Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
Ganja, has hosted a ceremony as the city is assuming its new role as a Cultural Capital of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) 2017.
Head of Ganja City Executive Authority Elmar Valiyev opened the ceremony and said he is pleased to see the visitors in the homeland of a great Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi, APA’s western bureau reports.
Valiyev said Ganja has ancient history and culture, and it deserves to be cultural capital of the CIS.
Chair of the Intergovernmental Foundation for Humanitarian Cooperation of Member States of CIS, Russian President's special envoy for international cultural cooperation Mikhail Shvidkoy said that though Ganja was mainly known as an industrial center in the USSR, its history, science and art have been constantly developing.
Mentioning Nizami Ganjavi, he said that this contribution to the world is enough for the city’s becoming a cultural capital. Shvidkoy added that Ganja deserves to be not only a cultural capital of the CIS, but also the world.
Deputy director of Department for Humanitarian Cooperation, Political and Social Problems of the Executive Committee of the CIS Amonzhan Eshonkulov conveyed his congratulations and noted that various cities are assuming this status from 2011. He noted that Ganja is a modern developing city preserving its old traditions. Eshonkulov also stressed that Ganja is situated on the ancient Silk Road and its caret and silk are world-known.
Thereafter, a presentation of Certificate of Cultural Capital of the CIS 2017 was held. The certificate was presented to head of Ganja City Executive Power Elmar Valiyev.
MP Parvin Karimzade, Academician-Secretary of ANAS Ganja Department, Academician Fuad Aliyev spoke about scientific, educational and well-known figures of Ganja. It was noted that Ganja hosted several international projects and distinguished in successfully realization of these projects.
At the end, a group of sportsmen were awarded for successes in sport in 2016.
After opening of the project, the guests attended the event held in Heydar Aliyev Park Complex on the occasion of Nowruz Holiday.
In the second half of the day, a concert devoted to official opening of “Ganja-2017 CIS Cultural Capital” international project will be held.
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 07.11.20164th Int’l Theatre Conference kicks off in Baku
- 31.10.2016American rock band to give concerts in Azerbaijan
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality