SOFAZ Executive Director makes statement on suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI
During the meeting, participants discussed several issues and also made decision on the suspension of the status of four countries in EITI – Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Solomon islands and Azerbaijan. Chairman of the government Commission and Multi-stakeholder Group Shahmar Movsumov made statement on the suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI. The statement says:
“Azerbaijan was one of the countries that achieved a lot of “firsts” in EITI. It was the first country to join the EITI and support the international efforts for higher transparency in the extractive industries in 2003. It was the first country to publish the world’s first EITI Report in 2005 and the first Compliant EITI country in 2009.
From the very beginning the government of Azerbaijan was strongly committed to the EITI and its principles, and constantly took steps to underpin positive environment for the smooth implementation of the Initiative. Azerbaijan was able to make difference in each EITI report since then by putting multi-stakeholder efforts together to advance the process as much as possible. In total 20 EITI reports were reconciled and disclosed in Azerbaijan (2003-2015).
The State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan for the successful implementation of EITI became a winner of the 2007 United Nations Public Service Award in the category of "Improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the Public Service".
In order to give a strong backing to EITI process and rise it’s momentum at the international level the Government of Azerbaijan initiated and tabled United Nations General Assembly Resolution on EITI, which on 11 September, 2008 was adopted by consensus.
At its latest meeting in Astana the Board agreed that Azerbaijan had made meaningful progress in implementing the 2016 EITI Standard, and with considerable improvements across several individual requirements compared to the first Validation in 2015. According to the decision of the Board Azerbaijan maintained its “Candidate” status. The Board assigned a number of new corrective actions to be implemented till the next EITI Board meeting.
We strongly believe that as a result of significant changes made to the current regulations Azerbaijan was able to accomplish the implementation of all corrective actions. We consider Board’s decision on suspension of Azerbaijan as an unfair one. The mandate of the EITI has been significantly shifted far from transparency and accountability in extractive sectors. The irrelevant facts introduced by different advocacy groups on various occasions show that the Initiative failed to stick to its original mission and objectives.
In 2003 Azerbaijan has signed up to the principles of revenue transparency and revenue governance and remains strongly committed to those principles of good governance, transparency and accountability in extractive industries. Azerbaijan will continue to disclose all the information related to revenues received from extractive industries to the full extent. However, it is with a deep regret I have to officially announce that Azerbaijan is leaving EITI. I kindly ask the International Secretariat to remove Azerbaijan from the list of EITI implementing countries effective immediately. I wish you all success in your future endeavours”.
EITI is a special multilateral and voluntary initiative, supported by a coalition of companies, governments, investors and civil society organizations and global standard for improved transparency in the oil, gas and mining sector. Azerbaijan joined EITI in 2003. Azerbaijan was awarded the "2009 EITI Award" for its commitment to EITI principles and criteria and achievements in EITI Implementation.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018USD rate for February 26 announced
- 23.02.2018Rabitabank’s authorized capital reaches AZN 101.3M
- 23.02.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and India reaches 460M
- 22.02.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 200M
- 22.02.2018Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s economy to grow 2% in 2019
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/premium ratio
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 21.02.2018CBA attracts more than AZN 1B from deposit auction last year
- 21.02.2018CBA: SOFAZ sold $3.6B in currency auction last year
- 21.02.2018Stabilization of manat rate causes sharp decline in sale of currency
- 21.02.2018Money transfers to Azerbaijan doubled last year
- 21.02.2018AZN 1.2B invested in banks’ equity capital in 2016-2017
- 20.02.2018More than 70% of all transactions at AccessBank go online - INTERVIEW
- 20.02.2018BSE turnover increases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases car import from Georgia by six fold
- 20.02.2018Deputy Minister: Debts on mandatory state social insurance as of January 1, 2018 exceed AZN 364M
- 20.02.2018Mandatory state social insurance amnesty expected in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 19.02.2018Gala Insurance increases premiums by 27%
- 19.02.2018Petkim doubles profit
- 19.02.2018PASHA Yatirim Bankasi issues TRY 32.5M bonds
- 19.02.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $91M in January
- 19.02.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 19.02.2018Yapi Kredi Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Customs Committee increases budget transfers
- 16.02.2018USD rate for Feb.19 announced
- 16.02.2018Credit institutions issues AZN 1.3B-shares last year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 715M to state budget this year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 77.6B to state budget during 15 years - ANALYSIS
- 16.02.2018Personal incomes rise by 12% in Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Average exchange rate of manat for January announced
- 15.02.2018Economic growth in Azerbaijan makes up 2% in January
- 15.02.2018State budget executed with surplus of AZN 977M in January
- 15.02.2018Baku hosts next meeting of Azerbaijan-Qatar intergovernmental commission
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia
- 15.02.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan – biggest foreign investor of Georgia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 11% rise in January’s troubled loans
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.4 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.03.2017AtaBank increases authorized capital
- 10.03.2017AtaSigorta ends 2016 on profit
- 09.03.2017SOCAR gets rise in SSPF and budget transfers