Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
A panel session, entitled “The role of parliaments in building trust and understanding in cultures and communities”, was held as part of the World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue, which is underway in Baku.
The panel was moderated by Chairman of the Azerbaijan Parliament’s Committee on international and inter-parliamentary relations Samad Seyidov.
He stressed the need for a new approach to the world’s growing problems.
“Xenophobia, islamophobia, anti-Semitism, and human trafficking have become commonplace. Is there something we can do? We need to take a global approach to the issue,” Seyidov noted.
Chairman of Djibouti’s Parliament Muhammad Ali Humad said his country is the junction of African and Arab cultures.
“We have turned into an island of stability. Intercultural dialogue is an indivisible part of our activities. Parliaments can play an irreplaceable role in establishing intercultural dialogue,” he stressed.
Vice-President of the Chamber of Deputies of the Czech Parliament Radek Vondráček noted that parliaments take part in establishing intercultural ties.
“For example, the Czech parliament has relations with the Azerbaijani parliament. We should look for values that connect us. We can learn a lot from one another. Freedoms in international relations should be applied equally to everyone. However, I’m not in favor of some traditions being sold to other societies,” he added.
Deputy Speaker of Pakistan’s National Assembly Murtaza Javed Abbasi said that escalation of the disunity between the East and the West, and the intensifying clashes within societies affect the inter-parliamentary relations.
He stressed the need to create a sense of unity among various cultures and peoples.
“MPs from different countries can contribute to the intercultural dialogue firstly by establishing mutual relations. We should make efforts to ensure freedom, tolerance, intercultural and interreligious dialogue”, he added.
Zahida Parveen Manzoor, a member of the UK Parliament, recalled that his country is one of the main investors in Azerbaijan. “We are building bridges among cultures. Parliaments should play a key role in the construction of these bridges. Through dialogue, we can prevent escalation and violence. I am grateful to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev for his speech in the opening ceremony. President Ilham Aliyev seemed to read our thoughts”, she said.
Founder & President of the US-based Ethnic Understanding Foundation Rabbi Marc Schneier stressed that unfortunately, islamophobia is becoming widespread in the US, and attacks on mosques are increasing.
“Jewish representatives of the Congress are most concerned about it. The US president is willing to authorize a ban on Muslim migration. Jewish congressmen mostly oppose to it. The Congress has 45 congressmen,” he added.
Marc Schneier noted that Azerbaijan is a model in the Muslim world, and it is an excellent example of interreligious and interfaith relations.
“I’m promoting these values in the US. Azerbaijan is an exemplary country in this field. We, Americans, try to discover Azerbaijan’s civilization. Azerbaijan, President Ilham Aliyev and your people have become a model for the world in terms of tolerance,” he added.
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan to mark Azad Mirzejanzade’s 90th birthday
- 05.07.2018Sumgayit State Drama Theatre to mark 50th anniversary
- 05.07.2018Tamara Sinyavskaya awarded “Sharaf” Order
- 04.07.2018Azerbaijan to host 43rd session of UNESCO World Heritage Committee
- 28.06.2018New appointments at Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture
- 27.06.2018Azerbaijan names two deputy ministers of culture
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan elected to one of UNESCO’s most important bodies
- 25.05.2018Press conference on documentary “The Last Session” held in Baku
- 21.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Friendship Order to Anna Netrebko
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan names first deputy minister of culture
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on several museum employees
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan’s President awards art workers with presidential awards
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards cultural figures with presidential personal pension
- 01.05.2018Original portraits of Shah Ismail and son to be exhibited in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2018‘Ali and Nino’ play to be premiered in Georgia
- 26.04.2018British Film Springs to life in Baku
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges