DB commits $5 billion to supporting CAREC 2030 in next 5 years
Asian Development Bank (ADB) President Takehiko Nakao concluded a 3-day visit to Tajikistan today, where he attended the 16th Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Ministerial Conference, APA-Economics reports.
CAREC Ministers from 11 member countries unanimously endorsed CAREC 2030, a new long-term strategy that will take the CAREC program to its third decade of operations.
The strategy is anchored on the mission to connect people, policies, and projects. It envisages scaling up and broadening CAREC’s mandate, including supporting regional economic and financial stability, and regional initiatives in the areas of tourism, agriculture and water resources, and health and education. At the same time, CAREC will maintain focus and its comparative advantage in the existing priority areas of transport, energy, trade, and economic corridors development.
Adoption of the CAREC 2030 strategy will also help countries in the region achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and climate change targets under the Paris agreement, while aligning with national development priorities.
In his speech, Mr. Nakao announced that ADB will commit $5 billion to supporting CAREC 2030 in the next 5 years. This is about a quarter of the total ADB financing for projects in CAREC countries except the People’s Republic of China. ADB has just approved a new $800 million Multi-Tranche Financing Facility for CAREC road corridor development in Pakistan. Next year, ADB will finance the first phase of the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan (TAP) transmission line project for $150 million. ADB has already begun discussions for regional projects in the areas of agribusiness, tourism, and railways covered in CAREC 2030.
ADB functions as the secretariat of the CAREC program. Cumulatively, the CAREC program has mobilized more than $30 billion of investments since it was set up in 2001. Over a third of this amount, or $10.5 billion, has been financed by ADB, and the rest by member governments and other development partners.
To date, CAREC financing has been used to build or rehabilitate 8,592 kilometers (km) of road and more than 5,103 km of rail across 6 transport corridors, strengthening connectivity and trade within and outside the region. Over 9,041 km of power transmission lines have been constructed, supporting the expansion of energy trade between energy surplus Central Asian countries and energy deficit countries in South Asia, including Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Besides investments through projects, CAREC has contributed to trade facilitation, and capacity building and knowledge generation and sharing across CAREC countries. The CAREC Institute which is spearheading knowledge efforts is now operating as an intergovernmental organization.
In a joint statement titled the “Dushanbe Declaration,” CAREC Ministers highlighted that regional cooperation has become even more critical to meet their development goals. Ministers stressed the need to engage with the private sector, civil society, development partners, and other stakeholders in regional projects; and strengthen linkages with other regional cooperation programs including the Belt and Road Initiative.
ADB, based in Manila, is dedicated to reducing poverty in Asia and the Pacific through inclusive economic growth, environmentally sustainable growth, and regional integration. Established in 1966, ADB is celebrating 50 years of development partnership in the region. It is owned by 67 members—48 from the region. In 2016, ADB assistance totaled $31.7 billion, including $14 billion in cofinancing.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017UK trade mission to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.11.2017Elman Rustamov: Conformation of economy with current oil price completed
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijan’s strategic currency reserves exceed $42B
- 21.11.2017CBA Chairman: exchange rate of manat stabilized
- 21.11.2017Janet Yellen submits resignation from Fed
- 20.11.2017IBA-Moscow – one of 10 most profitable banks in Russia
- 20.11.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $600M
- 20.11.2017AGBank’s mortgage portfolio exceeds AZN 56M
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums growth rate
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments/premiums ratio
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums near AZN 463
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 723 million to payment of loan interests
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 14.2B on food this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia get 6.5% rise in trade turnover
- 16.11.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia increase 9.5%
- 16.11.2017SCC transfers AZN 2.3B to state budget this year
- 16.11.2017AZN12.5B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 708M this year
- 16.11.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 593M
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan sees 0.7% decline in economy
- 15.11.2017CBA: Global rise of some food products prevent reduction in inflation rate
- 15.11.2017New CEO of Caspian European Club announced
- 15.11.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan makes decision to keep other parameters of discount rate and interest corridor unchanged
- 14.11.2017President: Azerbaijan’s financial situation is inaccessible for many countries
- 14.11.2017President: No other country developed as rapidly as did Azerbaijan in terms of economic reforms in past 14 years
- 14.11.2017Russian government acquires about 100% of Bank VTB Azerbaijan’s shares
- 14.11.2017Number of wageworkers in economy announced
- 14.11.2017SCC transfers AZN 2.2B to state budget this year
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover increases 9-fold
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan increases car import by 86%
- 14.11.2017BSE turnover doubles
- 13.11.2017Drafts of budgets for 2018 recommended to plenary meeting of parliament
- 13.11.2017State budget for 2018 drawn up in three scenarios
- 13.11.2017Inflation in Azerbaijan made up 1.1% last month
- 10.11.2017Bitcoin slides by over $1,000 in less than 48 hours
- 10.11.2017PASHA Bank Georgia sees 10% decline in assets
- 27.10.2017Bank BTB concludes three quarters with profit
- 30.10.2017Erdogan: Turkey, Azerbaijan have potential to increase investments to $30 billion within five years
- 30.10.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 27.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Iran cooperation yields results, all agreements are fulfilled
- 27.10.2017Unibank’s loss reaches AZN 11M
- 27.10.2017Moody’s: Azerbaijan’s GDP per capita to make over $4,000