British Film Spring brings best of contemporary British cinema to Baku
Baku. Javid Zeynalli – APA. The British Council Azerbaijan in cooperation with the British Embassy Azerbaijan and Nizami Cinema Centre is proud to announce the Second British Film Spring Festival in Baku from 25 to 30 April 2016.
On 25–30 April 2016, Baku will host the second British Film Spring, bringing the best and brightest new films in contemporary British cinematography to Azerbaijan, British Council told APA.
The British Council organized the first British Film Festival in Baku on 6–11 December, 2013. The second film festival, which was carried out under the title of British Film Spring, was held in April 2015.
The opening film of this year will be Oscar-nominated Brooklyn directed by John Crowley and written by Nick Hornby, based on Colm Toibinn’s novel of the same name.
The 2016 festival will screen six remarkable and very diverse films, including Lady in the Van with Maggie Smith playing the title role; Andrew Haigh’s 45 Years, the winner of Berlin Film Festival; and The Lobster, a remarkable work by Yorgos Lanthimos starring Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz.
The British Council will also be organising a number of online competitions during the run-up to the festival, offering tickets and presents to participants of online contests. More details will be available on the British Council Azerbaijan Facebook page throughout April.
On the occasion of the Second British Film Spring in Azerbaijan, Elizabeth White, Director British Council Azerbaijan, stated, ‘Our intention is to link UK films and filmmakers with Azerbaijani audiences, profiling innovation, diversity and excellence and seeking opportunities for creative exchange. This year’s British Film Spring has a selection of really interesting new films – I hope that Baku audiences get to see many of these films’.
All films will be screened in English with Russian subtitles.
The venue of the festival is Nizami Cinema Centre.
All tickets cost 2 AZN and are available at box offices of Nizami Cinema Centre.
The festival schedule is as follows:
25 April at 19:00 The Opening ceremony, screening of Brooklyn
26 April at 14:30 Lady in the Van
26 April at 18:30 Mr Holmes
27 April at 14:30 Lobster
27 April at 18:30 45 Years
28 April at 14:30 Mr Holmes
28 April at 18:30 Listen to me Marlon
29 April at 18:30 Brooklyn
30 April at 14:30 45 Years
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Friendship Order to Anna Netrebko
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan names first deputy minister of culture
- 18.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on several museum employees
- 09.05.2018Azerbaijan’s President awards art workers with presidential awards
- 09.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards cultural figures with presidential personal pension
- 01.05.2018Original portraits of Shah Ismail and son to be exhibited in Azerbaijan
- 30.04.2018‘Ali and Nino’ play to be premiered in Georgia
- 26.04.2018British Film Springs to life in Baku
- 23.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order to confer honorary titles on several professionals over cultural heritage protection
- 03.04.2018“Absheron National Park” documentary presented
- 25.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev viewed newly-reconstructed Barda Mausoleum and Torpaggala Complex
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to director of Moscow Academic Theatre of Satire
- 05.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening ceremony of Cultural Center in Shagan
- 19.02.2018Arif Babayev awarded Sharaf Order
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 04.05.2016Azerbaijan preparing files for inclusion of dolma cooking traditions in UNESCO list
- 07.05.2016Amendment made Eurovision Song Contest flag policy
- 11.05.2016Baku to host Iranian film week
- 29.03.2016Azerbaijan creates regional culture and tourism departments
- 17.03.2016UN secretary general to attend int’l forum in Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2016US embassy in Azerbaijan sponsors ‘The Exchange’ vocal group