Lahij’s copper craftsmanship included in UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
According to information, the Namibian capital city of Windhoek is currently hosting the 10th session of the UNESCO Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The review of nominations put forth by countries for their inclusion in the representative list of intangible cultural heritage began on December 1, said the ministry.
“During the discussions at the Committee meeting, it was noted that Lahij’s copper craftsmanship nominated by Azerbaijan meets all criteria of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, and it can be used as an example for other countries’ nominations in the future,” the ministry noted.
Addressing the meeting, Vasif Eyvazzade, head of the international cooperation department at the Azerbaijani Ministry of Culture and Tourism, expressed his gratitude to the members of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage and the Evaluation Body.
He mentioned that inscription of Lahij’s copper craftsmanship on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity is an assessment of cultural values of the Azerbaijani people and will contribute to the preservation of craftsmanship and improvement of social and economic welfare of Lahij residents.
“Copper craftsmanship of Lahij” file was prepared and presented to UNESCO with the support of President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, UNESCO and ISESCO Goodwill Ambassador Mrs. Mehriban Aliyeva, and joint collaboration of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Permanent Delegation of Azerbaijan to UNESCO and related experts.
UNESCO’s Heritage list includes the Novruz holiday, Azerbaijani mugham, Azerbaijani ashig art, the Azerbaijani carpet, traditional Kalagayi headwear and national musical instrument “tar.” Azerbaijan's Chovkan, traditional Karabakh horse-riding game was also included in UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 07.11.20164th Int’l Theatre Conference kicks off in Baku
- 31.10.2016American rock band to give concerts in Azerbaijan
- 25.10.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host exhibition by renowned Mexican sculptor
- 22.10.2016Screening of documentary "Young voices, Ancient Song" held in Baku
- 21.10.2016“Karabakh traditional clothes” book catalog presented in Baku
- 20.10.2016Map provocation by Armenians prevented at Frankfurt Book Fair
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Music Center in Aghstafa
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens new building of Museum of History and Local Lore
- 04.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to world-renowned singer Rashid Behbudov - UPDATED
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views Sumgayit State Drama Theatre
- 22.09.2016Emotional Khojaly 613 tone poem received in rapt silence during closing of Mulhouse festival
- 21.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Mingachevir City Museum of History
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft laws on inscriptions, intangible cultural heritage
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi’s Khamsa published in Uzbek
- 14.09.2016Amina Yusif gizi honored with Shohrat order
- 02.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev visits Bakutel 2015 exhibition
- 14.12.2015Eros Ramazotti to give concert in Baku
- 17.12.2015Baku hosts press conference ‘Lavash, common heritage of Turks”
- 02.12.2015UNESCO disapproves Armenia’s presentation of ‘Kocheri, traditional group dance’
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan assumes chairmanship of ISESCO General Conference
- 26.11.2015Abdulaziz Othman Altwaijri reelected ISESCO Director General