Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
Today UNESCO, like the whole world community, is experiencing certain difficulties on the way towards its goals, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Russia Polad Bulbuloglu said in an interview to Rossiyskaya Gazeta, APA reported.
The Azerbaijani government earlier nominated Bulbuloglu for the post of UNESCO director-general.
Among the nominees are Polad Bulbuloglu (Azerbaijan), Hamad Bin Abdulaziz Al-Kawari (Qatar), Salih Al-Hasnawi (Iraq), Moushira Khattab (Egypt), Vera El Khoury Lacoeuilhe (Lebanon), Pham Suan Shon (Vietnam), Juan Alfonso Fuentes Soria (Guatemala) and Audrey Azoulay (France).
“It came as a surprise to me to hear news that the Azerbaijani government nominated me for the post of UNESCO director-general. At the same time, this nomination set me clear goals for the dissemination at the global level of Azerbaijan’s positive experience in the sphere of humanitarian cooperation,” said the diplomat.
“Today UNESCO, like the whole world community, is experiencing certain difficulties on the way towards its goals,” said Bulbuloglu, noting that there is a clear deficit of financial resources.
He stressed the need for a well-thought-out and planned work to optimize the activities of UNESCO.
The ambassador said Azerbaijan pays great attention to the preservation of historical monuments. He recalled that two monuments in Azerbaijan have already been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
“If we look into the processes in the area of protecting the legacy handed down to us from our ancestors, we can see the impact of economic development in the preservation and development of our culture. I think this beneficial experience may be required on a global scale, too," he added.
As for priorities, Bulbuloglu stressed that the main goal is to minimize the political struggle in UNESCO.
"There are enough formats for conflicts. UNESCO's aim is to achieve peace by working in the humanitarian area and adapting the organization to the current crisis. I am ready to work in this direction. I hope that there will be something for us to be proud of along with our partners at the end of this path," he added.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018Press conference on documentary “The Last Session” held in Baku
- 21.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Friendship Order to Anna Netrebko
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan names first deputy minister of culture
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on several museum employees
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan’s President awards art workers with presidential awards
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards cultural figures with presidential personal pension
- 01.05.2018Original portraits of Shah Ismail and son to be exhibited in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2018‘Ali and Nino’ play to be premiered in Georgia
- 26.04.2018British Film Springs to life in Baku
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures