Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
Visa Inc, the world's largest payments network operator, reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and said it expects full-year profit at the high-end of its forecast, as it reaps the benefits of its purchase of Visa Europe, Business Insider reported.
Visa's shares were up 2.8 percent at $93.70 in trading after the bell on Thursday, after the company also announced a $5 billion share buyback program.
The company said total payments volume rose 37.2 percent to $1.73 trillion in the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, on a constant dollar basis.
San Francisco-based Visa generates revenue by facilitating credit- and debit-card transactions.
The growth in payments was helped by the addition of Visa Europe, a former subsidiary Visabought in June in a deal worth as much as $23 billion. Visa Europe accounted for 19.4 percent of total payments volume.
Payment volumes in the United States, Visa's largest market, increased 11.7 percent to $775 billion on a constant dollar basis.
The U.S. economy has seen strong jobs growth and rising incomes in the first three months of 2017, which bodes well for consumer spending — a key economic indicator for payments processors like Visa.
Visa updated its full-year forecast, saying it now expects adjusted profit at the high-end of its forecast for a mid-teens percentage point increase.
Net income fell to $430 million or 18 cents per Class A share in the second quarter, from $1.71 billion or 71 cents per Class A share, a year earlier, reflecting a one-time charge related to the purchase of Visa Europe.
Excluding one-time items, Visa earned 86 cents per Class A share, beating analysts' average estimate of 79 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net operating revenue rose 23.5 percent to $4.48 billion.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Unibank ends 2017 on profit
- 19.01.2018Aydin Aliyev comments on reports regarding merger of SCC with other state bodies
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan sees 24% rise in compulsory insurance of automobiles
- 19.01.2018Premiums on real estate compulsory insurance increase
- 19.01.2018Ziraat Bank Azerbaijan’s liabilities increase by 69%
- 18.01.2018New department created in Ministry of Taxes
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan to develop draft law on Investment activity
- 18.01.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 250M
- 18.01.2018Azer-Turk Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.01.2018Personal incomes rise more than 8% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Average exchange rate of manat for December announced
- 17.01.2018Average monthly salary increases 6.2% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Central Bank comments on refusal of floating exchange rate regime
- 17.01.2018Turanbank ends 2017 on loss
- 17.01.2018Demirbank’s foreign stakeholder comments on its closure
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Industry Corporation established
- 16.01.2018Anglo-Asian Mining owes $9M to Azerbaijani banks
- 16.01.2018Moody’s prepares capital scenario analysis for rated banks in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 16.01.2018"Moody's": Weak players of Azerbaijan’s banking sector will exit - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 16.01.2018Moody’s: Further possible tightening of regulation could require additional recapitalization by banks in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Moody’s: IBA restored capital position - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/premium ratio
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 16.01.2018Insurance premiums amount to AZN 557M last year
- 16.01.2018Anglo Asian Mining’s shares double
- 15.01.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan Industry Bank increases liabilities
- 15.01.2018Gala Life insurance company reveals 2017 financial performances
- 15.01.2018USD operations decline 1.8-fold in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees decline in number of ATMs
- 15.01.2018Deposits in foreign currency decline in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in money supply in eleven months of 2017
- 15.01.2018Troubled loans make up 15.5% of provision of crediting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-based banks see decline in total foreign assets
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in provision of crediting in 2017
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio