Emil Afrasiyab headlines the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés - PHOTO
Baku – APA. Leading Azerbaijani jazz pianist Emil Afrasiyab has dazzled 380 jazz aficionados in Paris with his dexterity and innovation on the second night of the prestigious 15th Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés. On 29 May, the audience included H.E. Elchin Amirbayov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to France; bass guitarist Kyle Eastwood, son of legendary film star Clint; author Michel Contat, a leading literary and jazz critic; and Alain Kassimatis, the renowned jazz producer. The French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) sponsored the concert, having done so at the previous edition of the festival, when the spotlight was directed towards pianist Isfar Sarabski, TEAS told APA.
Born in Baku in 1982, Emil is a major artist amongst the new generation of Azerbaijani jazz performers. He specializes in the synthesis of jazz with Azerbaijani mugham, both of which feature a high degree of improvisation and provide great scope for personal expression. His work is notable for its contrasts in intonation, and fluctuating harmonics and rhythms, more commonly found in classical music.
The set began with Emil’s self-penned Two Worlds. After a delicate and rhapsodic solo introduction, Emil increased the tempo, running up and down the piano keyboard, his music incorporating the Eastern harmonies and microtones found in mugham, being carried along by the propulsive polyrhythmic drumming of Raphaël Pannier. The improvisations even included a brief nod to J.S. Bach and his Air on the G String.
This was followed by a version of Azerbaijani jazz-mugham pioneer Vagif Mustafzadeh’s March, which included Alexandre Madeline on tenor saxophone. This began with Emil’s rhapsodic introduction, after which Coltrane disciple Alexandre gave an exploration of the main theme prior to its deconstruction. Emil and Raphaël then took up the challenge, daring each other on to more tangential improvisations. Emil held the transfixed audience in reverent silence following his delicate conclusion to the piece.
Emil then performed Aziza, his own composition, dedicated to Vagif Mustafazadeh’s daughter of the same name, who is renowned as a jazz singer/pianist in her own right. The tempo of this piece gradually speeded to dizzying levels, and provided Raphaël with the chance to demonstrate his full range of percussive techniques. Emil regards all musicians in his quartet as equals, his piano remaining silent as Raphaël and bass guitarist Antoine Katz coaxed each other into new, unchartered waters of improvisation. Emil then returned, upping the tempo to an exciting and devastating level. As he wiped the perspiration from his brow, the rapturous audience shouted “Bravo”, hoping for another piece.
They were rewarded with variations on the main theme of the Azerbaijani traditional dance Shalakho, written in the challenging time signature of 6/8. This saw Alexandre’s saxophone take on the role of the traditional balaban flute, before wildly entering the realms of free jazz and call-and-response dialogue with the percussion of Raphaël.
Initially, Emil’s pianistic skills were solely heard in the borders of his home country. However, this changed in 2011, when he received the Public Prize at the Montreux Jazz Festival, and in 2012 he went to study performance and composition at the Berklee College of Music in the US, where he now resides.
The second half of the concert comprised a performance by the septuagenarian jazz-rock pioneer Aldo Romano and the other members of his trio.
The concert came in the middle of a three-date French festival tour by Emil’s quartet that began on 27 May with a performance at the inaugural Sunnyside Festival in Reims, attended by around 150 people, including Pascal Labelle, Deputy Mayor of Reims in charge of Culture and Ayaz Gojayev, Cultural Advisor to the Azerbaijani Embassy in France. The tour will conclude on 7 September with the opening concert of the Colmar Jazz Festival.
To see and hear Emil performing Aziza at the 2013 Baku International Jazz Festival, go to http://bit.ly/emilaziza.
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 30.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov passes away
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 135th jubilee of prominent playwright Huseyn Javid
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 05.06.2015Azerbaijani Ministry of Culture and Tourism appeals to citizens traveling to foreign countries
- 08.06.2015President Ilham Aliyev reviewed Stone Annals Museum - PHOTO
- 08.06.2015President Ilham Aliyev reviewed the first permanent place of YARAT Contemporary Art Center
- 01.06.2015Azerbaijani Copyright Agency issues statement on Armenian attempt to appropriate folk dance “Kocheri”
- 29.05.2015Landmark book on Soviet-era Baku launched in London - PHOTOSESSION
- 29.05.2015Ukrainian MP performs popular Azerbaijani song