline in unemployment rate, normalization of inflation, reduction in budget deficit”, the bank said.
According to the bank, the GDP dropped 1.3% in Azerbaijan in the first half of 2017: “This was mainly caused by decline in oil GDP. As is known, Azerbaijan has joined the OPEC agreement on output cut. In spite of the crisis in the banking sector, the non-oil sector increased 1.7%. Agriculture and processing sector played an important role in here. Annual inflation made up 13.9%, which is connected with increase of tariffs of power energy, water and gas. This factor caused price rise in the country. Taking into account the acceleration of inflation, the Central Bank of Azerbaijan went on pursuing tight monetary policy. Increase of export and decline of import in the first half caused positive balance, which is equal to 4.4% of the GDP. Despite the fact that oil output fell sharply, the oil export increased by 42%, export of non-oil products by 11%. Manat rate against dollar strengthened 4.4%”.
Bank says the problems in financial sector have negative impact on the economy: “Provision of crediting dropped 15.6%, asset quality continues to deteriorate. Share of troubled loan in loan portfolio reached 13%, while it was 9% last year. Although manat deposit in the banks increased in the second quarter, the deposit portfolio narrowed 4.4%”.
Touching upon restructuring of IBA liabilities, the World Bank noted that Azerbaijan’s public debt will increase 6% as a result of this process at the end of the year.
In spite of rise in oil price, the economy will weaken 1.4% in 2017.
According to bank’s forecast, the GDP will grow 0.9% in 2018. This will be caused by launch of Shahdeniz 2.
The World Bank forecasts 1.5% economic growth in 2019.
Moreover, bank says the inflation will be 11.2% this year, 5% and 4.9% in the next two years.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018USD rate for February 26 announced
- 23.02.2018Rabitabank’s authorized capital reaches AZN 101.3M
- 23.02.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and India reaches 460M
- 22.02.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 200M
- 22.02.2018Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s economy to grow 2% in 2019
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/premium ratio
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 21.02.2018CBA attracts more than AZN 1B from deposit auction last year
- 21.02.2018CBA: SOFAZ sold $3.6B in currency auction last year
- 21.02.2018Stabilization of manat rate causes sharp decline in sale of currency
- 21.02.2018Money transfers to Azerbaijan doubled last year
- 21.02.2018AZN 1.2B invested in banks’ equity capital in 2016-2017
- 20.02.2018More than 70% of all transactions at AccessBank go online - INTERVIEW
- 20.02.2018BSE turnover increases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases car import from Georgia by six fold
- 20.02.2018Deputy Minister: Debts on mandatory state social insurance as of January 1, 2018 exceed AZN 364M
- 20.02.2018Mandatory state social insurance amnesty expected in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 19.02.2018Gala Insurance increases premiums by 27%
- 19.02.2018Petkim doubles profit
- 19.02.2018PASHA Yatirim Bankasi issues TRY 32.5M bonds
- 19.02.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $91M in January
- 19.02.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 19.02.2018Yapi Kredi Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Customs Committee increases budget transfers
- 16.02.2018USD rate for Feb.19 announced
- 16.02.2018Credit institutions issues AZN 1.3B-shares last year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 715M to state budget this year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 77.6B to state budget during 15 years - ANALYSIS
- 16.02.2018Personal incomes rise by 12% in Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Average exchange rate of manat for January announced
- 15.02.2018Economic growth in Azerbaijan makes up 2% in January
- 15.02.2018State budget executed with surplus of AZN 977M in January
- 15.02.2018Baku hosts next meeting of Azerbaijan-Qatar intergovernmental commission
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia
- 15.02.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 19.10.2017Bank Silk Way concludes three quarters with profit
- 19.10.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 20.10.2017Parameters of 2018 state budget announced
- 19.10.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $500M
- 19.10.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to parliament
- 19.10.2017Central Bank transfers AZN 250M to state budget