Romanian and Belgian gas grid operators show interest in DESFA
Baku. Aqshin Rafiqoglu - APA-Economics. A few hours after the breakdown in talks between Athens and Azeri state company Socar concerning the acquisition of a 66 percent stake in DESFA by the latter, it became known that Greece’s gas grid operator has attracted the interest of its Romanian peer Transgaz, while the interest of Belgian operator Fluxys remains unchanged. This creates expectations for a successful new tender, according to the newspaper “Ekathimerini”.
At the same time Hellenic Petroleum is expected to reconsider its participation in DESFA, assessing the new conditions and growth prospects of the domestic natural gas market, and mainly the role that DESFA’s infrastructure can play combined with the operation of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (currently under construction) in the creation of a gas hub in the broader Southeastern European region.
Sources say that last week Transgaz officials visited DESFA’s co-owner Hellenic Petroleum as well as Energy Minister Giorgos Stathakis and expressed their interest in a stake in the Greek gas grid operator. The representatives of the Romanian company told the Greek side that they intend to pay a similar amount to what Socar had pledged (400 million euros), dubbing it reasonable and feasible. They added that they are already in talks with European banks which are ready to finance this Romanian investment in Greece.
It should be mentioned that SOCAR, HRADF and Hellenic Petroleum SA issued a press release on termination of tender on DESFA privatization.
SOCAR told APA-Economics that SOCAR, HRADF and Hellenic Petroleum SA decided not to extend the period for privatization of DESFA’s 66% share: “On June 21, 2013, HRADF declared SOCAR as the winner of tender on DESFA privatization. In the past two years, SOCAR worked to achieve confirmation of privatization by Greece and EU, fulfilment of relevant requirements and invitation of potential buyers to participate in DESFA”.
Moreover, SOCAR, SNAM and sellers held intensive talks to find an acceptable solution on the background of recent amendments to the legislation of Greece which affect DESFA’s financial situation and market value: “The negotiations were held friendly. Greek government and sellers always shared supportive and cooperative position regarding the agreement. However, the sides could not reach agreement on mutual acceptable commercial mechanism meeting interests of the investors and sellers. Consequently, on November 30, 2016, the tender was cancelled”.
SOCAR said the cancellation will not affect the future investments in the region and Greece.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Center for Agrarian Research to be established under Azerbaijan’s Agriculture Ministry
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijani president assigns AZN 5M for ameliorative measures in Nakhchivan
- 11.05.2018Food Safety Agency to control quality of grain products from July 1
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijan to reconsider increase of subsidy for per hectare of vineyards
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijan plans to quintuple wine export by 2025
- 03.05.2018Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of winemaking
- 02.05.2018New chairman appointed to Agrolizing - EXCLUSIVE
- 20.04.2018USD rate for April 23 announced
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijan increases meat import
- 13.04.2018Azerbaijan increases wheat import by 54%
- 02.04.2018AZN 45.3mln allocated for irrigation of winter pastures in Sabirabad and Salyan
- 26.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev: We restore cotton-growing in Azerbaijan
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed Barda farmer Musa Guliyev`s cotton plantation
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 21M to provide sowing areas with irrigation water
- 07.03.2018U.S., Azerbaijan help farmers make affordable animal feed in Imishli
- 02.03.2018President signs order on development of plant-growing
- 01.03.2018Gold price goes down
- 23.02.2018AZN 160M allocated for improved technical support to agrarian field
- 17.02.2018Minister: ‘Import of tea products causes huge currency flow from Azerbaijan’
- 17.02.2018Azerbaijan soon to start subsidy payouts to beekeepers
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 700,000 for supplying Jojug Marjanli’s sowing areas with irrigation water
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of citrus fruit-growing
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan to increase green tea leave harvest up to 8.5mln tons in 10 years
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of tea-growing
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of paddy growing
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani oil price rises
- 01.02.2018Restriction on imports of poultry products from Iran to Azerbaijan remains in effect
- 26.01.2018Properties of several ministries transferred to balance of Food Safety Agency
- 12.01.2018New bill on stimulating agricultural insurance to be tabled in Azerbaijani Parliament
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijan approves quota for fishing in 2018
- 28.12.2017Oil prices go up
- 25.12.2017Export of agricultural products from Azerbaijan to Russia increased by 60%
- 21.12.2017Group of individuals awarded for their distinguished service at agricultural development
- 20.12.2017Assistant to President: Agriculture less-developed than other fields
- 20.12.2017Assistant to President: Lack of knowledge cannot be compensated by increase of allocations from budget
- 04.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views works carried out in "Baku Agropark" in Zira settlement - UPDATED
- 27.11.2017Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of sericulture
- 09.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev: This year saw a record year in purchase of agricultural machinery
- 06.10.2017Azerbaijani president issues order on continuation of state support to development of sericulture
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev views vineyards in Shamakhi
- 05.12.2016Azerbaijan to export horse meat to Moldova
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan to exempt production and sale of flour and bread from VAT
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan bans import of poultry products from Russia
- 25.11.2016H5N8 virus does not infect humans – State Service
- 24.11.2016State Veterinary Control Service comments on import of fake eggs
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan bans import of poultry products from Iran