Trump: Dollar getting too strong, Federal Reserve should keep interest rates low
"I think our dollar is getting too strong, and partially that's my fault because people have confidence in me," Trump said. "But that's hurting -- that will hurt ultimately."
"It's very, very hard to compete when you have a strong dollar and other countries are devaluing their currency," Trump said.
On the campaign trail, Trump frequently slammed China for purposefully weakening its currency, the yuan, to make its goods cheaper on the world market.
He vowed to label China a "currency manipulator" on Day One of his presidency, the equivalent of saying that China cheats. That didn't happen, but the president continued to talk tough on China. In early April, he called China the "world champions" of currency devaluation.
But now, Trump is saying something very different.
"They're not currency manipulators," he said Wednesday.
Trump also acknowledged that China is no longer manipulating its currency, at least not in a harmful way to the US. China has actually been attempting to prop up the yuan lately so wealthy Chinese investors keep their money at home instead of investing overseas.
In addition to softening his tone on the dollar, Trump also sounded a lot more upbeat about Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen.
"I like her, I respect her," Trump told the Wall Street Journal.
Only a few months ago, Trump said Yellen should "be ashamed of herself" for keeping interest rates low. He said she was just doing that to help President Obama.
Now the president said he "likes" low interest rates and that he might even ask Yellen to stay on when her term expires in early 2018.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Xalg Bank ends Q1 on profit
- 24.04.2017Bank Respublika ends Q1 on loss
- 24.04.2017Central Bank attracts AZN 365M
- 24.04.2017AccessBank gets 6% rise in deposit portfolio
- 24.04.2017ADB allocates over $1.3B loan to Azerbaijan in 2016
- 24.04.2017ADIF pays over AZN 728M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 24.04.2017Anglo Asian Mining earns over $10M from gold sale
- 24.04.2017Anglo Asian Mining’s debt exceeds $33M
- 21.04.2017PM Artur Rasi-zadeh re-elected as SOFAZ Supervisory Board's Chair
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijani protests against Kosovo’s membership to WCO
- 21.04.2017USD rate for April 24 announced
- 21.04.2017Synergy Group becomes AtaBank’s shareholder
- 21.04.2017AtaBank’s authorized capital reached AZN 70M
- 21.04.2017WB says average annual inflation will decline to 5% in Azerbaijan
- 21.04.2017Visa's adjusted profit soars 27%
- 21.04.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2017ADIF pays AZN 727.5M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 20.04.2017Troubled loans make up 48% of AGBank’s loan portfolio
- 19.04.2017Consolidation of banks to continue – Azerbaijan Banks Association
- 19.04.2017AZN 500 to be paid for attestation of bank administrator in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2017Sports betting operators to pay AZN 475,000 to FIMSA per year
- 19.04.2017Georgia increases trade turnover with Azerbaijan by 44%
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan imports 231 automobiles from Georgia in first quarter
- 19.04.2017Azer Turk Bank completes Q1 with profit
- 18.04.2017Azerbaijan not to apply privileges for some entrepreneurs
- 18.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 18.04.2017Expressbank gets decline in assets
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ Executive Director: Planned transfer to Central Bank won’t be carried out completely
- 18.04.2017SOFAZ assets exceed $33.2B
- 18.04.2017Financial Monitoring Service removes one person from blacklist
- 18.04.2017Malena Mard: Preparation works underway for EU-Azerbaijan business forum
- 18.04.2017CDB Bank merged with AtaBank
- 18.04.2017Closed ten banks’ loan portfolio makes up AZN 2.5B - ADIF
- 18.04.2017ADIF negotiating with two auction centres on sale of properties of shut down banks
- 18.04.2017Individuals’ deposits make up over AZN 3.6 million in United Credit Bank
- 17.04.2017State budget executed with AZN 179M surplus in January-February
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan to allocate loans for fields with low production
- 17.04.2017No political obstacle for entrepreneurs to get access to any market – president
- 17.04.2017Central Bank attracts AZN 298M
- 17.04.2017Date of EU-Azerbaijan business forum announced
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 6%
- 13.04.2017SCC increases budget transfers 37%
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover exceeds $1B
- 13.04.2017Large US firms stashed US$1.6t in tax havens: Oxfam
- 13.04.2017Gala Life Insurance ends 2016 on profit
- 12.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced