Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
Visa Inc, the world's largest payments network operator, reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and said it expects full-year profit at the high-end of its forecast, as it reaps the benefits of its purchase of Visa Europe, Business Insider reported.
Visa's shares were up 2.8 percent at $93.70 in trading after the bell on Thursday, after the company also announced a $5 billion share buyback program.
The company said total payments volume rose 37.2 percent to $1.73 trillion in the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, on a constant dollar basis.
San Francisco-based Visa generates revenue by facilitating credit- and debit-card transactions.
The growth in payments was helped by the addition of Visa Europe, a former subsidiary Visabought in June in a deal worth as much as $23 billion. Visa Europe accounted for 19.4 percent of total payments volume.
Payment volumes in the United States, Visa's largest market, increased 11.7 percent to $775 billion on a constant dollar basis.
The U.S. economy has seen strong jobs growth and rising incomes in the first three months of 2017, which bodes well for consumer spending — a key economic indicator for payments processors like Visa.
Visa updated its full-year forecast, saying it now expects adjusted profit at the high-end of its forecast for a mid-teens percentage point increase.
Net income fell to $430 million or 18 cents per Class A share in the second quarter, from $1.71 billion or 71 cents per Class A share, a year earlier, reflecting a one-time charge related to the purchase of Visa Europe.
Excluding one-time items, Visa earned 86 cents per Class A share, beating analysts' average estimate of 79 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net operating revenue rose 23.5 percent to $4.48 billion.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Main directions of 2017 state budget revenues announced
- 22.06.2017Reasons for revising 2017 state budget announced
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan increases revenues and expenditures of 2017 state budget
- 22.06.2017Chamber of Accounts gives opinion on draft law on amendments to state budget
- 22.06.2017IBA transfers $50M to Kazakh Pension Fund
- 22.06.2017Central bank may reduce discount rate at next meeting
- 22.06.2017Central bank: Macroeconomic policy stabilizing manat won’t change by year-end
- 22.06.2017Central bank reduces discount rate to 10%
- 21.06.2017Muganbank’s ratings may become worse
- 21.06.2017S&P: Muganbank will end 2017 on loss
- 21.06.2017S&P: Troubled loans in Muganbank to rise to 20%
- 21.06.2017S&P downgrades Muganbank’s rating to CCC+/C
- 21.06.2017ABA: Ten banks faced capital deficiency
- 21.06.2017ABA: Seasonal factors have no systematic impact on manat
- 21.06.2017Discount rate may be reduced down to 12% is real - ABA
- 21.06.2017ABA: Consolidation in banking sector is inevitable
- 21.06.2017IBA head announces expectations on restructuring plan
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan establishes State Advertisement Agency
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijan’s 2017 budget to be revised
- 20.06.2017June’s pensions to be paid by Eid Al-Fitr - minister
- 20.06.2017Fed's Evans says worth waiting until year-end to assess next rate hike
- 20.06.2017International Bank of Azerbaijan changes plan on restructuring of obligations
- 19.06.2017Financial Markets Supervisory Authority blacklists one person
- 19.06.2017Catering turnover rises 2% in Azerbaijan in 2015
- 19.06.2017ADIF pays over AZN 734M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan sees 1.5% rise in consumption market
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijani customs prevents 7kg of gold bullions smuggling
- 19.06.2017Central Bank announces results of today’s auction
- 16.06.2017Investments in fixed capital from foreign companies make up AZN 3.5B
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan sees 0.9% decline in economy
- 16.06.2017Average exchange rate of manat for May announced
- 16.06.2017Personal incomes rise 7% in Azerbaijan
- 16.06.2017State budget executed with deficit in five months
- 16.06.2017USD rate for June 19 announced
- 16.06.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 200M
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan Railways CJSC seeks financial advisor to explore possible refinancing of certain existing liabilities
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives CEO of American company John Deere - UPDATED
- 15.06.2017Moody’s: Authorized capital of Azerbaijan’s Bank Respublika to be increased
- 14.06.2017Fed raises interest rates
- 14.06.2017Moody’s downgrades deposit ratings of four Azerbaijani banks
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio