Trump: Dollar getting too strong, Federal Reserve should keep interest rates low
"I think our dollar is getting too strong, and partially that's my fault because people have confidence in me," Trump said. "But that's hurting -- that will hurt ultimately."
"It's very, very hard to compete when you have a strong dollar and other countries are devaluing their currency," Trump said.
On the campaign trail, Trump frequently slammed China for purposefully weakening its currency, the yuan, to make its goods cheaper on the world market.
He vowed to label China a "currency manipulator" on Day One of his presidency, the equivalent of saying that China cheats. That didn't happen, but the president continued to talk tough on China. In early April, he called China the "world champions" of currency devaluation.
But now, Trump is saying something very different.
"They're not currency manipulators," he said Wednesday.
Trump also acknowledged that China is no longer manipulating its currency, at least not in a harmful way to the US. China has actually been attempting to prop up the yuan lately so wealthy Chinese investors keep their money at home instead of investing overseas.
In addition to softening his tone on the dollar, Trump also sounded a lot more upbeat about Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen.
"I like her, I respect her," Trump told the Wall Street Journal.
Only a few months ago, Trump said Yellen should "be ashamed of herself" for keeping interest rates low. He said she was just doing that to help President Obama.
Now the president said he "likes" low interest rates and that he might even ask Yellen to stay on when her term expires in early 2018.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Samir Sharifov: "Azerbaijan's IBA will be privatised but not before 2018"
- 23.05.2017SCC chairman: Israeli citizen confesses to hiding large amount of currency from control - UPDATED
- 23.05.2017IBA starts talks with foreign creditors in London
- 23.05.2017USD rate at today's auction declines
- 23.05.2017Part of AZN 10B-bonds issued for IBA’s financial health unregistered
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for personal savings growth rate
- 23.05.2017Bitcoin value reaches record level
- 22.05.2017Azer-Turk Bank’s AZN 100M-loan transferred to Agrarcredit
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijan’s per head external debt exceeds $700
- 22.05.2017Cabinet of Ministers spends 68% of Reserve Fund to increase of IBA authorized capital
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for total capital growth rate
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for authorized capital growth rate
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for loan portfolio growth rate
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for assets growth rate
- 22.05.2017Finance Ministry pays AZN 18.2 to IBA
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for profit
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for non-interest expenditures
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for non-interest incomes
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for demand deposits
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for term deposits
- 19.05.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia increases 49%
- 18.05.2017Central Bank attracts AZN 638M in deposit auctions in Q1
- 18.05.2017Dollarization level of individuals’ deposits declined- central bank
- 18.05.2017Average daily exchange rate of USD against AZN in Q1 announced
- 18.05.2017SOFAZ sells $793M at currency auctions in Q1
- 18.05.2017USD transactions decline 33.5% - Central Bank
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan’s currency reserves exceed international norms – central bank
- 18.05.2017AZN 664M transferred through Azer Turk Bank this year
- 17.05.2017IBA-Georgia ends Q1 on profit
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for incomes
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for interest expenditures
- 17.05.2017Average exchange rate of manat for April announced
- 17.05.2017Annual inflation exceeds 13%
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s budget deficit nears AZN 370M
- 17.05.2017ADIF pays over AZN 733M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 17.05.2017ADIF Executive Director: Bank Melli Iran Baku branch to get back its deposits in closed three banks - EXCLUSIVE
- 17.05.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku announces amount of deposits in closed banks
- 17.05.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku branch’s total capital reaches AZN 61M
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for interest incomes
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan sees 1.2% decline in economy
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 6%
- 13.04.2017SCC increases budget transfers 37%
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover exceeds $1B
- 13.04.2017Large US firms stashed US$1.6t in tax havens: Oxfam
- 13.04.2017Gala Life Insurance ends 2016 on profit
- 12.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced