Oil drops as market braces for more OPEC crude
Oil fell on Monday as investors prepared for an extra 1 million barrels per day (bpd) of oil to hit the markets after OPEC agreed to raise production and as U.S. equity markets slipped on trade war fears, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Brent crude futures LCOc1 fell $1.35 to $74.20 a barrel by 12:30 p.m. EDT (1630 GMT). U.S. light crude CLc1 retreated after an early rise to trade down 41 cents to $68.17 a barrel.
“The expectation that we’ll see more crude out of OPEC and that supplies in the U.S. will be tight because of the Syncrude outage… is going to keep the market on edge,” said Phil Flynn, analyst at Price Futures Group.
Losses in U.S. crude prices were limited by the likelihood that an outage at Syncrude Canada’s 360,000 barrel per day oil sands facility would last through July. The outage is expected to limit crude arriving at Cushing, Oklahoma, delivery point of the U.S. futures contract.
This helped further shrink U.S. crude’s discount to global benchmark Brent WTCLc1-LCOc1 to as small as $4.78. The spread had widened to as much as $11.57 on June 1, but had been contracting ahead of OPEC’s expected supply increase, analysts said.
The slide on Wall Street pressured oil, analysts said. All three major stock indexes were down on escalating U.S.-China trade tensions.
On Friday, the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies agreed to modestly boost global crude supplies.
The group, which has been curbing output since 2017, said it would raise supply by returning to 100 percent compliance with previously agreed output cuts, after months of underproduction.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 19.07.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 19.07.2018Gold price falls
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 19.07.2018Oil prices go down
- 19.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 18.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 18.07.2018Gold price falls
- 18.07.2018Oil prices go down
- 18.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 17.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price decreases
- 17.07.2018Armenia violates ceasefire with Azerbaijan 103 times
- 17.07.2018Gold price rises
- 17.07.2018Oil prices go up
- 17.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 17.07.2018Oil prices rise from three-month low as more Norwegian oil workers strike
- 16.07.2018Brent oil falls 4 percent to three-month low as supply outage concerns ease
- 16.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 16.07.2018Oil prices go down
- 16.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 13.07.2018USD rate for July 16 announced
- 12.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 12.07.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 12.07.2018US, European stocks fall
- 12.07.2018Oil prices go up
- 12.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 12.07.2018Crude oil benchmark Brent sees biggest one-day fall in two years
- 11.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price increases
- 11.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 10.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 10.07.2018USD rate at today's auction announced
- 10.07.2018Gold price falls
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani oil price increases
- 10.07.2018Oil prices go up
- 10.07.2018Official Exchange Rates
- 10.07.2018Oil prices gain on supply concerns in Iran, Libya, Canada
- 09.07.2018USD rate for tomorrow announced
- 15.12.2017Central Bank: Fed decision does not have a direct impact on manat
- 18.12.2017Official Exchange Rates
- 18.12.2017Oil prices rise
- 15.12.2017Central Bank of Azerbaijan to attract AZN 200M
- 15.12.2017US, European stocks descend
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani oil price goes up