Elchin Shirinov brings the spirit of Azerbaijan to the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris - PHOTOSESSION
Baku-APA. Internationally acclaimed Azerbaijani pianist Elchin Shirinov brought his unique approach to ethno-jazz to the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris – one of the leading European jazz festivals – on 27 may, The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) told APA.
His trio performed in front of over 200 Parisian music aficionados, critics and H.E. Elchin Amirbayov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to France. The French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) sponsored the involvement of the trio, which came in the wake of the participation by Azerbaijani artists in two previous editions of the festival.
Frédéric Charbaut, Jazz Broadcaster and Co-founder of the Festival, opened the evening saying: “This is the third successive year that I have the pleasure to announce a band led by an Azerbaijani musician. In previous editions of the festival, the support of TEAS has enabled audiences to hear some excellent bands led by Azerbaijani musicians, the first of which was the Isfar Sarabski Trio. The leader has now become internationally famous. Last year we saw the participation of Emil Afrasiyab and his Quartet. I am now fortunate to introduce Elchin Shirinov, a new pianist for the festival.”
Shirinov – who comes from the Azerbaijani folk tradition – belongs to the new generation of Azerbaijani jazz musicians who combine elements of post-bop jazz, blues and funk with the modes, melodies and microtones of Azerbaijani folk and classical music. Although fundamentally different to jazz, mugham – the national music of Azerbaijan – is notable for a high level of improvisation. Throughout, Shirinov’s mellifluous extemporisations and pianistic pyrotechnics entranced the jazz cognoscenti in the crowd, particularly in his variations around the folksong Gul Achdi. He went on to give a very individual interpretation of two of the most popular Azerbaijani folksongs Sari Gelin and Durna; and included his reflective self-penned compositions Waiting and Muse in his set, many of which featured the sound of the Melodica, a wind-operated keyboard that makes an accordion-like sound, which he balanced on top of the grand piano.
Shirinov has formerly played with Rain Sultanov, who remains one of the foremost Azerbaijani tenor saxophonists, and has also performed alongside many of the visiting international jazz musicians participating in the annual Baku International Jazz Festival. This multifarious experience has stood him good stead, and the evening saw him team up with Linley Marthe, who previously played with fusion pioneer and Weather Report group founder Joe Zawinul, and the inspired American drummer Eric Harland, who has played with the free jazz figurehead Charles Lloyd.
The rapturous response bore testament to American pianist Brad Mehldau’s testimonial: “Elchin has a really good sense of how to orchestrate for the trio setting. In particular, he finds a distinct place for the piano and the bass in the music – he doesn’t play any extraneous stuff that the bass is already doing.” Harland’s polyrhythmic drumming technique clearly excited the audience, and he reveled in the chance to play in different meters due to the variable and unusual time signatures in Azerbaijani music. The interplay between the men was most intuitive and Harland demonstrated great sensitivity, unleashing his musical power whenever relevant.
The set by the Elchin Shirinov Trio was followed by a fusion set by leading French clarinetist Michel Portal, American drummer Jeff Ballard and American bass exponent Kevin Hays, who has given Shirinov tuition and guidance over the past few years. This combined free and fusion jazz and classical nuances to hypnotic effect.
The Elchin Shirinov Trio also performed a successful concert on 26 May in Reims at the local Sunnyside Festival.
Go to www.elchinshirinov.com to experience the innovative work of Elchin Shirinov.
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 06.06.2016Honorary title ‘people’s artist’ conferred on Ramiz Fataliyev
- 08.06.2016Baku to host music festival involving famous Russian stars
- 10.06.2016Vidadi Muradov appointed chairman of ‘Azərxalça’ OJSC Board of Directors
- 28.05.2016‘Sari gelin’ song presented as Armenian in concert held in Germany
- 20.05.2016“Endless Corridor” film screened on London Live channel
- 17.05.2016Olzhas Suleimenov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president