Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
The fourth meeting of the Ministers of Culture and Tourism was held Saturday wthin the framework of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue.
The meeting was joined by more than 40 ministers and deputy ministers of Turkey, Russia, Iraq and other countries, heads of international organizations, and representatives of diplomatic corps, APA reports.
Minister of Culture and Tourism Abulfas Garayev said that the meeting is a good opportunity in terms of providing information about humanitarian projects implemented as a result of the efforts of the Azerbaijani leadership. According to him, cooperation between international structures can establish a safer world.
In the opinion of UN High Representative for the Alliance of Civilizations Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, the forum plays an important role in strengthening the dialogue between peoples and states, finding innovative solutions to the problem of violent extremism, and ensuring human security.
"This is the only way to security and peace. Now everyone is calling for peace. Peace and dialogue are interrelated. The resolution of conflicts is important from the point of view of long-term development," he said.
UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova noted that there is no alternative to multipolarism. Stressing the importance of sustainable development to unite representatives of culture and religions, the general director said that political leaders have already started using "soft power".
Mr. Taleb Rifai, Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), said that tourism is a distributor of cultural heritage. "Tourism can play a big role in the preservation of cultural heritage. If there is good governance, tourism can contribute to the maintenance of peace and security,” he said.
Minister of Culture and Tourism of Turkey Nabi Avcı stressed the importance of using intercultural dialogue at ministerial meetings. In his view, the relationship between culture and tourism will facilitate contacts between countries and will strengthen the fight against extremism.
Minister of Culture of the Russian Federation Vladimir Medinsky made a presentation of several cultural monuments of his country. According to the minister, only thanks to joint efforts is it possible to restore the Syrian city of Palmyra, which was destroyed by terrorists.
Minister of Culture of Iraq Faryad Raundozi spoke about the damage caused to cultural monuments in the country by terrorists.
"Up to 15,000 artifacts were transported away from Iraq. 254 manuscripts were burned in Mosul. Unfortunately, a number of countries are supporting terrorists,” he said.
The event continued with discussions.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 11.07.2017Advisory body refuses to add Shaki Khans’ Palace to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination