Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
A panel session, entitled “The role of parliaments in building trust and understanding in cultures and communities”, was held as part of the World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, which is underway in Baku.
The panel was moderated by Chairman of the Azerbaijan Parliament’s Committee on international and inter-parliamentary relations Samad Seyidov.
He stressed the need for a new approach to the world’s growing problems.
“Xenophobia, islamophobia, anti-Semitism, and human trafficking have become commonplace. Is there something we can do? We need to take a global approach to the issue,” Seyidov noted.
Chairman of Djibouti’s Parliament Muhammad Ali Humad said his country is the junction of African and Arab cultures.
“We have turned into an island of stability. Intercultural dialogue is an indivisible part of our activities. Parliaments can play an irreplaceable role in establishing intercultural dialogue,” he stressed.
Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Parliament Radek Vondráček noted that parliaments take part in establishing intercultural ties.
“For example, the Czech parliament has relations with the Azerbaijani parliament. We should look for values that connect us. We can learn a lot from one another. Freedoms in international relations should be applied equally to everyone. However, I’m not in favor of some traditions being sold to other societies,” he added.
Deputy Speaker of Pakistan’s National Assembly Murtaza Javed Abbasi said that escalation of the disunity between the East and the West, and the intensifying clashes within societies affect the inter-parliamentary relations.
He stressed the need to create a sense of unity among various cultures and peoples.
“MPs from different countries can contribute to the intercultural dialogue firstly by establishing mutual relations. We should make efforts to ensure freedom, tolerance, intercultural and interreligious dialogue”, he added.
Zahida Parveen Manzoor, a member of the UK Parliament, recalled that his country is one of the main investors in Azerbaijan. “We are building bridges among cultures. Parliaments should play a key role in the construction of these bridges. Through dialogue, we can prevent escalation and violence. I am grateful to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev for his speech in the opening ceremony. President Ilham Aliyev seemed to read our thoughts”, she said.
Founder & President of the US-based Ethnic Understanding Foundation Rabbi Marc Schneier stressed that unfortunately, islamophobia is becoming widespread in the US, and attacks on mosques are increasing.
“Jewish representatives of the Congress are most concerned about it. The US president is willing to authorize a ban on Muslim migration. Jewish congressmen mostly oppose to it. The Congress has 45 congressmen,” he added.
Marc Schneier noted that Azerbaijan is a model in the Muslim world, and it is an excellent example of interreligious and interfaith relations.
“I’m promoting these values in the US. Azerbaijan is an exemplary country in this field. We, Americans, try to discover Azerbaijan’s civilization. Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev and your people have become a model for the world in terms of tolerance,” he added.
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 30.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov passes away
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 135th jubilee of prominent playwright Huseyn Javid
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges