Elchin Shirinov brings the spirit of Azerbaijan to the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris - PHOTOSESSION
Baku-APA. Internationally acclaimed Azerbaijani pianist Elchin Shirinov brought his unique approach to ethno-jazz to the Festival Jazz à Saint-Germain-des-Prés Paris – one of the leading European jazz festivals – on 27 may, The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) told APA.
His trio performed in front of over 200 Parisian music aficionados, critics and H.E. Elchin Amirbayov, Azerbaijani Ambassador to France. The French office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) sponsored the involvement of the trio, which came in the wake of the participation by Azerbaijani artists in two previous editions of the festival.
Frédéric Charbaut, Jazz Broadcaster and Co-founder of the Festival, opened the evening saying: “This is the third successive year that I have the pleasure to announce a band led by an Azerbaijani musician. In previous editions of the festival, the support of TEAS has enabled audiences to hear some excellent bands led by Azerbaijani musicians, the first of which was the Isfar Sarabski Trio. The leader has now become internationally famous. Last year we saw the participation of Emil Afrasiyab and his Quartet. I am now fortunate to introduce Elchin Shirinov, a new pianist for the festival.”
Shirinov – who comes from the Azerbaijani folk tradition – belongs to the new generation of Azerbaijani jazz musicians who combine elements of post-bop jazz, blues and funk with the modes, melodies and microtones of Azerbaijani folk and classical music. Although fundamentally different to jazz, mugham – the national music of Azerbaijan – is notable for a high level of improvisation. Throughout, Shirinov’s mellifluous extemporisations and pianistic pyrotechnics entranced the jazz cognoscenti in the crowd, particularly in his variations around the folksong Gul Achdi. He went on to give a very individual interpretation of two of the most popular Azerbaijani folksongs Sari Gelin and Durna; and included his reflective self-penned compositions Waiting and Muse in his set, many of which featured the sound of the Melodica, a wind-operated keyboard that makes an accordion-like sound, which he balanced on top of the grand piano.
Shirinov has formerly played with Rain Sultanov, who remains one of the foremost Azerbaijani tenor saxophonists, and has also performed alongside many of the visiting international jazz musicians participating in the annual Baku International Jazz Festival. This multifarious experience has stood him good stead, and the evening saw him team up with Linley Marthe, who previously played with fusion pioneer and Weather Report group founder Joe Zawinul, and the inspired American drummer Eric Harland, who has played with the free jazz figurehead Charles Lloyd.
The rapturous response bore testament to American pianist Brad Mehldau’s testimonial: “Elchin has a really good sense of how to orchestrate for the trio setting. In particular, he finds a distinct place for the piano and the bass in the music – he doesn’t play any extraneous stuff that the bass is already doing.” Harland’s polyrhythmic drumming technique clearly excited the audience, and he reveled in the chance to play in different meters due to the variable and unusual time signatures in Azerbaijani music. The interplay between the men was most intuitive and Harland demonstrated great sensitivity, unleashing his musical power whenever relevant.
The set by the Elchin Shirinov Trio was followed by a fusion set by leading French clarinetist Michel Portal, American drummer Jeff Ballard and American bass exponent Kevin Hays, who has given Shirinov tuition and guidance over the past few years. This combined free and fusion jazz and classical nuances to hypnotic effect.
The Elchin Shirinov Trio also performed a successful concert on 26 May in Reims at the local Sunnyside Festival.
Go to www.elchinshirinov.com to experience the innovative work of Elchin Shirinov.
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan elected to one of UNESCO’s most important bodies
- 25.05.2018Press conference on documentary “The Last Session” held in Baku
- 21.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Friendship Order to Anna Netrebko
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan names first deputy minister of culture
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on several museum employees
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan’s President awards art workers with presidential awards
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards cultural figures with presidential personal pension
- 01.05.2018Original portraits of Shah Ismail and son to be exhibited in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2018‘Ali and Nino’ play to be premiered in Georgia
- 26.04.2018British Film Springs to life in Baku
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 06.06.2016Honorary title ‘people’s artist’ conferred on Ramiz Fataliyev
- 08.06.2016Baku to host music festival involving famous Russian stars
- 10.06.2016Vidadi Muradov appointed chairman of ‘Azərxalça’ OJSC Board of Directors
- 28.05.2016‘Sari gelin’ song presented as Armenian in concert held in Germany
- 20.05.2016“Endless Corridor” film screened on London Live channel
- 17.05.2016Olzhas Suleimenov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president