Lahij’s copper craftsmanship included in UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
According to information, the Namibian capital city of Windhoek is currently hosting the 10th session of the UNESCO Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.
The review of nominations put forth by countries for their inclusion in the representative list of intangible cultural heritage began on December 1, said the ministry.
“During the discussions at the Committee meeting, it was noted that Lahij’s copper craftsmanship nominated by Azerbaijan meets all criteria of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, and it can be used as an example for other countries’ nominations in the future,” the ministry noted.
Addressing the meeting, Vasif Eyvazzade, head of the international cooperation department at the Azerbaijani Ministry of Culture and Tourism, expressed his gratitude to the members of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage and the Evaluation Body.
He mentioned that inscription of Lahij’s copper craftsmanship on the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity is an assessment of cultural values of the Azerbaijani people and will contribute to the preservation of craftsmanship and improvement of social and economic welfare of Lahij residents.
“Copper craftsmanship of Lahij” file was prepared and presented to UNESCO with the support of President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, UNESCO and ISESCO Goodwill Ambassador Mrs. Mehriban Aliyeva, and joint collaboration of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Permanent Delegation of Azerbaijan to UNESCO and related experts.
UNESCO’s Heritage list includes the Novruz holiday, Azerbaijani mugham, Azerbaijani ashig art, the Azerbaijani carpet, traditional Kalagayi headwear and national musical instrument “tar.” Azerbaijan's Chovkan, traditional Karabakh horse-riding game was also included in UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding.
Related news releases
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 11.07.2017Advisory body refuses to add Shaki Khans’ Palace to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 02.12.2015President Ilham Aliyev visits Bakutel 2015 exhibition
- 14.12.2015Eros Ramazotti to give concert in Baku
- 17.12.2015Baku hosts press conference ‘Lavash, common heritage of Turks”
- 02.12.2015UNESCO disapproves Armenia’s presentation of ‘Kocheri, traditional group dance’
- 26.11.2015Azerbaijan assumes chairmanship of ISESCO General Conference
- 26.11.2015Abdulaziz Othman Altwaijri reelected ISESCO Director General