SCC chairman: Israeli citizen confesses to hiding large amount of currency from control - UPDATED
APA reports that Aliyev said the Israeli citizen did not submit a large amount of currency to the customs agency and he confessed it: “Several media outlets released reports on the Israeli citizen. We received video. The video shows that he hid the money, did not submit to the customs authority and confessed it. According to him, he hid the money as if to prevent stealing. However, customs officer showed suspicious acts by him and invited to the personal inspection. The inspection revealed a large amount of money”.
Several media outlets released untrue reports that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally, State Customs Committee (SCC) told APA-Economics.
The SCC said that an Israeli citizen Alexander Gorenshtein, who intended to fly to Israel from Azerbaijan on May 18, 2017, passed through customs control, but did not submit foreign currency to the customs authority: “Due to suspicious acts, he was detained by customs officers. During the interrogation, he said he has $10,000. However, personal inspection revealed that he had $33,000 in addition and $2,000 in his wallet. Totally, $35,000 has been seized from him, which had not been submitted to the customs authority”.
Investigation on fact is underway.
State Customs Committee (SCC) commented on reports released yesterday that an Israeli citizen faced unlawful action at Heydar Aliyev International Airport and the currency he carried was seized illegally.
SCC told APA-Economics that the reports are untrue: “That person tried to pass through customs control by hiding the currency in a special pocket sewn in his trousers. The video below also shows it. Additional information on fact will be released”.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018SGC increases assets by 35% in 2017
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover doubles
- 20.06.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 36%
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan triples car import
- 20.06.2018“AzerTelecom” expanding its infrastructure in Baku and regions
- 20.06.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 20.06.2018S&P Global: Insurance sector depends on banking sector in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan to create temporary administration in insurance sector
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan manufactures 130 cars this year
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% decline in capital outflow
- 14.06.2018Direct investments to Azerbaijan exceed $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Positive balance on money transfers to Azerbaijan reaches AZN 159M in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s net financial assets increase by $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees $ 1.1B-surplus in balance of payment
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in five months makes up $3.3B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s funds in IBA reach AZN 1.5B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR gets 25% rise in money in banks
- 14.06.2018Compensations paid to SOCAR management last year exceed AZN 1.2M
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 350M in this year
- 14.06.2018Average exchange rate of manat for May announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.1% growth in economy
- 14.06.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan lowers interest rates
- 14.06.2018Budget executed with a surplus of AZN 651mln during 5 months of 2018
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: ‘To lower loan interest rates, risks have to be eliminated’
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: Inflation rate projected to become single-digit by end of 2018
- 13.06.2018Fed raises rates amid stronger inflation, drops crisis-era guidance
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan Railways to increase authorized capital by AZN 100M
- 13.06.2018SCC transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget in five months
- 13.06.2018AZN 5.2B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital in five months of 2018
- 13.06.2018Seminar on Azerbaijan’s customs – challenges for today and tomorrow kicks off in Baku
- 13.06.2018Ministry of Taxes transfers AZN 2.4B to state budget
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani population spend AZN 7B on food this year
- 12.06.2018Reasons for revision of state budget announced
- 12.06.2018SOFAZ’s budget transfers increased by 19%
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan increases forecast on SCC’s budget transfers by 30%
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan’s external public debt for four months announced
- 12.06.2018Forecast on budget transfers through Ministry of Taxes increased by 6%
- 12.06.2018Base oil price in 2018 state budget to be increased
- 12.06.2018Revenues and expenditures of 2018 state budget to be increased
- 23.05.2017Samir Sharifov: "Azerbaijan's IBA will be privatised but not before 2018"
- 24.05.2017IBA ratings may be revised
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijan-based banks ranking for expenditures growth rate
- 23.05.2017IBA starts talks with foreign creditors in London
- 23.05.2017USD rate at today's auction declines
- 23.05.2017Part of AZN 10B-bonds issued for IBA’s financial health unregistered