Trump: Dollar getting too strong, Federal Reserve should keep interest rates low
"I think our dollar is getting too strong, and partially that's my fault because people have confidence in me," Trump said. "But that's hurting -- that will hurt ultimately."
"It's very, very hard to compete when you have a strong dollar and other countries are devaluing their currency," Trump said.
On the campaign trail, Trump frequently slammed China for purposefully weakening its currency, the yuan, to make its goods cheaper on the world market.
He vowed to label China a "currency manipulator" on Day One of his presidency, the equivalent of saying that China cheats. That didn't happen, but the president continued to talk tough on China. In early April, he called China the "world champions" of currency devaluation.
But now, Trump is saying something very different.
"They're not currency manipulators," he said Wednesday.
Trump also acknowledged that China is no longer manipulating its currency, at least not in a harmful way to the US. China has actually been attempting to prop up the yuan lately so wealthy Chinese investors keep their money at home instead of investing overseas.
In addition to softening his tone on the dollar, Trump also sounded a lot more upbeat about Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen.
"I like her, I respect her," Trump told the Wall Street Journal.
Only a few months ago, Trump said Yellen should "be ashamed of herself" for keeping interest rates low. He said she was just doing that to help President Obama.
Now the president said he "likes" low interest rates and that he might even ask Yellen to stay on when her term expires in early 2018.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Safar Mehdiyev appointed Chairman of State Customs Committee
- 23.04.2018Gilan Holding conducts assessment of HR employees
- 23.04.2018Bakcell fulfills dreams of young entrepreneurs
- 23.04.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijan’s new government expected to continue important reforms to ensure sustainable development – World Bank
- 23.04.2018World Bank upgrades its economic growth projections for Azerbaijan
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian minister of economic development
- 20.04.2018State Service for Antimonopoly Policy and Consumer Protection removed subordination of Azerbaijan’s Economy Ministry
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan’s State Committee on Standardization, Metrology and Patents liquidated
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for short-term liablities
- 20.04.2018Azer-Turk Bank ends Q1 on profit
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for long-term liabilities
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for short-term assets
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for long-term assets
- 20.04.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for expenditures
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for revenues
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for profit
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for authorized capital
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for total capital
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for liabilities
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for assets
- 20.04.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 19.04.2018Minister: Hosting Expo 2025 would cost 765mln euros
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan Industry Bank sees rise in total capital
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking ratio of payments to premiums
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan-based 21 insurers’ premiums exceed AZN 193M
- 19.04.2018Nakhchivan Bank increases liabilities
- 19.04.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $270M this year
- 18.04.2018Iran refuses USD in international settlements
- 18.04.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 18.04.201849% of SOFAZ investment portfolio is in USD
- 18.04.2018Gunay Bank increases assets by 53%
- 18.04.2018Bank of Baku gets decline in liabilities
- 18.04.2018SOFAZ earns AZN 4.4B in Q1
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 6%
- 13.04.2017SCC increases budget transfers 37%
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover exceeds $1B
- 13.04.2017Large US firms stashed US$1.6t in tax havens: Oxfam
- 13.04.2017Gala Life Insurance ends 2016 on profit
- 12.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced