Wall Street starts week upbeat, boosted by tech shares
U.S. stocks edged higher on Monday, led by gains in technology stocks as investors were optimistic ahead of earnings, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The S&P 500 technology index .SPLRCT was up 0.8 percent, followed by a 0.6 percent gain in the materials index .SPLRCM.
Technology is expected to have had among the strongest earnings growth for the second quarter, according to Thomson Reuters data.
"You had a little bit of a sell-off in the tech sector over the last couple of weeks," said Jeff Carbone, managing partner at Cornerstone Financial Partners. "This shows that investors may be seeing opportunities to get in ... as we head into earnings season."
U.S. companies have begun to release second-quarter earnings, with reports due this week from big U.S. banks including JPMorgan Chase (JPM.N), Wells Fargo (WFC.N) and Citigroup (C.N). S&P 500 earnings are forecast up 7.9 percent in the second quarter compared with a year ago.
In a significant victory for the banking industry, the Federal Reserve late last month approved plans from the 34 largest U.S. banks to use extra capital for stock buybacks, dividends and other purposes.
The healthcare sector .SPXHC was down 0.3 percent as investors waited for clarity on the healthcare legislation overhaul proposed in Washington.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI fell 5.82 points, or 0.03 percent, to end at 21,408.52, the S&P 500 .SPX gained 2.25 points, or 0.09 percent, to 2,427.43 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC added 23.31 points, or 0.38 percent, to 6,176.39.
Snap (SNAP.N) shares fell below their IPO price of $17 for the first time, to hit a low of $16.95. The stock closed at $16.99, down 1.1 percent. Snap was the hottest U.S. technology listing in years when it went public in March.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen's semi-annual testimony may be the highlight this week for investors looking for cues on further interest rate hikes. She will testify on Wednesday and Thursday.
Related news releases
- 24.10.2017Dollar hits three-month peak vs. yen after Abe party's win
- 23.10.2017Xalg Insurance sees 2% decline in assets
- 23.10.2017Muganbank concludes nine months with loss
- 23.10.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 23.10.2017PASHA Bank Georgia concludes nine months with profit
- 23.10.2017Date of Iranian minister’s visit to Azerbaijan changed
- 23.10.2017BakuBus concludes 2016 with loss
- 20.10.2017Silk Way Insurance concludes nine months with profit
- 20.10.2017Baku branch of National Bank of Pakistan concludes quarter with loss
- 20.10.2017Bank VTB Azerbaijan increases deposit portfolio
- 20.10.2017AZN 442M to be paid to IBA creditors next year
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan to allocate AZN 250M for social mortgage from 2018 state budget
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover makes up $2B
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan increases expenditures on law-enforcement agencies, prosecutor’s office, defence and judiciary in 2018 state budget
- 20.10.2017Economic growth in Azerbaijan to make up 1.5% next year
- 20.10.2017SCC transfers nearly AZN 2B to state budget this year
- 20.10.2017Base oil price in state budget makes up $45
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan offers Arab countries to create joint investment funds
- 20.10.2017SOFAZ assets exceed $36B
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan increases upper limit of SOFAZ transfers to state budget
- 20.10.2017Parameters of 2018 state budget announced
- 19.10.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 19.10.2017Bank Silk Way concludes three quarters with profit
- 19.10.2017WB forecasts economic growth in Azerbaijan for next two years
- 19.10.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $500M
- 19.10.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to parliament
- 19.10.2017Central Bank transfers AZN 250M to state budget
- 19.10.2017AZN 784M budget deficit emerged in nine months
- 18.10.2017AMF issues AZN 25M bond
- 18.10.2017Extra-budgetary fund of tax authorities receive AZN 62M this year
- 18.10.2017AFB Bank’s special reserves make up AZN 25M
- 18.10.2017FIMSA comments on consolidation of Rabitabank and Bank Respublika
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan – third biggest investor of Turkey
- 17.10.2017Over AZN 6 billion liquid funds emerged in banking sector - ABA
- 17.10.2017Association: We think all banks should keep operating
- 17.10.2017AZN 41,250 paid in compensation to those suffered by accident resulted in killing of six students
- 17.10.2017Xalg Bank sees 14% decline in personal savings
- 16.10.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia this year make up AZN 11.3M
- 16.10.2017Gunay Bank’s debt to Central Bank declines
- 16.10.2017Caspian European Club to hold business forum with head of SCC
- 11.07.2017Troubled loan makes up 9.4% of NBC Bank’s loan portfolio
- 11.07.2017Fed's Williams still sees rate hike
- 11.07.2017Kapital Bank’s profit makes up AZN 41M
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover nears $2B
- 10.07.2017Qatar has $340 billion in reserves – central bank
- 10.07.2017State Customs Committee increases budget transfer 15%