Azerbaijan ranks 35th in Global Competitiveness Report
In the most authoritative international rating, Azerbaijan has maintained its leadership in the CIS, leaving behind three out of every four countries of the world. Azerbaijan has outclassed even G20 countries, including Italy, Russia, Indonesia, India, Turkey, and the South African Republic in the economic competitiveness index. According to the Global Competitiveness Report, Russia ranks 38th, Kazakhstan 57th, Georgia 67th and Armenia 73rd.
In the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018, Azerbaijan improved its position in 9 out of 12 pillars: Institutions (moved up 15 spots to rank 33rd), Infrastructure (moved up 4 spots to rank 51st), Health and Primary Education (moved up 1 spot to rank 74th), Higher Education and Training (moved up 10 spots to rank 68th), Goods Market Efficiency (moved up 19 spots to rank 31st), Labor Market Efficiency (moved up 9 spots to ranks 17th), Financial Market Development (moved up 18 spots to rank 79th), Business Sophistication (moved up 20 spots to rank 40th), and Innovation (moved up 11 spots to rank 33rd). Azerbaijan made the greatest advancement in Business Sophistication pillar – 20 spots.
In Infrastructure pillar, Azerbaijan`s transport system ranks 43rd among 140 countries. In Labor market efficiency pillar, Azerbaijan is the world`s number 17 in terms of the efficient use of talent, outclassing Israel, Ireland, Belgium, Austria and Estonia. In Goods market efficiency pillar, Azerbaijan ranks 32nd in Competition and 31st in Quality of Demand Conditions categories.
Azerbaijan`s position declined only in two pillars – Macroeconomic Environment and Technological Readiness. Despite the impact of external shocks, the country ranks 37th among 140 countries in Government’s Budget category. Azerbaijan also enjoys a strong position in Government`s Debt category – 43rd place. In Macroeconomic Environment pillar, Azerbaijan`s position declined in Inflation category.
The country`s position remained unchanged in Market Size pillar.
Although the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018 singles out structural problems as major global challenges, Azerbaijan ranks 33rd in the world in Institutions pillar. The report stresses the important role the financial system will need to play in facilitating investment in innovation related to the Fourth Industrial Revolution, hailing Azerbaijan`s strengthening position and the country`s moving up to the 33rd place. In high technologies sector, Azerbaijan ranks 14th in government supply indicator, outclassing the Netherlands, Norway and the United Kingdom. According to the report, Azerbaijan is one of the counties with the lowest social inequality indicator.
The advancement of Azerbaijan's position in the world's most authoritative rating points to the international community`s recognition of the policy of comprehensive economic reforms conducted by President Ilham Aliyev.
The Azerbaijani President's Order "On additional measures aimed at improving business environment and international rating of Azerbaijan" dated July 13, 2016 saw continuation of comprehensive work in this area in the country.
Azerbaijan has improved its legislation and administrative system to ensure optimal profitability of entrepreneurial activity and to create a business environment based on competitiveness principles, to increase investment attractiveness of the country, and to further improve Azerbaijan's position in international ratings. The monitoring and evaluation of the Strategic Road Map, which was approved by President Ilham Aliyev on December 6, 2016, also showed that Azerbaijan`s systematic economic policy line is yielding fruits.
Azerbaijan's moving up two places in the 2017-2018 Global Competitiveness Report shows that the country's position will improve in other authoritative ratings too.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Baku branch of National Bank of Pakistan concludes quarter with loss
- 20.10.2017Bank VTB Azerbaijan increases deposit portfolio
- 20.10.2017AZN 442M to be paid to IBA creditors next year
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan to allocate AZN 250M for social mortgage from 2018 state budget
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan’s positive balance from foreign trade turnover makes up $2B
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan increases expenditures on law-enforcement agencies, prosecutor’s office, defence and judiciary in 2018 state budget
- 20.10.2017Economic growth in Azerbaijan to make up 1.5% next year
- 20.10.2017SCC transfers nearly AZN 2B to state budget this year
- 20.10.2017Base oil price in state budget makes up $45
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan offers Arab countries to create joint investment funds
- 20.10.2017SOFAZ assets exceed $36B
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijan increases upper limit of SOFAZ transfers to state budget
- 20.10.2017Parameters of 2018 state budget announced
- 19.10.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 100M
- 19.10.2017Bank Silk Way concludes three quarters with profit
- 19.10.2017WB forecasts economic growth in Azerbaijan for next two years
- 19.10.2017Trade turnover between Azerbaijan and Georgia exceeds $500M
- 19.10.2017Draft state budget for 2018 submitted to parliament
- 19.10.2017Central Bank transfers AZN 250M to state budget
- 19.10.2017AZN 784M budget deficit emerged in nine months
- 18.10.2017AMF issues AZN 25M bond
- 18.10.2017Extra-budgetary fund of tax authorities receive AZN 62M this year
- 18.10.2017AFB Bank’s special reserves make up AZN 25M
- 18.10.2017FIMSA comments on consolidation of Rabitabank and Bank Respublika
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan – third biggest investor of Turkey
- 17.10.2017Over AZN 6 billion liquid funds emerged in banking sector - ABA
- 17.10.2017Association: We think all banks should keep operating
- 17.10.2017AZN 41,250 paid in compensation to those suffered by accident resulted in killing of six students
- 17.10.2017Xalg Bank sees 14% decline in personal savings
- 16.10.2017Money transfers from Azerbaijan to Georgia this year make up AZN 11.3M
- 16.10.2017Gunay Bank’s debt to Central Bank declines
- 16.10.2017Caspian European Club to hold business forum with head of SCC
- 16.10.2017Kapital Bank’s profit nears AZN 58M
- 16.10.2017Central Bank announces result of today’s auction
- 16.10.2017AGBank repays AZN 5M to central bank
- 16.10.2017AGBank’s troubled loans increase by AZN 28M
- 14.10.2017Azerbaijan-based banks to work on enhanced mode during shopping festival
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani population spend AZN 652 million to payment of loan interests
- 13.10.2017Average monthly salary increases 7.4% in Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijan’s mobile operators earn nearly AZN 636M
- 28.09.2017Manat stability proves balanced market – central bank - EXCLUSIVE
- 28.09.2017ADIF pays AZN 748M in compensation to eleven closed banks’ customers
- 29.09.2017Azerbaijani billionaires want to buy land plot of IBA-Moscow
- 27.09.2017USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 27.09.2017Official Exchange Rates
- 26.09.2017Azerbaijan-based insurers ranking for market share of payments