Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
Visa Inc, the world's largest payments network operator, reported better-than-expected quarterly earnings and said it expects full-year profit at the high-end of its forecast, as it reaps the benefits of its purchase of Visa Europe, Business Insider reported.
Visa's shares were up 2.8 percent at $93.70 in trading after the bell on Thursday, after the company also announced a $5 billion share buyback program.
The company said total payments volume rose 37.2 percent to $1.73 trillion in the second fiscal quarter ended March 31, on a constant dollar basis.
San Francisco-based Visa generates revenue by facilitating credit- and debit-card transactions.
The growth in payments was helped by the addition of Visa Europe, a former subsidiary Visabought in June in a deal worth as much as $23 billion. Visa Europe accounted for 19.4 percent of total payments volume.
Payment volumes in the United States, Visa's largest market, increased 11.7 percent to $775 billion on a constant dollar basis.
The U.S. economy has seen strong jobs growth and rising incomes in the first three months of 2017, which bodes well for consumer spending — a key economic indicator for payments processors like Visa.
Visa updated its full-year forecast, saying it now expects adjusted profit at the high-end of its forecast for a mid-teens percentage point increase.
Net income fell to $430 million or 18 cents per Class A share in the second quarter, from $1.71 billion or 71 cents per Class A share, a year earlier, reflecting a one-time charge related to the purchase of Visa Europe.
Excluding one-time items, Visa earned 86 cents per Class A share, beating analysts' average estimate of 79 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net operating revenue rose 23.5 percent to $4.48 billion.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s economy to grow 3% next year
- 24.05.2018Moody’s: Capital adequacy in banking sector improved following measures for IBA normalization
- 24.05.2018Moody’s Investors Service holding annual summit on Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan issues 200 AZN banknotes
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan exports 591 mcm of gas to Turkey in March
- 23.05.2018Premiums on credit insurance quintuple
- 23.05.2018Premiums on real estate compulsory insurance increase
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in compulsory insurance of automobiles
- 22.05.2018Deputy Minister: Economic reforms ensured macroeconomic stability in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani parliament to revise 2018 state budget
- 21.05.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $360M this year
- 21.05.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments market share
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan-based 21 insurers’ premiums exceed AZN 301M
- 18.05.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 18.05.2018Most popular Bakcell tariff “Ela” becomes unlimited
- 18.05.2018Report of Chamber of Accounts on 2017 submitted to parliament
- 17.05.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 17.05.2018Ministry of Taxes combating organized criminal group, not just sellers violating law - INTERVIEW
- 17.05.2018BP announces volume of oil and gas transported via Sangachal terminal
- 17.05.2018Alim Guliyev: Central Bank is comprehensively researching risks on cryptocurrencies
- 16.05.2018AZN 10M allocated for acceleration of socio-economic development of Nakhchivan AR
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.2% growth in economy
- 16.05.2018Personal incomes rise by 9.2% in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan-based financial organizations’ loan portfolio in national currency exceeds AZN 11.6B
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 281M in two months
- 16.05.2018Average exchange rate of manat for April announced
- 16.05.2018State budget executed with deficit of AZN 654M
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan sees growth in revenues from crude oil export
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan increases car import by 2.7-fold
- 16.05.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 36%
- 15.05.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 15.05.2018Mortgage and Credit Guarantee Fund issues AZN 20M bond
- 15.05.2018Georgia’s debt to Azerbaijan announced
- 15.05.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in Q1 makes up $2.5B
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio