British Film Spring brings best of contemporary British cinema to Baku
Baku. Javid Zeynalli – APA. The British Council Azerbaijan in cooperation with the British Embassy Azerbaijan and Nizami Cinema Centre is proud to announce the Second British Film Spring Festival in Baku from 25 to 30 April 2016.
On 25–30 April 2016, Baku will host the second British Film Spring, bringing the best and brightest new films in contemporary British cinematography to Azerbaijan, British Council told APA.
The British Council organized the first British Film Festival in Baku on 6–11 December, 2013. The second film festival, which was carried out under the title of British Film Spring, was held in April 2015.
The opening film of this year will be Oscar-nominated Brooklyn directed by John Crowley and written by Nick Hornby, based on Colm Toibinn’s novel of the same name.
The 2016 festival will screen six remarkable and very diverse films, including Lady in the Van with Maggie Smith playing the title role; Andrew Haigh’s 45 Years, the winner of Berlin Film Festival; and The Lobster, a remarkable work by Yorgos Lanthimos starring Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz.
The British Council will also be organising a number of online competitions during the run-up to the festival, offering tickets and presents to participants of online contests. More details will be available on the British Council Azerbaijan Facebook page throughout April.
On the occasion of the Second British Film Spring in Azerbaijan, Elizabeth White, Director British Council Azerbaijan, stated, ‘Our intention is to link UK films and filmmakers with Azerbaijani audiences, profiling innovation, diversity and excellence and seeking opportunities for creative exchange. This year’s British Film Spring has a selection of really interesting new films – I hope that Baku audiences get to see many of these films’.
All films will be screened in English with Russian subtitles.
The venue of the festival is Nizami Cinema Centre.
All tickets cost 2 AZN and are available at box offices of Nizami Cinema Centre.
The festival schedule is as follows:
25 April at 19:00 The Opening ceremony, screening of Brooklyn
26 April at 14:30 Lady in the Van
26 April at 18:30 Mr Holmes
27 April at 14:30 Lobster
27 April at 18:30 45 Years
28 April at 14:30 Mr Holmes
28 April at 18:30 Listen to me Marlon
29 April at 18:30 Brooklyn
30 April at 14:30 45 Years
Related news releases
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 11.07.2017Advisory body refuses to add Shaki Khans’ Palace to UNESCO World Heritage List
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents “Istiglal” Order to People's Artist Fidan Gasimova
- 24.05.2017Paris to host literary evening in honor of Azerbaijani poet Vagif Samadoglu
- 22.05.2017Firangiz Alizade awarded Sharaf Order
- 17.05.2017‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Washington, DC
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijan to mark Bulbul’s 120th anniversary
- 06.05.2017Ministers of culture and tourism meet within framework of Baku Forum
- 05.05.2017Role of parliaments discussed at World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku
- 05.05.2017UN High Representative: Baku process has become a platform
- 05.05.2017Council of Europe calls on member states to pass laws to prevent discrimination
- 05.05.2017OIC: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue ‘a crucial step’ taken to address global challenges
- 04.05.2017Armenia was also invited to participate in Baku Forum, says Azerbaijani minister
- 04.05.2017Azerbaijani minister: World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue is becoming global process
- 04.05.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of newly renovated educational block of ASUCA
- 02.05.2017Sami Yusuf: Baku Shopping Festival – an excellent opportunity to promote Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2017Ramiz Guliyev awarded Sharaf order
- 28.04.2017Azerbaijan publicizes list of int’l organizations’ heads who will attend Baku Forum
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 04.05.2016Azerbaijan preparing files for inclusion of dolma cooking traditions in UNESCO list
- 07.05.2016Amendment made Eurovision Song Contest flag policy
- 11.05.2016Baku to host Iranian film week
- 29.03.2016Azerbaijan creates regional culture and tourism departments
- 17.03.2016UN secretary general to attend int’l forum in Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2016US embassy in Azerbaijan sponsors ‘The Exchange’ vocal group