Romanian and Belgian gas grid operators show interest in DESFA
Baku. Aqshin Rafiqoglu - APA-Economics. A few hours after the breakdown in talks between Athens and Azeri state company Socar concerning the acquisition of a 66 percent stake in DESFA by the latter, it became known that Greece’s gas grid operator has attracted the interest of its Romanian peer Transgaz, while the interest of Belgian operator Fluxys remains unchanged. This creates expectations for a successful new tender, according to the newspaper “Ekathimerini”.
At the same time Hellenic Petroleum is expected to reconsider its participation in DESFA, assessing the new conditions and growth prospects of the domestic natural gas market, and mainly the role that DESFA’s infrastructure can play combined with the operation of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (currently under construction) in the creation of a gas hub in the broader Southeastern European region.
Sources say that last week Transgaz officials visited DESFA’s co-owner Hellenic Petroleum as well as Energy Minister Giorgos Stathakis and expressed their interest in a stake in the Greek gas grid operator. The representatives of the Romanian company told the Greek side that they intend to pay a similar amount to what Socar had pledged (400 million euros), dubbing it reasonable and feasible. They added that they are already in talks with European banks which are ready to finance this Romanian investment in Greece.
It should be mentioned that SOCAR, HRADF and Hellenic Petroleum SA issued a press release on termination of tender on DESFA privatization.
SOCAR told APA-Economics that SOCAR, HRADF and Hellenic Petroleum SA decided not to extend the period for privatization of DESFA’s 66% share: “On June 21, 2013, HRADF declared SOCAR as the winner of tender on DESFA privatization. In the past two years, SOCAR worked to achieve confirmation of privatization by Greece and EU, fulfilment of relevant requirements and invitation of potential buyers to participate in DESFA”.
Moreover, SOCAR, SNAM and sellers held intensive talks to find an acceptable solution on the background of recent amendments to the legislation of Greece which affect DESFA’s financial situation and market value: “The negotiations were held friendly. Greek government and sellers always shared supportive and cooperative position regarding the agreement. However, the sides could not reach agreement on mutual acceptable commercial mechanism meeting interests of the investors and sellers. Consequently, on November 30, 2016, the tender was cancelled”.
SOCAR said the cancellation will not affect the future investments in the region and Greece.
Related news releases
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani president signs order on development of tea, rice and citrus fruits production
- 03.09.2017Azerbaijani President: Conditions created in our districts prevent migration to large cities
- 03.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev: We increased our currency reserves by $3.6bn in 7 months
- 03.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference on development of tea, rice and citrus fruits production in Lankaran
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Gilan Orchards LLC`s citrus gardens in Lankaran
- 02.09.2017Azerbaijan President opens Khazar Palace hotel in Lankaran
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed rice paddies and opened rice plant in Lankaran
- 02.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates cereals and pulses cleaning and packing complex in Jalilabad
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended inauguration of Logistics Center of Shamkir Agropark
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of lemonade plant in Gadabay
- 20.08.2017Azerbaijani President: “With a new approach, we will achieve productivity growth in agriculture”
- 19.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Samukh Agroenergy Residential Complex
- 10.08.2017Azerbaijan to create labs to control quality of tobacco products
- 10.08.2017Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of tobacco growing
- 04.08.2017President: Domestic market should not depend on import for prevention of currency from leaving country
- 04.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev chairs republican conference in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views tobacco reception center in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President familiarizes with condition created in private hazelnut farm in Gakh
- 03.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev views tobacco processing plant in Zagatala
- 02.08.2017Georgia sold 11% of its peach exports to Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves state program on development of agricultural cooperation
- 13.07.2017Azerbaijani president approves State Program on development of cotton-growing
- 03.07.2017Azerbaijan Ministry of Emergency Situations announces procurement of high-quality grain for State Grain Fund
- 08.06.2017Agrarian trade turnover between Azerbaijan and EU amounts to $241M in 2016
- 05.06.2017AZN 10.5M allocated to Melioration and Water Economy OJSC
- 19.05.2017SOCAR reduces oil output nearly 2% year-on-year
- 19.05.2017AZN 4.5M allocated for development of sericulture
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan’s non-oil export increased 22% during past four months - president
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani president names products causing currency flow to Azerbaijan in 2016
- 17.04.2017President: Azerbaijan may create big fishing industry
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan to fully meet itself with main consumption goods in next 3-4 years – president
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector currently makes up 65% of economy – president
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Varvara fish hatchery
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani president issues order on development of agriculture
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani President signs a decree on stimulation of sugar beet production
- 29.03.2017Azerbaijan President: “There is a great need for vocational training in Azerbaijan”
- 28.03.2017President: 200,000 people to be employed in cottong-growing regions this year
- 28.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends conference on development of cotton-growing - UPDATED
- 28.03.2017Cotton-growing is very good for economy and brings currency to country – president
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijan spent and to spend millions of dollar for development of cotton-growing – president
- 05.12.2016Azerbaijan to export horse meat to Moldova
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan to exempt production and sale of flour and bread from VAT
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan bans import of poultry products from Russia
- 25.11.2016H5N8 virus does not infect humans – State Service
- 24.11.2016State Veterinary Control Service comments on import of fake eggs
- 24.11.2016Azerbaijan bans import of poultry products from Iran