British Film Spring brings best of contemporary British cinema to Baku
Baku. Javid Zeynalli – APA. The British Council Azerbaijan in cooperation with the British Embassy Azerbaijan and Nizami Cinema Centre is proud to announce the Second British Film Spring Festival in Baku from 25 to 30 April 2016.
On 25–30 April 2016, Baku will host the second British Film Spring, bringing the best and brightest new films in contemporary British cinematography to Azerbaijan, British Council told APA.
The British Council organized the first British Film Festival in Baku on 6–11 December, 2013. The second film festival, which was carried out under the title of British Film Spring, was held in April 2015.
The opening film of this year will be Oscar-nominated Brooklyn directed by John Crowley and written by Nick Hornby, based on Colm Toibinn’s novel of the same name.
The 2016 festival will screen six remarkable and very diverse films, including Lady in the Van with Maggie Smith playing the title role; Andrew Haigh’s 45 Years, the winner of Berlin Film Festival; and The Lobster, a remarkable work by Yorgos Lanthimos starring Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz.
The British Council will also be organising a number of online competitions during the run-up to the festival, offering tickets and presents to participants of online contests. More details will be available on the British Council Azerbaijan Facebook page throughout April.
On the occasion of the Second British Film Spring in Azerbaijan, Elizabeth White, Director British Council Azerbaijan, stated, ‘Our intention is to link UK films and filmmakers with Azerbaijani audiences, profiling innovation, diversity and excellence and seeking opportunities for creative exchange. This year’s British Film Spring has a selection of really interesting new films – I hope that Baku audiences get to see many of these films’.
All films will be screened in English with Russian subtitles.
The venue of the festival is Nizami Cinema Centre.
All tickets cost 2 AZN and are available at box offices of Nizami Cinema Centre.
The festival schedule is as follows:
25 April at 19:00 The Opening ceremony, screening of Brooklyn
26 April at 14:30 Lady in the Van
26 April at 18:30 Mr Holmes
27 April at 14:30 Lobster
27 April at 18:30 45 Years
28 April at 14:30 Mr Holmes
28 April at 18:30 Listen to me Marlon
29 April at 18:30 Brooklyn
30 April at 14:30 45 Years
Related news releases
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 07.11.20164th Int’l Theatre Conference kicks off in Baku
- 31.10.2016American rock band to give concerts in Azerbaijan
- 25.10.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host exhibition by renowned Mexican sculptor
- 22.10.2016Screening of documentary "Young voices, Ancient Song" held in Baku
- 21.10.2016“Karabakh traditional clothes” book catalog presented in Baku
- 20.10.2016Map provocation by Armenians prevented at Frankfurt Book Fair
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Music Center in Aghstafa
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens new building of Museum of History and Local Lore
- 04.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to world-renowned singer Rashid Behbudov - UPDATED
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views Sumgayit State Drama Theatre
- 22.09.2016Emotional Khojaly 613 tone poem received in rapt silence during closing of Mulhouse festival
- 21.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Mingachevir City Museum of History
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft laws on inscriptions, intangible cultural heritage
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi’s Khamsa published in Uzbek
- 14.09.2016Amina Yusif gizi honored with Shohrat order
- 04.05.2016Azerbaijan preparing files for inclusion of dolma cooking traditions in UNESCO list
- 07.05.2016Amendment made Eurovision Song Contest flag policy
- 11.05.2016Baku to host Iranian film week
- 29.03.2016Azerbaijan creates regional culture and tourism departments
- 17.03.2016UN secretary general to attend int’l forum in Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2016US embassy in Azerbaijan sponsors ‘The Exchange’ vocal group