SOFAZ Executive Director makes statement on suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI
During the meeting, participants discussed several issues and also made decision on the suspension of the status of four countries in EITI – Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Solomon islands and Azerbaijan. Chairman of the government Commission and Multi-stakeholder Group Shahmar Movsumov made statement on the suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI. The statement says:
“Azerbaijan was one of the countries that achieved a lot of “firsts” in EITI. It was the first country to join the EITI and support the international efforts for higher transparency in the extractive industries in 2003. It was the first country to publish the world’s first EITI Report in 2005 and the first Compliant EITI country in 2009.
From the very beginning the government of Azerbaijan was strongly committed to the EITI and its principles, and constantly took steps to underpin positive environment for the smooth implementation of the Initiative. Azerbaijan was able to make difference in each EITI report since then by putting multi-stakeholder efforts together to advance the process as much as possible. In total 20 EITI reports were reconciled and disclosed in Azerbaijan (2003-2015).
The State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan for the successful implementation of EITI became a winner of the 2007 United Nations Public Service Award in the category of "Improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the Public Service".
In order to give a strong backing to EITI process and rise it’s momentum at the international level the Government of Azerbaijan initiated and tabled United Nations General Assembly Resolution on EITI, which on 11 September, 2008 was adopted by consensus.
At its latest meeting in Astana the Board agreed that Azerbaijan had made meaningful progress in implementing the 2016 EITI Standard, and with considerable improvements across several individual requirements compared to the first Validation in 2015. According to the decision of the Board Azerbaijan maintained its “Candidate” status. The Board assigned a number of new corrective actions to be implemented till the next EITI Board meeting.
We strongly believe that as a result of significant changes made to the current regulations Azerbaijan was able to accomplish the implementation of all corrective actions. We consider Board’s decision on suspension of Azerbaijan as an unfair one. The mandate of the EITI has been significantly shifted far from transparency and accountability in extractive sectors. The irrelevant facts introduced by different advocacy groups on various occasions show that the Initiative failed to stick to its original mission and objectives.
In 2003 Azerbaijan has signed up to the principles of revenue transparency and revenue governance and remains strongly committed to those principles of good governance, transparency and accountability in extractive industries. Azerbaijan will continue to disclose all the information related to revenues received from extractive industries to the full extent. However, it is with a deep regret I have to officially announce that Azerbaijan is leaving EITI. I kindly ask the International Secretariat to remove Azerbaijan from the list of EITI implementing countries effective immediately. I wish you all success in your future endeavours”.
EITI is a special multilateral and voluntary initiative, supported by a coalition of companies, governments, investors and civil society organizations and global standard for improved transparency in the oil, gas and mining sector. Azerbaijan joined EITI in 2003. Azerbaijan was awarded the "2009 EITI Award" for its commitment to EITI principles and criteria and achievements in EITI Implementation.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Finance Ministry places AZN 20M-bonds
- 25.07.2017IBA-Moscow gets 24.1% decline in deposit portfolio
- 25.07.2017IBA-Moscow gets 24% decline in assets
- 25.07.2017Anglo-Asian Mining owes $11M to Azerbaijani banks
- 25.07.2017Deutsche Bank weighs moving $350B from U.K. to Frankfurt
- 25.07.2017Dollar edges up from 13-month low, aided by solid U.S. data
- 24.07.2017Xalg Bank’s profit exceeds AZN 5M
- 24.07.2017Bank Melli Iran Baku’s undistributed loss reaches AZN 29M
- 24.07.2017Azer Turk Bank capital adequacy ratio exceeds 40%
- 24.07.2017Bank Respublika ends H1 on loss
- 21.07.2017Bank VTB Azerbaijan ends H1 on profit
- 21.07.2017Gala Life Insurance gets 11.5% decline in assets
- 21.07.2017Official Exchange Rates
- 20.07.2017Holcim (Azerbaijan) ends 2016 on loss
- 20.07.2017BSE ends 2016 on loss
- 20.07.2017PASHA Bank’s profit exceeds AZN 24M
- 20.07.2017Yapi Kredi Bank Azerbaijan ends Q2 on profit
- 20.07.2017Unibank ends H1 on profit
- 20.07.2017Dollar edges off lows against euro, central banks eyed
- 19.07.2017Finance Ministry announces revenues and expenditures of state budget
- 19.07.2017AMF issues AZN 25M-bond
- 19.07.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $356M
- 19.07.2017NBC Bank loses hope for repayment of most of troubled loans
- 18.07.2017IBA’s restructuring plan adopted
- 18.07.2017ExpressBank gets 17% decline in loan portfolio
- 18.07.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 38%
- 18.07.2017AtaBank’s profit nears AZN 1.7M
- 18.07.2017Muganbank ends H1 on loss
- 18.07.2017Ziraat Bank Azerbaijan ends H1 on profit
- 17.07.2017Number of officially unemployed population announced
- 17.07.2017Personal incomes rise 7% in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Average monthly salary increases 6% in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017GDP makes up AZN 31.3B in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017TuranBank ends H1 on loss
- 17.07.2017Nikoil Bank ends H1 on profit
- 17.07.2017AFB Bank gets 60% growth in deposit portfolio
- 17.07.2017AZN 7B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 17.07.2017SOFAZ’s assets nears $35B
- 15.07.2017New prices for 10,385 medicines approved in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 471M in first half of 2017
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan – biggest foreign investor of Georgia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 11% rise in January’s troubled loans
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.4 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.03.2017AtaBank increases authorized capital
- 10.03.2017AtaSigorta ends 2016 on profit
- 09.03.2017SOCAR gets rise in SSPF and budget transfers