Wall Street starts week upbeat, boosted by tech shares
U.S. stocks edged higher on Monday, led by gains in technology stocks as investors were optimistic ahead of earnings, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The S&P 500 technology index .SPLRCT was up 0.8 percent, followed by a 0.6 percent gain in the materials index .SPLRCM.
Technology is expected to have had among the strongest earnings growth for the second quarter, according to Thomson Reuters data.
"You had a little bit of a sell-off in the tech sector over the last couple of weeks," said Jeff Carbone, managing partner at Cornerstone Financial Partners. "This shows that investors may be seeing opportunities to get in ... as we head into earnings season."
U.S. companies have begun to release second-quarter earnings, with reports due this week from big U.S. banks including JPMorgan Chase (JPM.N), Wells Fargo (WFC.N) and Citigroup (C.N). S&P 500 earnings are forecast up 7.9 percent in the second quarter compared with a year ago.
In a significant victory for the banking industry, the Federal Reserve late last month approved plans from the 34 largest U.S. banks to use extra capital for stock buybacks, dividends and other purposes.
The healthcare sector .SPXHC was down 0.3 percent as investors waited for clarity on the healthcare legislation overhaul proposed in Washington.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI fell 5.82 points, or 0.03 percent, to end at 21,408.52, the S&P 500 .SPX gained 2.25 points, or 0.09 percent, to 2,427.43 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC added 23.31 points, or 0.38 percent, to 6,176.39.
Snap (SNAP.N) shares fell below their IPO price of $17 for the first time, to hit a low of $16.95. The stock closed at $16.99, down 1.1 percent. Snap was the hottest U.S. technology listing in years when it went public in March.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen's semi-annual testimony may be the highlight this week for investors looking for cues on further interest rate hikes. She will testify on Wednesday and Thursday.
Related news releases
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for ratio of payments to premiums
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 19.03.2018Azer Turk Bank to operate on holidays
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijani customs officers prevent smuggling of 52 kg heroin
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s currency reserves amount to $44B
- 19.03.2018PASHA Life announces of financial performances for 2017
- 19.03.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 19.03.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $182M this year
- 19.03.2018PASHA Bank’s Turkey-based subsidiary increases authorized capital
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan increases car import from Georgia by seven fold
- 19.03.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 16.03.2018Debts from state compulsory state social insurance written off in Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2018Pasha Capital heads brokers ranking for February
- 16.03.2018BSE turnover increases
- 16.03.2018IBA-Georgia appeals to Georgian Central Bank on closure
- 16.03.2018Azer Turk Bank starts “Baharı faizsiz keçir” campaign
- 16.03.2018New table of salaries of several budget-financed organizations’ employees approved
- 16.03.2018MP: Banking system can’t be normalized without solving troubled loans
- 16.03.2018Average exchange rate of manat for February announced
- 16.03.2018Personal incomes rise by 10% in Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2018State budget executed with surplus of AZN 140M in January-February
- 16.03.2018International experts hold seminar on measures to fight against financial crimes in Baku
- 16.03.2018AZN 1.8B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital in two months of this year
- 16.03.2018Xalg Insurance gets 2.3% decline in assets
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.3% growth in economy
- 15.03.2018IBA quits Russian and Georgian markets
- 15.03.2018PASHA Bank Georgia becomes sponsor of Caspian Energy Forum Tbilisi - 2018
- 15.03.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 250M
- 15.03.2018Fitch affirms Azerbaijan's Southern Gas Corridor CJSC's notes at 'BB+'
- 15.03.2018CBA postpones its plan to make investment in China’s financial market
- 15.03.2018No appeal received by Central Bank to ensure liquidity this year
- 15.03.2018UK to further expand cooperation with Azerbaijan, says PM May
- 15.03.2018AtaSigorta sees 8% decline in assets
- 15.03.2018A-Group Insurance gets decline in assets
- 15.03.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 14.03.2018One more public legal entity created in Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2018IBA Supervisory Board reorganized
- 11.07.2017Troubled loan makes up 9.4% of NBC Bank’s loan portfolio
- 11.07.2017Fed's Williams still sees rate hike
- 11.07.2017Kapital Bank’s profit makes up AZN 41M
- 10.07.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover nears $2B
- 10.07.2017Qatar has $340 billion in reserves – central bank
- 10.07.2017State Customs Committee increases budget transfer 15%