Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
Visa Inc, the world's largest payments network operator, reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and said it expects full-year profit at the high-end of its forecast, as it reaps the benefits of its purchase of Visa Europe, Business Insider reported.
Visa's shares were up 2.8 percent at $93.70 in trading after the bell on Thursday, after the company also announced a $5 billion share buyback program.
The company said total payments volume rose 37.2 percent to $1.73 trillion in the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, on a constant dollar basis.
San Francisco-based Visa generates revenue by facilitating credit- and debit-card transactions.
The growth in payments was helped by the addition of Visa Europe, a former subsidiary Visabought in June in a deal worth as much as $23 billion. Visa Europe accounted for 19.4 percent of total payments volume.
Payment volumes in the United States, Visa's largest market, increased 11.7 percent to $775 billion on a constant dollar basis.
The U.S. economy has seen strong jobs growth and rising incomes in the first three months of 2017, which bodes well for consumer spending — a key economic indicator for payments processors like Visa.
Visa updated its full-year forecast, saying it now expects adjusted profit at the high-end of its forecast for a mid-teens percentage point increase.
Net income fell to $430 million or 18 cents per Class A share in the second quarter, from $1.71 billion or 71 cents per Class A share, a year earlier, reflecting a one-time charge related to the purchase of Visa Europe.
Excluding one-time items, Visa earned 86 cents per Class A share, beating analysts' average estimate of 79 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net operating revenue rose 23.5 percent to $4.48 billion.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Date of next meeting of Azerbaijan-Lithuania intergovernmental commission announced
- 25.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 25.04.2017AtaBank gets 38% decline in deposit portfolio
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan to reopen currency exchange offices
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijan Industry Bank sees 12% rise in troubled loans
- 25.04.2017USD rate at today's auction announced
- 25.04.2017Xalg Bank ends Q1 on profit
- 24.04.2017Bank Respublika ends Q1 on loss
- 24.04.2017Central Bank attracts AZN 365M
- 24.04.2017AccessBank gets 6% rise in deposit portfolio
- 24.04.2017ADB allocates over $1.3B loan to Azerbaijan in 2016
- 24.04.2017ADIF pays over AZN 728M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 24.04.2017Anglo Asian Mining earns over $10M from gold sale
- 24.04.2017Anglo Asian Mining’s debt exceeds $33M
- 21.04.2017PM Artur Rasi-zadeh re-elected as SOFAZ Supervisory Board's Chair
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijani protests against Kosovo’s membership to WCO
- 21.04.2017USD rate for April 24 announced
- 19.04.2017Consolidation of banks to continue – Azerbaijan Banks Association
- 19.04.2017AZN 500 to be paid for attestation of bank administrator in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2017Sports betting operators to pay AZN 475,000 to FIMSA per year
- 19.04.2017Georgia increases trade turnover with Azerbaijan by 44%
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan imports 231 automobiles from Georgia in first quarter
- 19.04.2017Azer Turk Bank completes Q1 with profit
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan not to apply privileges for some entrepreneurs
- 18.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 18.04.2017Expressbank gets decline in assets
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ Executive Director: Planned transfer to Central Bank won’t be carried out completely
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ assets exceed $33.2B
- 18.04.2017Financial Monitoring Service removes one person from blacklist
- 18.04.2017Malena Mard: Preparation works underway for EU-Azerbaijan business forum
- 18.04.2017CDB Bank merged with AtaBank
- 18.04.2017Closed ten banks’ loan portfolio makes up AZN 2.5B - ADIF
- 18.04.2017ADIF negotiating with two auction centres on sale of properties of shut down banks
- 18.04.2017Individuals’ deposits make up over AZN 3.6 million in United Credit Bank
- 17.04.2017State budget executed with AZN 179M surplus in January-February
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan to allocate loans for fields with low production
- 17.04.2017No political obstacle for entrepreneurs to get access to any market – president
- 17.04.2017Central Bank attracts AZN 298M
- 17.04.2017Date of EU-Azerbaijan business forum announced
- 14.04.2017Baku branch of National Bank of Pakistan ends Q1 on loss
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio