Rise in US oil rigs push Brent oil below $62
Brent crude fell below $62 Friday after the number of oil rigs in the U.S. showed a sharp increase, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The international benchmark dipped to $61.72 per barrel at 1.40 EST (1840GMT), posting a daily loss of 4.7 percent, and reaching its lowest level since Dec. 7.
The American benchmark, West Texas Intermediate, hit $58.09 a barrel -- a 5 percent loss that marked its lowest level since Dec. 22.
The price declines were posted after the number of oil rigs in the U.S. jumped by 26, its highest weekly gain in a year, according to data released by oilfield services company Baker Hughes.
The number of rigs, which indicates the short-term change in the U.S.'s oil industry, is now at 791 -- its highest since April 2015 -- and a 34 percent increase over the last year.
The U.S.'s crude production hit a record high level last week by climbing to 10.25 million barrels per day (mbpd), according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Crude output in the U.S. is expected to average 10.6 mbpd this year, an EIA report said earlier this week.
The U.S.' crude production is projected to reach 11.2 mbpd next year to surpass Russia as the world's biggest crude producer.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 20.02.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price nears $67
- 20.02.2018Gold price goes down nearly $13
- 20.02.2018Brent crude price falls
- 20.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 20.02.2018Oil hits two-week high on share market recovery, Mideast tensions
- 19.02.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 19.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 19.02.2018Oil prices go up
- 16.02.2018Oil edges up on equities rebound and weak dollar
- 16.02.2018Gold price goes up more than $6
- 16.02.2018Oil prices go up
- 16.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 15.02.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 15.02.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 15.02.2018Gold price goes down more than $1
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price rises by 2%
- 15.02.2018Oil prices go up
- 15.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 14.02.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 14.02.2018Gold price goes up more than $6
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls by $1.1
- 14.02.2018Brent crude price goes up
- 14.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 13.02.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 13.02.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 13.02.2018Gold price goes up nearly $2
- 13.02.2018Oil prices rise
- 13.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 12.02.2018Oil prices rise
- 09.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 08.02.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 08.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls nearly $1
- 08.02.2018Gold price decreases more than $1
- 08.02.2018Oil price falls
- 08.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 07.02.2018USD rate for February 8 announced
- 07.02.2018Gold price increases about $2
- 07.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls
- 10.02.2018Oil price goes down more than 3%
- 10.02.2018Gold price decreases more than $3
- 12.02.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 09.02.2018Gold price goes up
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price falls by 2.3%
- 09.02.2018Oil price falls