SOFAZ Executive Director makes statement on suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI
During the meeting, participants discussed several issues and also made decision on the suspension of the status of four countries in EITI – Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Solomon islands and Azerbaijan. Chairman of the government Commission and Multi-stakeholder Group Shahmar Movsumov made statement on the suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI. The statement says:
“Azerbaijan was one of the countries that achieved a lot of “firsts” in EITI. It was the first country to join the EITI and support the international efforts for higher transparency in the extractive industries in 2003. It was the first country to publish the world’s first EITI Report in 2005 and the first Compliant EITI country in 2009.
From the very beginning the government of Azerbaijan was strongly committed to the EITI and its principles, and constantly took steps to underpin positive environment for the smooth implementation of the Initiative. Azerbaijan was able to make difference in each EITI report since then by putting multi-stakeholder efforts together to advance the process as much as possible. In total 20 EITI reports were reconciled and disclosed in Azerbaijan (2003-2015).
The State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan for the successful implementation of EITI became a winner of the 2007 United Nations Public Service Award in the category of "Improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the Public Service".
In order to give a strong backing to EITI process and rise it’s momentum at the international level the Government of Azerbaijan initiated and tabled United Nations General Assembly Resolution on EITI, which on 11 September, 2008 was adopted by consensus.
At its latest meeting in Astana the Board agreed that Azerbaijan had made meaningful progress in implementing the 2016 EITI Standard, and with considerable improvements across several individual requirements compared to the first Validation in 2015. According to the decision of the Board Azerbaijan maintained its “Candidate” status. The Board assigned a number of new corrective actions to be implemented till the next EITI Board meeting.
We strongly believe that as a result of significant changes made to the current regulations Azerbaijan was able to accomplish the implementation of all corrective actions. We consider Board’s decision on suspension of Azerbaijan as an unfair one. The mandate of the EITI has been significantly shifted far from transparency and accountability in extractive sectors. The irrelevant facts introduced by different advocacy groups on various occasions show that the Initiative failed to stick to its original mission and objectives.
In 2003 Azerbaijan has signed up to the principles of revenue transparency and revenue governance and remains strongly committed to those principles of good governance, transparency and accountability in extractive industries. Azerbaijan will continue to disclose all the information related to revenues received from extractive industries to the full extent. However, it is with a deep regret I have to officially announce that Azerbaijan is leaving EITI. I kindly ask the International Secretariat to remove Azerbaijan from the list of EITI implementing countries effective immediately. I wish you all success in your future endeavours”.
EITI is a special multilateral and voluntary initiative, supported by a coalition of companies, governments, investors and civil society organizations and global standard for improved transparency in the oil, gas and mining sector. Azerbaijan joined EITI in 2003. Azerbaijan was awarded the "2009 EITI Award" for its commitment to EITI principles and criteria and achievements in EITI Implementation.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018MPs criticize allocation of funds from state budget to SOCAR
- 22.06.2018Finance Minister announces factors necessitating revision of state budget
- 21.06.2018S&P affirms Muganbank’s rating
- 21.06.2018S&P upgrades ratings on Muganbank
- 20.06.2018SGC increases assets by 35% in 2017
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover doubles
- 20.06.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 36%
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan triples car import
- 20.06.2018“AzerTelecom” expanding its infrastructure in Baku and regions
- 20.06.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 20.06.2018S&P Global: Insurance sector depends on banking sector in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan to create temporary administration in insurance sector
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan manufactures 130 cars this year
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% decline in capital outflow
- 14.06.2018Direct investments to Azerbaijan exceed $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Positive balance on money transfers to Azerbaijan reaches AZN 159M in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s net financial assets increase by $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees $ 1.1B-surplus in balance of payment
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in five months makes up $3.3B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s funds in IBA reach AZN 1.5B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR gets 25% rise in money in banks
- 14.06.2018Compensations paid to SOCAR management last year exceed AZN 1.2M
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 350M in this year
- 14.06.2018Average exchange rate of manat for May announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.1% growth in economy
- 14.06.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan lowers interest rates
- 14.06.2018Budget executed with a surplus of AZN 651mln during 5 months of 2018
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: ‘To lower loan interest rates, risks have to be eliminated’
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: Inflation rate projected to become single-digit by end of 2018
- 13.06.2018Fed raises rates amid stronger inflation, drops crisis-era guidance
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan Railways to increase authorized capital by AZN 100M
- 13.06.2018SCC transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget in five months
- 13.06.2018AZN 5.2B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital in five months of 2018
- 13.06.2018Seminar on Azerbaijan’s customs – challenges for today and tomorrow kicks off in Baku
- 13.06.2018Ministry of Taxes transfers AZN 2.4B to state budget
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani population spend AZN 7B on food this year
- 12.06.2018Reasons for revision of state budget announced
- 12.06.2018SOFAZ’s budget transfers increased by 19%
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan increases forecast on SCC’s budget transfers by 30%
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan – biggest foreign investor of Georgia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 11% rise in January’s troubled loans
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.4 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.03.2017AtaBank increases authorized capital
- 10.03.2017AtaSigorta ends 2016 on profit
- 09.03.2017SOCAR gets rise in SSPF and budget transfers