DB commits $5 billion to supporting CAREC 2030 in next 5 years
Asian Development Bank (ADB) President Takehiko Nakao concluded a 3-day visit to Tajikistan today, where he attended the 16th Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Ministerial Conference, APA-Economics reports.
CAREC Ministers from 11 member countries unanimously endorsed CAREC 2030, a new long-term strategy that will take the CAREC program to its third decade of operations.
The strategy is anchored on the mission to connect people, policies, and projects. It envisages scaling up and broadening CAREC’s mandate, including supporting regional economic and financial stability, and regional initiatives in the areas of tourism, agriculture and water resources, and health and education. At the same time, CAREC will maintain focus and its comparative advantage in the existing priority areas of transport, energy, trade, and economic corridors development.
Adoption of the CAREC 2030 strategy will also help countries in the region achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate change targets under the Paris agreement, while aligning with national development priorities.
In his speech, Mr. Nakao announced that ADB will commit $5 billion to supporting CAREC 2030 in the next 5 years. This is about a quarter of the total ADB financing for projects in CAREC countries except the People’s Republic of China. ADB has just approved a new $800 million Multi-Tranche Financing Facility for CAREC road corridor development in Pakistan. Next year, ADB will finance the first phase of the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan (TAP) transmission line project for $150 million. ADB has already begun discussions for regional projects in the areas of agribusiness, tourism, and railways covered in CAREC 2030.
ADB functions as the secretariat of the CAREC program. Cumulatively, the CAREC program has mobilized more than $30 billion of investments since it was set up in 2001. Over a third of this amount, or $10.5 billion, has been financed by ADB, and the rest by member governments and other development partners.
To date, CAREC financing has been used to build or rehabilitate 8,592 kilometers (km) of road and more than 5,103 km of rail across 6 transport corridors, strengthening connectivity and trade within and outside the region. Over 9,041 km of power transmission lines have been constructed, supporting the expansion of energy trade between energy surplus Central Asian countries and energy deficit countries in South Asia, including Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Besides investments through projects, CAREC has contributed to trade facilitation, and capacity building and knowledge generation and sharing across CAREC countries. The CAREC Institute which is spearheading knowledge efforts is now operating as an intergovernmental organization.
In a joint statement titled the “Dushanbe Declaration,” CAREC Ministers highlighted that regional cooperation has become even more critical to meet their development goals. Ministers stressed the need to engage with the private sector, civil society, development partners, and other stakeholders in regional projects; and strengthen linkages with other regional cooperation programs including the Belt and Road Initiative.
ADB, based in Manila, is dedicated to reducing poverty in Asia and the Pacific through inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration. Established in 1966, ADB is celebrating 50 years of development partnership in the region. It is owned by 67 members—48 from the region. In 2016, ADB assistance totaled $31.7 billion, including $14 billion in cofinancing.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 200M
- 22.02.2018Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s economy to grow 2% in 2019
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/premium ratio
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment growth rate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 21.02.2018CBA attracts more than AZN 1B from deposit auction last year
- 21.02.2018CBA: SOFAZ sold $3.6B in currency auction last year
- 21.02.2018Stabilization of manat rate causes sharp decline in sale of currency
- 21.02.2018Money transfers to Azerbaijan doubled last year
- 21.02.2018AZN 1.2B invested in banks’ equity capital in 2016-2017
- 20.02.2018More than 70% of all transactions at AccessBank go online - INTERVIEW
- 20.02.2018BSE turnover increases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan increases car import from Georgia by six fold
- 20.02.2018Deputy Minister: Debts on mandatory state social insurance as of January 1, 2018 exceed AZN 364M
- 20.02.2018Mandatory state social insurance amnesty expected in Azerbaijan - EXCLUSIVE
- 19.02.2018Gala Insurance increases premiums by 27%
- 19.02.2018Petkim doubles profit
- 19.02.2018PASHA Yatirim Bankasi issues TRY 32.5M bonds
- 19.02.2018Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $91M in January
- 19.02.2018Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 19.02.2018Yapi Kredi Bank ends 2017 on profit
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan’s State Customs Committee increases budget transfers
- 16.02.2018USD rate for Feb.19 announced
- 16.02.2018Credit institutions issues AZN 1.3B-shares last year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 715M to state budget this year
- 16.02.2018SOFAZ transfers AZN 77.6B to state budget during 15 years - ANALYSIS
- 16.02.2018Personal incomes rise by 12% in Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018Average exchange rate of manat for January announced
- 15.02.2018Economic growth in Azerbaijan makes up 2% in January
- 15.02.2018State budget executed with surplus of AZN 977M in January
- 15.02.2018Baku hosts next meeting of Azerbaijan-Qatar intergovernmental commission
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Minister of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia
- 15.02.2018More than $15M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia last year
- 15.02.2018Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 250M
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan Credit Bureau’s authorized capital announced
- 14.02.2018State program on improvement of official statistics in 2018-2025 approved
- 27.10.2017Bank BTB concludes three quarters with profit
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Turkey, Azerbaijan have potential to increase investments to $30 billion within five years
- 30.10.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 27.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Iran cooperation yields results, all agreements are fulfilled
- 27.10.2017Unibank’s loss reaches AZN 11M
- 27.10.2017Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s GDP per capita to make over $4,000