Azerbaijan ranks 35th in Global Competitiveness Report
In the most authoritative international rating, Azerbaijan has maintained its leadership in the CIS, leaving behind three out of every four countries of the world. Azerbaijan has outclassed even G20 countries, including Italy, Russia, Indonesia, India, Turkey, and the South African Republic in the economic competitiveness index. According to the Global Competitiveness Report, Russia ranks 38th, Kazakhstan 57th, Georgia 67th and Armenia 73rd.
In the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018, Azerbaijan improved its position in 9 out of 12 pillars: Institutions (moved up 15 spots to rank 33rd), Infrastructure (moved up 4 spots to rank 51st), Health and Primary Education (moved up 1 spot to rank 74th), Higher Education and Training (moved up 10 spots to rank 68th), Goods Market Efficiency (moved up 19 spots to rank 31st), Labor Market Efficiency (moved up 9 spots to ranks 17th), Financial Market Development (moved up 18 spots to rank 79th), Business Sophistication (moved up 20 spots to rank 40th), and Innovation (moved up 11 spots to rank 33rd). Azerbaijan made the greatest advancement in Business Sophistication pillar – 20 spots.
In Infrastructure pillar, Azerbaijan`s transport system ranks 43rd among 140 countries. In Labor market efficiency pillar, Azerbaijan is the world`s number 17 in terms of the efficient use of talent, outclassing Israel, Ireland, Belgium, Austria and Estonia. In Goods market efficiency pillar, Azerbaijan ranks 32nd in Competition and 31st in Quality of Demand Conditions categories.
Azerbaijan`s position declined only in two pillars – Macroeconomic Environment and Technological Readiness. Despite the impact of external shocks, the country ranks 37th among 140 countries in Government’s Budget category. Azerbaijan also enjoys a strong position in Government`s Debt category – 43rd place. In Macroeconomic Environment pillar, Azerbaijan`s position declined in Inflation category.
The country`s position remained unchanged in Market Size pillar.
Although the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018 singles out structural problems as major global challenges, Azerbaijan ranks 33rd in the world in Institutions pillar. The report stresses the important role the financial system will need to play in facilitating investment in innovation related to the Fourth Industrial Revolution, hailing Azerbaijan`s strengthening position and the country`s moving up to the 33rd place. In high technologies sector, Azerbaijan ranks 14th in government supply indicator, outclassing the Netherlands, Norway and the United Kingdom. According to the report, Azerbaijan is one of the counties with the lowest social inequality indicator.
The advancement of Azerbaijan's position in the world's most authoritative rating points to the international community`s recognition of the policy of comprehensive economic reforms conducted by President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani President's Order "On additional measures aimed at improving business environment and international rating of Azerbaijan" dated July 13, 2016 saw continuation of comprehensive work in this area in the country.
Azerbaijan has improved its legislation and administrative system to ensure optimal profitability of entrepreneurial activity and to create a business environment based on competitiveness principles, to increase investment attractiveness of the country, and to further improve Azerbaijan's position in international ratings. The monitoring and evaluation of the Strategic Road Map, which was approved by President Ilham Aliyev on December 6, 2016, also showed that Azerbaijan`s systematic economic policy line is yielding fruits.
Azerbaijan's moving up two places in the 2017-2018 Global Competitiveness Report shows that the country's position will improve in other authoritative ratings too.
Related news releases
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment market share
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums market share
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payment/Premium ratio
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for payments
- 18.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives World Bank delegation - UPDATED
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for premiums
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers’ premiums exceed AZN 504.2M
- 18.12.2017Iran offers Azerbaijan to use national currencies in trade
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan, Iran to carry out sale and purchase of energy carriers in Tehran bourse - EXCLUSIVE
- 18.12.2017WB to support Azerbaijan in involvement of private investments
- 18.12.2017Unicapital heads brokers ranking for January-November
- 18.12.2017BSE turnover doubles
- 15.12.2017IMF: The nonhydrocarbon sector is expected to increase by 4 percent in 2018
- 15.12.2017$14M transferred from Azerbaijan to Georgia this year
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s currency reserves increase, financial situation is stable
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijan spends AZN 4B on social defence, education and health this year
- 15.12.2017EBRD: Azerbaijan made progress for privatisation of IBA
- 14.12.2017Average exchange rate of manat for November announced
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn AZN 780M this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 781 million to payment of loan interests
- 14.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: BP is the key partner in Azerbaijan's global energy projects - UPDATED
- 14.12.2017State budget executed with deficit of AZN 714M
- 14.12.2017Great Britain invests more than $27B in Azerbaijan’s economy
- 14.12.2017Moody’s: Azerbaijan-based banks’ funding prospects are limited
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan sees 16% growth in economy
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 14.2B on food this year
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover nears $5B
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan doubles car import
- 13.12.2017AZN13.7B invested in Azerbaijan’s fixed capital this year
- 13.12.2017SCC transfers nearly AZN 2.4B to state budget this year
- 12.12.2017Number of wageworkers in economy announced
- 12.12.2017Annual inflation reaches 13.4%
- 11.12.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan still biggest investor in Georgia
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks see AZN 4.2B decline in provision of crediting
- 11.12.2017Banks’ liabilities to Central Bank decline
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net profit nears AZN 550M
- 11.12.2017Azerbaijan-based banks’ net worth makes up AZN 3.1B
- 08.12.2017Bitcoin tumbles after dramatic gains ahead of futures launch
- 08.12.2017Troubled loans reach AZN 1.9B
- 28.09.2017Manat stability proves balanced market – central bank - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.09.2017ADIF pays AZN 748M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani billionaires want to buy land plot of IBA-Moscow
- 27.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 27.09.2017Official Exchange Rates
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments