Azerbaijan`s first lady visits Pius-Clementine Museum in Vatican, signs agreement for restoration of St. Sebastian Sarcophagi
The first lady viewed the art samples and monuments restored with the support of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation.
The museum was commissioned by Popes Clement XIV (1769-1774) and Pius VI (1775-1799) to collect the most important Greek and Roman masterpieces in the Vatican.
Valuable samples of architecture related to the Antique and Renaissance periods are preserved at the museum. Located in the Belvedere Palace, the museum is included in the Vatican museums complex and is distinguished by universal richness in terms of the number of exhibits and historical significance.
The museum is comprised of a courtyard, an animals room, a statues gallery, the Rotonda room, the Greek cross room, the gallery of busts and other divisions. Antique statues related to the time of Pope Julius II are displayed in its courtyard. Restoration works were carried out here in 1775, following the instructions of Pope Pius VII. Among the valuable exhibits of the museum, statues such as "Laocoön and His Sons", "Apollo Belvedere", "Hermes" and others are considered to be art works of universal significance. There are statues of about 150 animals in the animals room. A number of famous sculptors and artists were involved in the restoration of these statues. Part of the exhibits in the hall - second to none in the world by the richness – accommodates copies of antique works preserved in Greece and Rome. A summer pavilion of Pope Innocent VIII was located in the statues gallery. Over 100 works related to the Renaissance period have been gathered in the busts gallery of the museum.
Director of the Vatican Museums Antonio Paolucci thanked the Heydar Aliyev Foundation, especially Azerbaijan`s first lady Mehriban Aliyeva and applauded her role in preserving the pieces of world culture.
President of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State Giuseppe Bertello expressed gratitude to the Azerbaijani state and president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation Mehriban Aliyeva. He stressed the importance of continuing such dialogues in terms of the development of Azerbaijani-Vatican relations.
Mehriban Aliyeva said Azerbaijan was interested in continuing this cooperation.
First lady Mehriban Aliyeva viewed cupboards in Sala Sistina Grand Hall of Apostolic Library. The restoration of the cupboards is being carried out with the support of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation.
Azerbaijan`s first lady Mehriban Aliyeva then met with President of the Pontifical Council for Culture, Cardinal of the Catholic Church Gianfranco Ravasi.
Following the meeting, Cardinal Ravasi spoke about the projects to be implemented as part of the future cooperation with the Heydar Aliyev Foundation. He said this cooperation contributed to intercultural and interreligious dialogue, and applauded Azerbaijan`s role on this front.
First lady Mehriban Aliyeva highlighted the importance of the restoration of the catacombs of Saints Marcelline and Peter.
The president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation noted that this cooperation played an important role in improving inter-civilization dialogue.
Azerbaijan`s first lady, president of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation Mehriban Aliyeva and President of the Pontifical Council for Culture, cardinal of the Catholic Church Gianfranco Ravasi signed the agreement for the restoration of St. Sebastian Sarcophagi.
The signing ceremony was followed by a question-and-answer session. Responding to questions from journalists, Mehriban Aliyeva said Azerbaijan was a crossroads of religions and cultures. "There has never been any religious or ethnic conflict in Azerbaijan." She highlighted the projects of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation in Azerbaijan and various parts of the world. "Restoration of the catacombs of Saints Marcelline and Peter is a perfect example of excellent cooperation between Azerbaijan and the Vatican," Mehriban Aliyeva said.
Cardinal Ravasi highlighted the cooperation between the Heydar Aliyev Foundation and the Vatican. "This cooperation includes ties with Vatican museums, restoration of ancient manuscripts and other issues," he added.
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 07.11.20164th Int’l Theatre Conference kicks off in Baku
- 31.10.2016American rock band to give concerts in Azerbaijan
- 25.10.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host exhibition by renowned Mexican sculptor
- 22.10.2016Screening of documentary "Young voices, Ancient Song" held in Baku
- 21.10.2016“Karabakh traditional clothes” book catalog presented in Baku
- 20.10.2016Map provocation by Armenians prevented at Frankfurt Book Fair
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Music Center in Aghstafa
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens new building of Museum of History and Local Lore
- 04.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to world-renowned singer Rashid Behbudov - UPDATED
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views Sumgayit State Drama Theatre
- 22.09.2016Emotional Khojaly 613 tone poem received in rapt silence during closing of Mulhouse festival
- 21.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Mingachevir City Museum of History
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft laws on inscriptions, intangible cultural heritage
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi’s Khamsa published in Uzbek
- 14.09.2016Amina Yusif gizi honored with Shohrat order
- 24.02.2016President Ilham Aliyev awards Azerbaijani mugham master Shohrat Order
- 27.02.2016Ministry of Culture and Tourism clarifies Minister Abulfaz Garayev’s statement
- 11.03.2016Nakhchivan likely to become capital of Islamic culture in 2018
- 22.02.2016Play “Red Angel in Khojaly” on Khojaly genocide premiered in Baku
- 22.02.2016Azerbaijani-Turkish Friendship Concert held in Sydney
- 18.02.2016Another AZN 5mln allocated for Ganja State Philharmonic construction