DB commits $5 billion to supporting CAREC 2030 in next 5 years
Asian Development Bank (ADB) President Takehiko Nakao concluded a 3-day visit to Tajikistan today, where he attended the 16th Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Ministerial Conference, APA-Economics reports.
CAREC Ministers from 11 member countries unanimously endorsed CAREC 2030, a new long-term strategy that will take the CAREC program to its third decade of operations.
The strategy is anchored on the mission to connect people, policies, and projects. It envisages scaling up and broadening CAREC’s mandate, including supporting regional economic and financial stability, and regional initiatives in the areas of tourism, agriculture and water resources, and health and education. At the same time, CAREC will maintain focus and its comparative advantage in the existing priority areas of transport, energy, trade, and economic corridors development.
Adoption of the CAREC 2030 strategy will also help countries in the region achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate change targets under the Paris agreement, while aligning with national development priorities.
In his speech, Mr. Nakao announced that ADB will commit $5 billion to supporting CAREC 2030 in the next 5 years. This is about a quarter of the total ADB financing for projects in CAREC countries except the People’s Republic of China. ADB has just approved a new $800 million Multi-Tranche Financing Facility for CAREC road corridor development in Pakistan. Next year, ADB will finance the first phase of the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan (TAP) transmission line project for $150 million. ADB has already begun discussions for regional projects in the areas of agribusiness, tourism, and railways covered in CAREC 2030.
ADB functions as the secretariat of the CAREC program. Cumulatively, the CAREC program has mobilized more than $30 billion of investments since it was set up in 2001. Over a third of this amount, or $10.5 billion, has been financed by ADB, and the rest by member governments and other development partners.
To date, CAREC financing has been used to build or rehabilitate 8,592 kilometers (km) of road and more than 5,103 km of rail across 6 transport corridors, strengthening connectivity and trade within and outside the region. Over 9,041 km of power transmission lines have been constructed, supporting the expansion of energy trade between energy surplus Central Asian countries and energy deficit countries in South Asia, including Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Besides investments through projects, CAREC has contributed to trade facilitation, and capacity building and knowledge generation and sharing across CAREC countries. The CAREC Institute which is spearheading knowledge efforts is now operating as an intergovernmental organization.
In a joint statement titled the “Dushanbe Declaration,” CAREC Ministers highlighted that regional cooperation has become even more critical to meet their development goals. Ministers stressed the need to engage with the private sector, civil society, development partners, and other stakeholders in regional projects; and strengthen linkages with other regional cooperation programs including the Belt and Road Initiative.
ADB, based in Manila, is dedicated to reducing poverty in Asia and the Pacific through inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration. Established in 1966, ADB is celebrating 50 years of development partnership in the region. It is owned by 67 members—48 from the region. In 2016, ADB assistance totaled $31.7 billion, including $14 billion in cofinancing.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 350M
- 22.06.2018MPs criticize allocation of funds from state budget to SOCAR
- 22.06.2018Finance Minister announces factors necessitating revision of state budget
- 21.06.2018S&P affirms Muganbank’s rating
- 21.06.2018S&P upgrades ratings on Muganbank
- 20.06.2018SGC increases assets by 35% in 2017
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan triples energy export this year
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover doubles
- 20.06.2018State Customs Committee increases budget transfers by 36%
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan triples car import
- 20.06.2018“AzerTelecom” expanding its infrastructure in Baku and regions
- 20.06.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 20.06.2018S&P Global: Insurance sector depends on banking sector in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijan to create temporary administration in insurance sector
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan manufactures 130 cars this year
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 11% decline in capital outflow
- 14.06.2018Direct investments to Azerbaijan exceed $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Positive balance on money transfers to Azerbaijan reaches AZN 159M in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s net financial assets increase by $1B in Q1
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees $ 1.1B-surplus in balance of payment
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign trade turnover in five months makes up $3.3B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR’s funds in IBA reach AZN 1.5B
- 14.06.2018SOCAR gets 25% rise in money in banks
- 14.06.2018Compensations paid to SOCAR management last year exceed AZN 1.2M
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 350M in this year
- 14.06.2018Average exchange rate of manat for May announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijan sees 1.1% growth in economy
- 14.06.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan lowers interest rates
- 14.06.2018Budget executed with a surplus of AZN 651mln during 5 months of 2018
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: ‘To lower loan interest rates, risks have to be eliminated’
- 14.06.2018Elman Rustamov: Inflation rate projected to become single-digit by end of 2018
- 13.06.2018Fed raises rates amid stronger inflation, drops crisis-era guidance
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijan Railways to increase authorized capital by AZN 100M
- 13.06.2018SCC transfers AZN 1.3B to state budget in five months
- 13.06.2018AZN 5.2B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital in five months of 2018
- 13.06.2018Seminar on Azerbaijan’s customs – challenges for today and tomorrow kicks off in Baku
- 13.06.2018Ministry of Taxes transfers AZN 2.4B to state budget
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani population spend AZN 7B on food this year
- 12.06.2018Reasons for revision of state budget announced
- 12.06.2018SOFAZ’s budget transfers increased by 19%
- 27.10.2017Bank BTB concludes three quarters with profit
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Turkey, Azerbaijan have potential to increase investments to $30 billion within five years
- 30.10.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 27.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Iran cooperation yields results, all agreements are fulfilled
- 27.10.2017Unibank’s loss reaches AZN 11M
- 27.10.2017Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s GDP per capita to make over $4,000