Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
Today UNESCO, like the whole world community, is experiencing certain difficulties on the way towards its goals, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Russia Polad Bulbuloglu said in an interview to Rossiyskaya Gazeta, APA reported.
The Azerbaijani government earlier nominated Bulbuloglu for the post of UNESCO director-general.
Among the nominees are Polad Bulbuloglu (Azerbaijan), Hamad Bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari (Qatar), Salih Al-Hasnawi (Iraq), Moushira Khattab (Egypt), Vera El Khoury Lacoeuilhe (Lebanon), Pham Suan Shon (Vietnam), Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria (Guatemala) and Audrey Azoulay (France).
“It came as a surprise to me to hear news that the Azerbaijani government nominated me for the post of UNESCO director-general. At the same time, this nomination set me clear goals for the dissemination at the global level of Azerbaijan’s positive experience in the sphere of humanitarian cooperation,” said the diplomat.
“Today UNESCO, like the whole world community, is experiencing certain difficulties on the way towards its goals,” said Bulbuloglu, noting that there is a clear deficit of financial resources.
He stressed the need for a well-thought-out and planned work to optimize the activities of UNESCO.
The ambassador said Azerbaijan pays great attention to the preservation of historical monuments. He recalled that two monuments in Azerbaijan have already been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
“If we look into the processes in the area of protecting the legacy handed down to us from our ancestors, we can see the impact of economic development in the preservation and development of our culture. I think this beneficial experience may be required on a global scale, too," he added.
As for priorities, Bulbuloglu stressed that the main goal is to minimize the political struggle in UNESCO.
"There are enough formats for conflicts. UNESCO's aim is to achieve peace by working in the humanitarian area and adapting the organization to the current crisis. I am ready to work in this direction. I hope that there will be something for us to be proud of along with our partners at the end of this path," he added.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 07.11.20164th Int’l Theatre Conference kicks off in Baku
- 31.10.2016American rock band to give concerts in Azerbaijan
- 25.10.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host exhibition by renowned Mexican sculptor
- 22.10.2016Screening of documentary "Young voices, Ancient Song" held in Baku
- 21.10.2016“Karabakh traditional clothes” book catalog presented in Baku
- 20.10.2016Map provocation by Armenians prevented at Frankfurt Book Fair
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Music Center in Aghstafa
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens new building of Museum of History and Local Lore
- 04.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to world-renowned singer Rashid Behbudov - UPDATED
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views Sumgayit State Drama Theatre
- 22.09.2016Emotional Khojaly 613 tone poem received in rapt silence during closing of Mulhouse festival
- 21.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Mingachevir City Museum of History
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft laws on inscriptions, intangible cultural heritage
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi’s Khamsa published in Uzbek
- 14.09.2016Amina Yusif gizi honored with Shohrat order
- 05.09.2016‘Azerbaijani Movie Night’ series launched in Los Angeles
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani president signs order on 200th anniversary of establishment of German settlements in South Caucasus
- 05.08.2016Iran to hold Azerbaijani culture days
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures