Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
A panel session, entitled “The role of parliaments in building trust and understanding in cultures and communities”, was held as part of the World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, which is underway in Baku.
The panel was moderated by Chairman of the Azerbaijan Parliament’s Committee on international and inter-parliamentary relations Samad Seyidov.
He stressed the need for a new approach to the world’s growing problems.
“Xenophobia, islamophobia, anti-Semitism, and human trafficking have become commonplace. Is there something we can do? We need to take a global approach to the issue,” Seyidov noted.
Chairman of Djibouti’s Parliament Muhammad Ali Humad said his country is the junction of African and Arab cultures.
“We have turned into an island of stability. Intercultural dialogue is an indivisible part of our activities. Parliaments can play an irreplaceable role in establishing intercultural dialogue,” he stressed.
Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Parliament Radek Vondráček noted that parliaments take part in establishing intercultural ties.
“For example, the Czech parliament has relations with the Azerbaijani parliament. We should look for values that connect us. We can learn a lot from one another. Freedoms in international relations should be applied equally to everyone. However, I’m not in favor of some traditions being sold to other societies,” he added.
Deputy Speaker of Pakistan’s National Assembly Murtaza Javed Abbasi said that escalation of the disunity between the East and the West, and the intensifying clashes within societies affect the inter-parliamentary relations.
He stressed the need to create a sense of unity among various cultures and peoples.
“MPs from different countries can contribute to the intercultural dialogue firstly by establishing mutual relations. We should make efforts to ensure freedom, tolerance, intercultural and interreligious dialogue”, he added.
Zahida Parveen Manzoor, a member of the UK Parliament, recalled that his country is one of the main investors in Azerbaijan. “We are building bridges among cultures. Parliaments should play a key role in the construction of these bridges. Through dialogue, we can prevent escalation and violence. I am grateful to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev for his speech in the opening ceremony. President Ilham Aliyev seemed to read our thoughts”, she said.
Founder & President of the US-based Ethnic Understanding Foundation Rabbi Marc Schneier stressed that unfortunately, islamophobia is becoming widespread in the US, and attacks on mosques are increasing.
“Jewish representatives of the Congress are most concerned about it. The US president is willing to authorize a ban on Muslim migration. Jewish congressmen mostly oppose to it. The Congress has 45 congressmen,” he added.
Marc Schneier noted that Azerbaijan is a model in the Muslim world, and it is an excellent example of interreligious and interfaith relations.
“I’m promoting these values in the US. Azerbaijan is an exemplary country in this field. We, Americans, try to discover Azerbaijan’s civilization. Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev and your people have become a model for the world in terms of tolerance,” he added.
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 11.07.2017Advisory body refuses to add Shaki Khans’ Palace to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges