Turkish Central Bank hikes interest rates
The Turkish Central Bank on Wednesday announced an increase of late liquidity window interest rates by three percentage points, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
According to the statement issued by the bank, the late liquidity window interest rates -- between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. (between 1300 and 1400GMT) -- were changed.
The borrowing rate was kept at 0 percent while the lending rate was increased from 13.50 to 16.50 percent.
The bank's move came after the U.S. dollar/Turkish lira exchange rate hit a historic high on Wednesday, climbing to around 4.93. Following the bank's decision, the dollar/lira rate fell steeply to below 4.60.
In the beginning of the year, the USD/TRY rate was 3.78 while the average rate was 3.65 last year.
The bank's Monetary Policy Committee meeting on Wednesday was held urgently. According to the bank's schedule, the next meeting is to be held on June 7.
The Central Bank kept its policy rate -- the one-week repo rate -- constant at 8 percent while the marginal funding and overnight borrowing rates were kept constant at 9.25 and 7.25 percent, respectively.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 20.06.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price goes up
- 20.06.2018Gold price falls
- 20.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 20.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 14.06.2018USD rate for June 20 announced
- 14.06.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 14.06.2018Oil prices fall as U.S. crude production hits another record
- 13.06.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 13.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 13.06.2018Gold price falls
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 13.06.2018Oil prices go down
- 12.06.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 12.06.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price rises slightly
- 12.06.2018Gold price falls
- 12.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 12.06.2018Oil edges up on cautious optimism over Trump, Kim summit in Singapore
- 11.06.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 11.06.2018Oil prices go down
- 11.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 08.06.2018USD rate for June 11 announced
- 08.06.2018Gold price goes down by more than $2
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price continues to rise
- 07.06.2018US stocks go up
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price rises
- 07.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 07.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 06.06.2018Gold price falls
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 06.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 05.06.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 05.06.2018Gold price goes down by about $2
- 05.06.2018Oil prices go up
- 05.06.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 05.06.2018Oil falls 2 percent, U.S. crude hits lowest since early April
- 24.05.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 24.05.2018Oil prices go down
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 23.05.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 23.05.2018Gold price falls
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani oil price exceeds $81