Trump: Dollar getting too strong, Federal Reserve should keep interest rates low
"I think our dollar is getting too strong, and partially that's my fault because people have confidence in me," Trump said. "But that's hurting -- that will hurt ultimately."
"It's very, very hard to compete when you have a strong dollar and other countries are devaluing their currency," Trump said.
On the campaign trail, Trump frequently slammed China for purposefully weakening its currency, the yuan, to make its goods cheaper on the world market.
He vowed to label China a "currency manipulator" on Day One of his presidency, the equivalent of saying that China cheats. That didn't happen, but the president continued to talk tough on China. In early April, he called China the "world champions" of currency devaluation.
But now, Trump is saying something very different.
"They're not currency manipulators," he said Wednesday.
Trump also acknowledged that China is no longer manipulating its currency, at least not in a harmful way to the US. China has actually been attempting to prop up the yuan lately so wealthy Chinese investors keep their money at home instead of investing overseas.
In addition to softening his tone on the dollar, Trump also sounded a lot more upbeat about Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen.
"I like her, I respect her," Trump told the Wall Street Journal.
Only a few months ago, Trump said Yellen should "be ashamed of herself" for keeping interest rates low. He said she was just doing that to help President Obama.
Now the president said he "likes" low interest rates and that he might even ask Yellen to stay on when her term expires in early 2018.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 20.09.2017ADIF pays AZN 748M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 19.09.2017Minister: "IBA can be prepared for privatization"
- 19.09.2017Chamber of Accounts makes decision to send materials on University of Economy to General Prosecutor’s Office
- 19.09.2017Elman Rustamov: We see no risk for manat rate
- 19.09.2017WB: Azerbaijan is our loyal partner
- 19.09.2017CB chairman: Currency market balanced, manat stabilized
- 19.09.2017WB allocated $3.6B for more than 50 projects in Azerbaijan so far
- 19.09.2017Central Bank: Credit activity in Azerbaijan still remains unrecovered
- 19.09.2017Central Bank: Manat stability accompanied by decline in dollarization
- 18.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 18.09.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to government
- 15.09.2017Average monthly salary increases 7% in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 539M
- 15.09.2017Average exchange rate of manat for August announced
- 15.09.2017GDP amounts to AZN 43.7M in Azerbaijan this year
- 15.09.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 11%
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 11B to food this year
- 15.09.2017AZN 10B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 15.09.2017EBRD may become shareholder of IBA
- 14.09.2017EU remains as main foreign trade partner of Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017AmCham Azerbaijan welcomes initiative on monitoring of the Strategic Road Map
- 14.09.2017USD rate at today's auction announced
- 13.09.2017IMF: Dollarization will decline after restoration of confidence in manat
- 13.09.2017IMF: Azerbaijan’s economic situation recovers
- 13.09.2017IMF laudes reforms carried out in Azerbaijan - Department Director - UPDATED
- 13.09.2017Georgia’s debt to Azerbaijan declines
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani president approves rules on use of social insurance reserve and payment of additional funds to special accounts on insured persons
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan sees 10% rise in foreign trade operations
- 12.09.2017SCC increases budget transfers by 20%
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 64%
- 12.09.2017Deputy chairman of Central Bank resigns
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers collect AZN 323M this year
- 11.09.2017SCC increases budget transfers by 15%
- 11.09.2017PASHA Life’s premiums exceed AZN 100M
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani Central Bank attracts more than AZN 530M
- 08.09.2017Moody’s forecasts Azerbaijan’s budget to be executed wiht deficit during next two years
- 08.09.2017Moody's: Azerbaijan's credit profile reflects country's vulnerability to volatile oil prices
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 6%
- 13.04.2017SCC increases budget transfers 37%
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover exceeds $1B
- 13.04.2017Large US firms stashed US$1.6t in tax havens: Oxfam
- 13.04.2017Gala Life Insurance ends 2016 on profit
- 12.04.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced