Isfar Sarabski Trio headlines the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris - PHOTO
Baku – APA. Six months to the day since his acclaimed concert at the Duc des Lombards club in December, the Isfar Sarabski Trio made a triumphant return to Paris on 16 May as a part of the famous Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris, performing before a wildly appreciative audience of over 300. Now in its 14th edition, the festival is one of the staple fixtures of the Parisian jazz calendar, and audiences comprise critics, musicians and fans alike. Performing a rich blend of music, most of which were Isfar’s own compositions, this concert was supported by The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS). It took place at the Maison des Cultures du Monde cultural centre, which focuses on cultural exchange and the maintenance of cultural diversity, TEAS told APA.
In recent years, Isfar has won numerous awards, including that of the Jazz Solo Piano Prize at the Montreux International Jazz Festival in 2009 when he was aged only 19 years. He is also an Honoured Artist of the Azerbaijani Republic. Performing in the standard trio setting with Makar Novikov (bass) and Alexander Mashin (drums) he performs in a post-bop jazz style, mixed with mugham, the traditional music of his homeland.
Isfar’s programme began with a dreamlike introduction to his Déjà vu, which picked up tempo with the introduction of Alexander Mashin’s drumming. The trio has been playing together for some years, and this was evident when hearing the interplay between Isfar and the innovative Alexander. This piece – as with many on the programme – demonstrated Isfar’s exciting and percussive style. On the other hand, Transit to New York was a more contemplative piece, this time showcasing the talents of bassist Makar Novikov. Isfar’s delicate piano solo went on to elicit a call of ‘magnifique’ from members of the audience.
After a solo introduction that alluded to the magical aspects of the ballet, Isfar’s next solo went on to develop into the Dance of the Cygnets from Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake Ballet. Taking this as a point of departure, the tempo gradually picked up and, spurred by the enthusiastic audience, Isfar began to improvise wildly, his dizzying fingers becoming a blur.
Isfar is classically-trained, and his Prélude began with an obvious homage to J.S. Bach, before developing into a funky riff that led the audience into spirited clapping on the beat. This also gave Alexander Mashin chance to demonstrate the full range of his techniques. After wild applause, Isfar’s trio returned to the stage for an encore of his Novruz, which incorporated the eastern harmonies of his homeland.
Isfar’s set was followed by the popular French BFG (Bex Ferris Goubert) Hammond organ-led trio, which wowed the audience with a rich and energetic blend of funky improvisation.
Jazz has retained a longstanding popularity in Azerbaijan, not least due to the fact that its improvised nature has some similarities to Azerbaijani mugham. Isfar regularly performs in the Baku Jazz Centre, which hosts concerts every evening, and at the Baku International Jazz Festival, which has hosted a range of international and Azerbaijani performers, including Billy Cobham, Joe Zawinul and Herbie Hancock.
- 25.05.2018Press conference on documentary “The Last Session” held in Baku
- 21.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Friendship Order to Anna Netrebko
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan names first deputy minister of culture
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on several museum employees
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan’s President awards art workers with presidential awards
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards cultural figures with presidential personal pension
- 01.05.2018Original portraits of Shah Ismail and son to be exhibited in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2018‘Ali and Nino’ play to be premiered in Georgia
- 26.04.2018British Film Springs to life in Baku
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 22.05.2014Azerbaijan to host Days of Egyptian Culture on June 1-6
- 22.05.2014Ukrainian pavilion at Cannes Film Festival expanded due to majority of audience thanks to Azerbaijani pavilion
- 30.05.2014EuroVillage to be launched in Icheri Sheher tomorrow
- 13.05.2014Turkish Sabah newspaper publishes refutation regarding “Chirpinirdin Gara Deniz” song
- 24.04.2014Baku hosts international conference “Armenian issue in modern Azerbaijani and Turkish literatures”
- 13.03.2014International Novruz festival to be held in Baku