SOFAZ Executive Director makes statement on suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI
During the meeting, participants discussed several issues and also made decision on the suspension of the status of four countries in EITI – Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Solomon islands and Azerbaijan. Chairman of the government Commission and Multi-stakeholder Group Shahmar Movsumov made statement on the suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI. The statement says:
“Azerbaijan was one of the countries that achieved a lot of “firsts” in EITI. It was the first country to join the EITI and support the international efforts for higher transparency in the extractive industries in 2003. It was the first country to publish the world’s first EITI Report in 2005 and the first Compliant EITI country in 2009.
From the very beginning the government of Azerbaijan was strongly committed to the EITI and its principles, and constantly took steps to underpin positive environment for the smooth implementation of the Initiative. Azerbaijan was able to make difference in each EITI report since then by putting multi-stakeholder efforts together to advance the process as much as possible. In total 20 EITI reports were reconciled and disclosed in Azerbaijan (2003-2015).
The State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan for the successful implementation of EITI became a winner of the 2007 United Nations Public Service Award in the category of "Improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the Public Service".
In order to give a strong backing to EITI process and rise it’s momentum at the international level the Government of Azerbaijan initiated and tabled United Nations General Assembly Resolution on EITI, which on 11 September, 2008 was adopted by consensus.
At its latest meeting in Astana the Board agreed that Azerbaijan had made meaningful progress in implementing the 2016 EITI Standard, and with considerable improvements across several individual requirements compared to the first Validation in 2015. According to the decision of the Board Azerbaijan maintained its “Candidate” status. The Board assigned a number of new corrective actions to be implemented till the next EITI Board meeting.
We strongly believe that as a result of significant changes made to the current regulations Azerbaijan was able to accomplish the implementation of all corrective actions. We consider Board’s decision on suspension of Azerbaijan as an unfair one. The mandate of the EITI has been significantly shifted far from transparency and accountability in extractive sectors. The irrelevant facts introduced by different advocacy groups on various occasions show that the Initiative failed to stick to its original mission and objectives.
In 2003 Azerbaijan has signed up to the principles of revenue transparency and revenue governance and remains strongly committed to those principles of good governance, transparency and accountability in extractive industries. Azerbaijan will continue to disclose all the information related to revenues received from extractive industries to the full extent. However, it is with a deep regret I have to officially announce that Azerbaijan is leaving EITI. I kindly ask the International Secretariat to remove Azerbaijan from the list of EITI implementing countries effective immediately. I wish you all success in your future endeavours”.
EITI is a special multilateral and voluntary initiative, supported by a coalition of companies, governments, investors and civil society organizations and global standard for improved transparency in the oil, gas and mining sector. Azerbaijan joined EITI in 2003. Azerbaijan was awarded the "2009 EITI Award" for its commitment to EITI principles and criteria and achievements in EITI Implementation.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Financial Monitoring Service removes one person from blacklist
- 22.09.2017Central Bank develops special program for increase of interest rate transmission capability
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani gov't discusses 2018 state budget
- 21.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 21.09.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 21.09.2017USD rate at today's auction announced
- 21.09.2017US Federal Reserve holds interest rates steady
- 20.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 20.09.2017ADIF pays AZN 748M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 19.09.2017Minister: "IBA can be prepared for privatization"
- 19.09.2017Chamber of Accounts makes decision to send materials on University of Economy to General Prosecutor’s Office
- 19.09.2017Elman Rustamov: We see no risk for manat rate
- 19.09.2017WB: Azerbaijan is our loyal partner
- 19.09.2017CB chairman: Currency market balanced, manat stabilized
- 19.09.2017WB allocated $3.6B for more than 50 projects in Azerbaijan so far
- 19.09.2017Central Bank: Credit activity in Azerbaijan still remains unrecovered
- 19.09.2017Central Bank: Manat stability accompanied by decline in dollarization
- 18.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 18.09.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to government
- 15.09.2017Average monthly salary increases 7% in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 539M
- 15.09.2017Average exchange rate of manat for August announced
- 15.09.2017GDP amounts to AZN 43.7M in Azerbaijan this year
- 15.09.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 11%
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 11B to food this year
- 15.09.2017AZN 10B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 15.09.2017EBRD may become shareholder of IBA
- 14.09.2017EU remains as main foreign trade partner of Azerbaijan
- 14.09.2017AmCham Azerbaijan welcomes initiative on monitoring of the Strategic Road Map
- 14.09.2017USD rate at today's auction announced
- 13.09.2017IMF: Dollarization will decline after restoration of confidence in manat
- 13.09.2017IMF: Azerbaijan’s economic situation recovers
- 13.09.2017IMF laudes reforms carried out in Azerbaijan - Department Director - UPDATED
- 13.09.2017Georgia’s debt to Azerbaijan declines
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani president approves rules on use of social insurance reserve and payment of additional funds to special accounts on insured persons
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan sees 10% rise in foreign trade operations
- 12.09.2017SCC increases budget transfers by 20%
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 64%
- 12.09.2017Deputy chairman of Central Bank resigns
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan – biggest foreign investor of Georgia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 11% rise in January’s troubled loans
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.4 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.03.2017AtaBank increases authorized capital
- 10.03.2017AtaSigorta ends 2016 on profit
- 09.03.2017SOCAR gets rise in SSPF and budget transfers