Lahij’s copper craftsmanship included in UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
According to information, the Namibian capital city of Windhoek is currently hosting the 10th session of the UNESCO Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The review of nominations put forth by countries for their inclusion in the representative list of intangible cultural heritage began on December 1, said the ministry.
“During the discussions at the Committee meeting, it was noted that Lahij’s copper craftsmanship nominated by Azerbaijan meets all criteria of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, and it can be used as an example for other countries’ nominations in the future,” the ministry noted.
Addressing the meeting, Vasif Eyvazzade, head of the international cooperation department at the Azerbaijani Ministry of Culture and Tourism, expressed his gratitude to the members of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage and the Evaluation Body.
He mentioned that inscription of Lahij’s copper craftsmanship on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity is an assessment of cultural values of the Azerbaijani people and will contribute to the preservation of craftsmanship and improvement of social and economic welfare of Lahij residents.
“Copper craftsmanship of Lahij” file was prepared and presented to UNESCO with the support of President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, UNESCO and ISESCO Goodwill Ambassador Mrs. Mehriban Aliyeva, and joint collaboration of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Permanent Delegation of Azerbaijan to UNESCO and related experts.
UNESCO’s Heritage list includes the Novruz holiday, Azerbaijani mugham, Azerbaijani ashig art, the Azerbaijani carpet, traditional Kalagayi headwear and national musical instrument “tar.” Azerbaijan's Chovkan, traditional Karabakh horse-riding game was also included in UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 30.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov passes away
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 135th jubilee of prominent playwright Huseyn Javid
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 02.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev visits Bakutel 2015 exhibition
- 14.12.2015Eros Ramazotti to give concert in Baku
- 17.12.2015Baku hosts press conference ‘Lavash, common heritage of Turks”
- 02.12.2015UNESCO disapproves Armenia’s presentation of ‘Kocheri, traditional group dance’
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan assumes chairmanship of ISESCO General Conference
- 26.11.2015Abdulaziz Othman Altwaijri reelected ISESCO Director General