SOFAZ Executive Director makes statement on suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI
During the meeting, participants discussed several issues and also made decision on the suspension of the status of four countries in EITI – Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Solomon islands and Azerbaijan. Chairman of the government Commission and Multi-stakeholder Group Shahmar Movsumov made statement on the suspension of Azerbaijan’s status in EITI. The statement says:
“Azerbaijan was one of the countries that achieved a lot of “firsts” in EITI. It was the first country to join the EITI and support the international efforts for higher transparency in the extractive industries in 2003. It was the first country to publish the world’s first EITI Report in 2005 and the first Compliant EITI country in 2009.
From the very beginning the government of Azerbaijan was strongly committed to the EITI and its principles, and constantly took steps to underpin positive environment for the smooth implementation of the Initiative. Azerbaijan was able to make difference in each EITI report since then by putting multi-stakeholder efforts together to advance the process as much as possible. In total 20 EITI reports were reconciled and disclosed in Azerbaijan (2003-2015).
The State Oil Fund of the Republic of Azerbaijan for the successful implementation of EITI became a winner of the 2007 United Nations Public Service Award in the category of "Improving transparency, accountability and responsiveness in the Public Service".
In order to give a strong backing to EITI process and rise it’s momentum at the international level the Government of Azerbaijan initiated and tabled United Nations General Assembly Resolution on EITI, which on 11 September, 2008 was adopted by consensus.
At its latest meeting in Astana the Board agreed that Azerbaijan had made meaningful progress in implementing the 2016 EITI Standard, and with considerable improvements across several individual requirements compared to the first Validation in 2015. According to the decision of the Board Azerbaijan maintained its “Candidate” status. The Board assigned a number of new corrective actions to be implemented till the next EITI Board meeting.
We strongly believe that as a result of significant changes made to the current regulations Azerbaijan was able to accomplish the implementation of all corrective actions. We consider Board’s decision on suspension of Azerbaijan as an unfair one. The mandate of the EITI has been significantly shifted far from transparency and accountability in extractive sectors. The irrelevant facts introduced by different advocacy groups on various occasions show that the Initiative failed to stick to its original mission and objectives.
In 2003 Azerbaijan has signed up to the principles of revenue transparency and revenue governance and remains strongly committed to those principles of good governance, transparency and accountability in extractive industries. Azerbaijan will continue to disclose all the information related to revenues received from extractive industries to the full extent. However, it is with a deep regret I have to officially announce that Azerbaijan is leaving EITI. I kindly ask the International Secretariat to remove Azerbaijan from the list of EITI implementing countries effective immediately. I wish you all success in your future endeavours”.
EITI is a special multilateral and voluntary initiative, supported by a coalition of companies, governments, investors and civil society organizations and global standard for improved transparency in the oil, gas and mining sector. Azerbaijan joined EITI in 2003. Azerbaijan was awarded the "2009 EITI Award" for its commitment to EITI principles and criteria and achievements in EITI Implementation.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net worth exceeds AZN 2B
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 17.03.2017EIB allocates €20M loan to AccessBank
- 17.03.2017USD rate continues to decline
- 17.03.2017Number and salary of workers in economy announced
- 17.03.2017Paid services decline 3% in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017PM: IBA former management’s criminal activity worsened the situation
- 17.03.2017PASHA Bank Georgia ends 2016 on profit
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan sees rise in consumption market
- 17.03.2017Catering turnover amounts to over AZN 177M
- 16.03.2017SCC increases budget transfers 52%
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover makes up $682M
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn over AZN 125M
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 22%
- 16.03.2017Average exchange rate of for February announced
- 16.03.2017State budget executed with AZN 179M surpluses in January-February
- 16.03.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 16.03.2017Central Bank to take adequate measures about impact of Federal Reserve’s decision on Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.03.2017AZN 10B asset transferred from IBA
- 16.03.2017Banks’ capital position remaining sensitive to external shocks - FIMSA
- 16.03.2017SOCAR to increase oil output 4.7% this year – Fitch
- 16.03.2017Fitch announces its forecast on inflation and manat rate in Azerbaijan
- 16.03.2017Confidence in manat should be restored – Fitch
- 16.03.2017Transfer of $7.5B from SOFAZ to CBA will strengthen manat – Fitch
- 16.03.2017US Federal Reserve’s decision may indirectly affect Azerbaijan – central bank
- 16.03.2017Fitch forecasts negative outlook for some Azerbaijani banks this year
- 15.03.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 15.03.2017Ministry of Taxes transfers nearly AZN 940M to state budget
- 15.03.2017AMF gets 42% rise in profit
- 15.03.2017Bank of America: Manat has great potential to be strengthened
- 15.03.2017AMF Supervisory Board composition announced
- 15.03.2017GDP increases 0.4% in Azerbaijan
- 15.03.2017Poroshenko expresses his support to Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.03.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan can repay its foreign debts in a few months – president
- 14.03.2017Over AZN 2B invested in fixed capital in January-February
- 13.03.2017Discount rate remained unchanged at CBA board meeting
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan – biggest foreign investor of Georgia
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 11% rise in January’s troubled loans
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan sees 3.4 times decline in USD transactions
- 10.03.2017AtaBank increases authorized capital
- 10.03.2017AtaSigorta ends 2016 on profit
- 09.03.2017SOCAR gets rise in SSPF and budget transfers