Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
Today UNESCO, like the whole world community, is experiencing certain difficulties on the way towards its goals, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Russia Polad Bulbuloglu said in an interview to Rossiyskaya Gazeta, APA reported.
The Azerbaijani government earlier nominated Bulbuloglu for the post of UNESCO director-general.
Among the nominees are Polad Bulbuloglu (Azerbaijan), Hamad Bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari (Qatar), Salih Al-Hasnawi (Iraq), Moushira Khattab (Egypt), Vera El Khoury Lacoeuilhe (Lebanon), Pham Suan Shon (Vietnam), Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria (Guatemala) and Audrey Azoulay (France).
“It came as a surprise to me to hear news that the Azerbaijani government nominated me for the post of UNESCO director-general. At the same time, this nomination set me clear goals for the dissemination at the global level of Azerbaijan’s positive experience in the sphere of humanitarian cooperation,” said the diplomat.
“Today UNESCO, like the whole world community, is experiencing certain difficulties on the way towards its goals,” said Bulbuloglu, noting that there is a clear deficit of financial resources.
He stressed the need for a well-thought-out and planned work to optimize the activities of UNESCO.
The ambassador said Azerbaijan pays great attention to the preservation of historical monuments. He recalled that two monuments in Azerbaijan have already been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
“If we look into the processes in the area of protecting the legacy handed down to us from our ancestors, we can see the impact of economic development in the preservation and development of our culture. I think this beneficial experience may be required on a global scale, too," he added.
As for priorities, Bulbuloglu stressed that the main goal is to minimize the political struggle in UNESCO.
"There are enough formats for conflicts. UNESCO's aim is to achieve peace by working in the humanitarian area and adapting the organization to the current crisis. I am ready to work in this direction. I hope that there will be something for us to be proud of along with our partners at the end of this path," he added.
Related news releases
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 30.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov passes away
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 135th jubilee of prominent playwright Huseyn Javid
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 11.07.2017Advisory body refuses to add Shaki Khans’ Palace to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures