Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
Visa Inc, the world's largest payments network operator, reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and said it expects full-year profit at the high-end of its forecast, as it reaps the benefits of its purchase of Visa Europe, Business Insider reported.
Visa's shares were up 2.8 percent at $93.70 in trading after the bell on Thursday, after the company also announced a $5 billion share buyback program.
The company said total payments volume rose 37.2 percent to $1.73 trillion in the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, on a constant dollar basis.
San Francisco-based Visa generates revenue by facilitating credit- and debit-card transactions.
The growth in payments was helped by the addition of Visa Europe, a former subsidiary Visabought in June in a deal worth as much as $23 billion. Visa Europe accounted for 19.4 percent of total payments volume.
Payment volumes in the United States, Visa's largest market, increased 11.7 percent to $775 billion on a constant dollar basis.
The U.S. economy has seen strong jobs growth and rising incomes in the first three months of 2017, which bodes well for consumer spending — a key economic indicator for payments processors like Visa.
Visa updated its full-year forecast, saying it now expects adjusted profit at the high-end of its forecast for a mid-teens percentage point increase.
Net income fell to $430 million or 18 cents per Class A share in the second quarter, from $1.71 billion or 71 cents per Class A share, a year earlier, reflecting a one-time charge related to the purchase of Visa Europe.
Excluding one-time items, Visa earned 86 cents per Class A share, beating analysts' average estimate of 79 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net operating revenue rose 23.5 percent to $4.48 billion.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017Bank VTB Azerbaijan ends H1 on profit
- 21.07.2017Gala Life Insurance gets 11.5% decline in assets
- 21.07.2017Official Exchange Rates
- 20.07.2017Holcim (Azerbaijan) ends 2016 on loss
- 20.07.2017BSE ends 2016 on loss
- 20.07.2017PASHA Bank’s profit exceeds AZN 24M
- 20.07.2017Yapi Kredi Bank Azerbaijan ends Q2 on profit
- 20.07.2017Unibank ends H1 on profit
- 20.07.2017Dollar edges off lows against euro, central banks eyed
- 19.07.2017Finance Ministry announces revenues and expenditures of state budget
- 19.07.2017AMF issues AZN 25M-bond
- 19.07.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $356M
- 19.07.2017NBC Bank loses hope for repayment of most of troubled loans
- 18.07.2017IBA’s restructuring plan adopted
- 18.07.2017ExpressBank gets 17% decline in loan portfolio
- 18.07.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 38%
- 18.07.2017AtaBank’s profit nears AZN 1.7M
- 18.07.2017Muganbank ends H1 on loss
- 18.07.2017Ziraat Bank Azerbaijan ends H1 on profit
- 17.07.2017Number of officially unemployed population announced
- 17.07.2017Personal incomes rise 7% in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Average monthly salary increases 6% in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017GDP makes up AZN 31.3B in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017TuranBank ends H1 on loss
- 17.07.2017Nikoil Bank ends H1 on profit
- 17.07.2017AFB Bank gets 60% growth in deposit portfolio
- 17.07.2017AZN 7B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 17.07.2017SOFAZ’s assets nears $35B
- 15.07.2017New prices for 10,385 medicines approved in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 471M in first half of 2017
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves revised state budget
- 14.07.2017Troubled loans make up 50% of AGBank’s loan portfolio
- 14.07.2017Bank Eurasia ends H1 on profit
- 14.07.2017AGBank’s undistributed profit exceeds AZN 62M
- 13.07.2017Fitch assigns Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank 'AAA'
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijan makes 7% of total investments in Turkey
- 13.07.2017Retail trade turnover increases in Azerbaijan in H1
- 13.07.2017EU remains as main foreign trade partner of Azerbaijan
- 13.07.2017Annual inflation reaches 14%
- 13.07.2017IBA has enough support from creditors to implement restructuring plan
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio