Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
Visa Inc, the world's largest payments network operator, reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and said it expects full-year profit at the high-end of its forecast, as it reaps the benefits of its purchase of Visa Europe, Business Insider reported.
Visa's shares were up 2.8 percent at $93.70 in trading after the bell on Thursday, after the company also announced a $5 billion share buyback program.
The company said total payments volume rose 37.2 percent to $1.73 trillion in the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, on a constant dollar basis.
San Francisco-based Visa generates revenue by facilitating credit- and debit-card transactions.
The growth in payments was helped by the addition of Visa Europe, a former subsidiary Visabought in June in a deal worth as much as $23 billion. Visa Europe accounted for 19.4 percent of total payments volume.
Payment volumes in the United States, Visa's largest market, increased 11.7 percent to $775 billion on a constant dollar basis.
The U.S. economy has seen strong jobs growth and rising incomes in the first three months of 2017, which bodes well for consumer spending — a key economic indicator for payments processors like Visa.
Visa updated its full-year forecast, saying it now expects adjusted profit at the high-end of its forecast for a mid-teens percentage point increase.
Net income fell to $430 million or 18 cents per Class A share in the second quarter, from $1.71 billion or 71 cents per Class A share, a year earlier, reflecting a one-time charge related to the purchase of Visa Europe.
Excluding one-time items, Visa earned 86 cents per Class A share, beating analysts' average estimate of 79 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net operating revenue rose 23.5 percent to $4.48 billion.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Subsistence minimum to be increased by 11%
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan announces new customs duties for import of wheat, rice and corn
- 23.11.2017Istanbul hosts World Halal Summit
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament gives time to government to consider budget proposals
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani parliament discussing 2018 budget package
- 23.11.2017IBA to be put up for privatization in 2018
- 23.11.2017Central Bank: Stability of exchange rate to be kept under control in 2018
- 23.11.2017Alim Guliyev: Number of banks participating in deposit auctions quintupled
- 22.11.2017Elman Rustamov: Inflation is our key problem
- 22.11.2017CBA chairman: Money supply to increase by year-end
- 22.11.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 22.11.2017EBRD: Tight monetary policy should continue in Azerbaijan
- 22.11.2017New customs duties to be applied in Azerbaijan next year
- 21.11.2017Fitch upgrades the ratings of the International Bank of Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017UK trade mission to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017Elman Rustamov: Conformation of economy with current oil price completed
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan’s strategic currency reserves exceed $42B
- 21.11.2017CBA Chairman: exchange rate of manat stabilized
- 21.11.2017Janet Yellen submits resignation from Fed
- 20.11.2017IBA-Moscow – one of 10 most profitable banks in Russia
- 20.11.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $600M
- 20.11.2017AGBank’s mortgage portfolio exceeds AZN 56M
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments/premiums ratio
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums near AZN 463
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 723 million to payment of loan interests
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 14.2B on food this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia get 6.5% rise in trade turnover
- 16.11.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 9.5%
- 16.11.2017SCC transfers AZN 2.3B to state budget this year
- 16.11.2017AZN12.5B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 708M this year
- 16.11.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 593M
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 0.7% decline in economy
- 15.11.2017CBA: Global rise of some food products prevent reduction in inflation rate
- 15.11.2017New CEO of Caspian European Club announced
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio