WB forecasts economic growth in Azerbaijan for next two years
In May’s report, the forecast was 1.9%.
“The economic development almost in the all countries of the region is now better than previous forecast. This was caused by increase of production and export in recent months. Average volume of the export is higher than global rate. Russia and Belarus have left recession behind. However, Azerbaijan, which suffered from cheap oil price, is expected to face economic lag this year. Increase of the forecast on economic growth of the region is related to decline in unemployment rate, normalization of inflation, reduction in budget deficit”, the bank said.
According to the bank, the GDP dropped 1.3% in Azerbaijan in the first half of 2017: “This was mainly caused by decline in oil GDP. As is known, Azerbaijan has joined the OPEC agreement on output cut. In spite of the crisis in the banking sector, the non-oil sector increased 1.7%. Agriculture and processing sector played an important role in here. Annual inflation made up 13.9%, which is connected with increase of tariffs of power energy, water and gas. This factor caused price rise in the country. Taking into account the acceleration of inflation, the Central Bank of Azerbaijan went on pursuing tight monetary policy. Increase of export and decline of import in the first half caused positive balance, which is equal to 4.4% of the GDP. Despite the fact that oil output fell sharply, the oil export increased by 42%, export of non-oil products by 11%. Manat rate against dollar strengthened 4.4%”.
Bank says the problems in financial sector have negative impact on the economy: “Provision of crediting dropped 15.6%, asset quality continues to deteriorate. Share of troubled loan in loan portfolio reached 13%, while it was 9% last year. Although manat deposit in the banks increased in the second quarter, the deposit portfolio narrowed 4.4%”.
Touching upon restructuring of IBA liabilities, the World Bank noted that Azerbaijan’s public debt will increase 6% as a result of this process at the end of the year.
In spite of rise in oil price, the economy will weaken 1.4% in 2017.
According to bank’s forecast, the GDP will grow 0.9% in 2018. This will be caused by launch of Shahdeniz 2.
The World Bank forecasts 1.5% economic growth in 2019.
Moreover, bank says the inflation will be 11.2% this year, 5% and 4.9% in the next two years.
Related news releases
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan manufactures 130 cars this year
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% decline in capital outflow
- 14.06.2018Direct investments to Azerbaijan exceed $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Positive balance on money transfers to Azerbaijan reaches AZN 159M in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s net financial assets increase by $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees $ 1.1B-surplus in balance of payment
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in five months makes up $3.3B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s funds in IBA reach AZN 1.5B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR gets 25% rise in money in banks
- 14.06.2018Compensations paid to SOCAR management last year exceed AZN 1.2M
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 350M in this year
- 14.06.2018Average exchange rate of manat for May announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.1% growth in economy
- 14.06.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan lowers interest rates
- 14.06.2018Budget executed with a surplus of AZN 651mln during 5 months of 2018
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: ‘To lower loan interest rates, risks have to be eliminated’
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: Inflation rate projected to become single-digit by end of 2018
- 13.06.2018Fed raises rates amid stronger inflation, drops crisis-era guidance
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan Railways to increase authorized capital by AZN 100M
- 13.06.2018SCC transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget in five months
- 13.06.2018AZN 5.2B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital in five months of 2018
- 13.06.2018Seminar on Azerbaijan’s customs – challenges for today and tomorrow kicks off in Baku
- 13.06.2018Ministry of Taxes transfers AZN 2.4B to state budget
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani population spend AZN 7B on food this year
- 12.06.2018Reasons for revision of state budget announced
- 12.06.2018SOFAZ’s budget transfers increased by 19%
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan increases forecast on SCC’s budget transfers by 30%
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan’s external public debt for four months announced
- 12.06.2018Forecast on budget transfers through Ministry of Taxes increased by 6%
- 12.06.2018Base oil price in 2018 state budget to be increased
- 12.06.2018Revenues and expenditures of 2018 state budget to be increased
- 12.06.2018Draft law on amendments to 2018 state budget submitted to parliament
- 12.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 11.06.2018Bakcell supports events organized by British Embassy
- 11.06.2018SOCAR’s new building opened in Istanbul
- 11.06.2018Ata Holding sees decline in assets
- 11.06.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 11.06.2018Average monthly salary of workers in economy reaches AZN 539
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3.3M for road construction Gazakh
- 08.06.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 19.10.2017Bank Silk Way concludes three quarters with profit
- 19.10.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 20.10.2017Parameters of 2018 state budget announced
- 19.10.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $500M
- 19.10.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to parliament
- 19.10.2017Central Bank transfers AZN 250M to state budget