S&P downgrades SOCAR’s rating
In addition, S & P removed the long-term corporate credit rating of SOCAR from the list of CreditWatch Negative.
The downgrade was caused by high capital expenditures, aggressive financial policies and the fact government support may not be sufficient to compensate for the risks associated with high and growing indebtedness of SOCAR, the report says.
At the same time, the agency believes that the state, if necessary, will provide proper support to SOCAR, since the company is a "key asset in the oil and gas sector" for the government.
S & P is considering increasing the share of SOCAR in the Azeri-Chirag-Gunashli project development project to 25% from 11.6% as "a clear sign of continued support to the company."
The agency stresses that SOCAR is subject to risks associated with the weak banking system of Azerbaijan. At the same time, the agency notes that the recent problems related to the restructuring of the external liabilities of the International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA) have had a limited impact on SOCAR.
"We also believe that the company faces certain currency risks, since most of its debt and capex are denominated in US dollars," the press release said.
However, the agency stressed that the liquidity of SOCAR is still manageable.
S & P believes that the upgrade of SOCAR's ratings in the next two years remains under the question due to the company's significant debt.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Unibank ends 2017 on profit
- 19.01.2018Aydin Aliyev comments on reports regarding merger of SCC with other state bodies
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijan sees 24% rise in compulsory insurance of automobiles
- 19.01.2018Premiums on real estate compulsory insurance increase
- 19.01.2018Ziraat Bank Azerbaijan’s liabilities increase by 69%
- 18.01.2018New department created in Ministry of Taxes
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijan to develop draft law on Investment activity
- 18.01.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 250M
- 18.01.2018Azer-Turk Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.01.2018Personal incomes rise more than 8% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Average exchange rate of manat for December announced
- 17.01.2018Average monthly salary increases 6.2% in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Central Bank comments on refusal of floating exchange rate regime
- 17.01.2018Turanbank ends 2017 on loss
- 17.01.2018Demirbank’s foreign stakeholder comments on its closure
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Industry Corporation established
- 16.01.2018Anglo-Asian Mining owes $9M to Azerbaijani banks
- 16.01.2018Moody’s prepares capital scenario analysis for rated banks in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 16.01.2018"Moody's": Weak players of Azerbaijan’s banking sector will exit - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 16.01.2018Moody’s: Further possible tightening of regulation could require additional recapitalization by banks in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Moody’s: IBA restored capital position - EXCLUSIVE
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of premiums
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/premium ratio
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 16.01.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 16.01.2018Insurance premiums amount to AZN 557M last year
- 16.01.2018Anglo Asian Mining’s shares double
- 15.01.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan Industry Bank increases liabilities
- 15.01.2018Gala Life insurance company reveals 2017 financial performances
- 15.01.2018USD operations decline 1.8-fold in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees decline in number of ATMs
- 15.01.2018Deposits in foreign currency decline in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in money supply in eleven months of 2017
- 15.01.2018Troubled loans make up 15.5% of provision of crediting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-based banks see decline in total foreign assets
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan sees rise in provision of crediting in 2017
- 03.11.2017Kestutis Yankauskas: Azerbaijan can always rely on EU’s assistance for rural development
- 03.11.2017Kestutis Yankauskas: Azerbaijan to spend 40 percent of funds to be allocated by EU on rural development
- 03.11.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net worth exceeds AZN 3B
- 02.11.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 02.11.2017AZAL repays AZN 210M loan to Central Bank
- 02.11.2017Tax overpayments to state budget totals $2.1B