Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
Ganja, has hosted a ceremony as the city is assuming its new role as a Cultural Capital of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) 2017.
Head of Ganja City Executive Authority Elmar Valiyev opened the ceremony and said he is pleased to see the visitors in the homeland of a great Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi, APA’s western bureau reports.
Valiyev said Ganja has ancient history and culture, and it deserves to be cultural capital of the CIS.
Chair of the Intergovernmental Foundation for Humanitarian Cooperation of Member States of CIS, Russian President's special envoy for international cultural cooperation Mikhail Shvidkoy said that though Ganja was mainly known as an industrial center in the USSR, its history, science and art have been constantly developing.
Mentioning Nizami Ganjavi, he said that this contribution to the world is enough for the city’s becoming a cultural capital. Shvidkoy added that Ganja deserves to be not only a cultural capital of the CIS, but also the world.
Deputy director of Department for Humanitarian Cooperation, Political and Social Problems of the Executive Committee of the CIS Amonzhan Eshonkulov conveyed his congratulations and noted that various cities are assuming this status from 2011. He noted that Ganja is a modern developing city preserving its old traditions. Eshonkulov also stressed that Ganja is situated on the ancient Silk Road and its caret and silk are world-known.
Thereafter, a presentation of Certificate of Cultural Capital of the CIS 2017 was held. The certificate was presented to head of Ganja City Executive Power Elmar Valiyev.
MP Parvin Karimzade, Academician-Secretary of ANAS Ganja Department, Academician Fuad Aliyev spoke about scientific, educational and well-known figures of Ganja. It was noted that Ganja hosted several international projects and distinguished in successfully realization of these projects.
At the end, a group of sportsmen were awarded for successes in sport in 2016.
After opening of the project, the guests attended the event held in Heydar Aliyev Park Complex on the occasion of Nowruz Holiday.
In the second half of the day, a concert devoted to official opening of “Ganja-2017 CIS Cultural Capital” international project will be held.
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 30.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov passes away
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 135th jubilee of prominent playwright Huseyn Javid
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 11.07.2017Advisory body refuses to add Shaki Khans’ Palace to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality