Wall Street starts week upbeat, boosted by tech shares
U.S. stocks edged higher on Monday, led by gains in technology stocks as investors were optimistic ahead of earnings, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The S&P 500 technology index .SPLRCT was up 0.8 percent, followed by a 0.6 percent gain in the materials index .SPLRCM.
Technology is expected to have had among the strongest earnings growth for the second quarter, according to Thomson Reuters data.
"You had a little bit of a sell-off in the tech sector over the last couple of weeks," said Jeff Carbone, managing partner at Cornerstone Financial Partners. "This shows that investors may be seeing opportunities to get in ... as we head into earnings season."
U.S. companies have begun to release second-quarter earnings, with reports due this week from big U.S. banks including JPMorgan Chase (JPM.N), Wells Fargo (WFC.N) and Citigroup (C.N). S&P 500 earnings are forecast up 7.9 percent in the second quarter compared with a year ago.
In a significant victory for the banking industry, the Federal Reserve late last month approved plans from the 34 largest U.S. banks to use extra capital for stock buybacks, dividends and other purposes.
The healthcare sector .SPXHC was down 0.3 percent as investors waited for clarity on the healthcare legislation overhaul proposed in Washington.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI fell 5.82 points, or 0.03 percent, to end at 21,408.52, the S&P 500 .SPX gained 2.25 points, or 0.09 percent, to 2,427.43 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC added 23.31 points, or 0.38 percent, to 6,176.39.
Snap (SNAP.N) shares fell below their IPO price of $17 for the first time, to hit a low of $16.95. The stock closed at $16.99, down 1.1 percent. Snap was the hottest U.S. technology listing in years when it went public in March.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen's semi-annual testimony may be the highlight this week for investors looking for cues on further interest rate hikes. She will testify on Wednesday and Thursday.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijan Industry Bank ends Q2 on profit
- 16.07.2018Turan Bank’s gets 13% decline in deposit portfolio
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijan announces manat rate for July 17
- 16.07.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 16.07.2018IBA strengthens its capital position
- 13.07.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 13.07.2018Payments on insurance against industrial accidents amounts to AZN 1.8M
- 13.07.2018Premiums on real estate compulsory insurance increase
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in compulsory insurance of automobiles
- 13.07.2018Azer Turk Bank offers free salary cards to corporate clients
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment growth rate in H1
- 13.07.2018Investments in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital decline by 14%
- 13.07.2018Kapital Bank’s assets in Q2 make up AZN 3.5B
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for ratio of payments to premiums in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments in H1
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums exceed AZN 396M
- 13.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 12.07.2018Georgia’s debt to Azerbaijan declines
- 12.07.2018EBRD increases its share in Unibank
- 12.07.2018Nakhchivanbank ends Q2 on profit
- 12.07.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 38%
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover doubles
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan triples car import
- 12.07.2018London-Mumbai flight makes emergency landing in Baku
- 12.07.2018BSE turnover increases by 2.7-fold
- 12.07.2018Pasha Capital heads brokers ranking for June
- 11.07.2018Bank Melli Iran Baku sees decline in loan portfolio
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan exports products to 95 countries in five months
- 11.07.2018Average monthly salary in Azerbaijan increases by 4%
- 11.07.2018British law firm shuts down its Azerbaijan-based office
- 11.07.2018British company opens office in Azerbaijan
- 11.07.2018One more NBCI declared bankrupt in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018NBC Bank gets 23% rise in liabilities
- 10.07.2018State budget executed with surplus of AZN 297M ion H1
- 09.07.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 07.07.2018Deputy chairmen of State Customs Committee changed
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijani President approves amendments to 2018 state budget
- 11.07.2017Troubled loan makes up 9.4% of NBC Bank’s loan portfolio
- 11.07.2017Fed's Williams still sees rate hike
- 11.07.2017Kapital Bank’s profit makes up AZN 41M
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover nears $2B
- 10.07.2017Qatar has $340 billion in reserves – central bank
- 10.07.2017State Customs Committee increases budget transfer 15%