Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
Armenian officials have made provocative statements after the Lavash flatbread-making tradition was included to the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage under the title of “Flatbread making and sharing culture: Lavash, Katyrma, Jupka, Yufka”.
The remarks came from Vasif Eyvazzade, head of the international cooperation department of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism, amid Armenian media reports on Lavash.
The 11th meeting of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage that was taken place in Ethiopia on November 28-December 2 passed a final decision over a document “Flatbread making and sharing culture: Lavash, Katyrma, Jupka, Yufka” developed and submitted to the organization by Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
The organization pointed out that this culture is a widely widespread tradition in these five countries.
Lavash has been a controversial dish long ago between regional countries and Armenia, which groundlessly claimed that this unique flatbread is an expression of Armenian culture.
Eyvazzade noted that Armenia was the first in the history of UNESCO’s intergovernmental committee to propose an amendment to a nomination that had been given positive assessment on all criteria and recommended to be added to the list. “This, undoubtedly, was a non-constructive step,” he noted.
“However, the other members of the committee said they found nothing wrong with the nomination submitted by Azerbaijan and the other countries and clearly stated that the nomination document and the bread-making tradition fully corresponded to the principles of UNESCO, the Convention of Intangible Cultural Heritage, and international law,” said the ministry official. “Everyone knew that the position of Azerbaijan and the other countries was that all those proposals save one were unacceptable, because the Armenian side proposed to change the name of the file.”
According to him, Azerbaijan and other partner countries, for the sake of a constructive approach, only accepted the proposal that Lavash making is a tradition of other countries too.
“Following long discussions, through the UNESCO Secretariat, we stated that we can only agree on removal of all proposals of Armenia and recording the number of the decision dated 2014. The Armenian side has never been pleased with the decision adopted in 2014 regarding the file presented by Armenia to UNESCO. The law includes very important paragraphs and expressions due to the efforts of either the evaluation body or Azerbaijan and Turkey to prevent Lavash from being armenized and nationalized, and the Armenian side avoided to disclose the details of the law to its public and misinterpreted it,” he added.
The ministry official stressed that Armenia, through its actions and the issues it raises often, continues to falsify the regional peoples’ cultural heritage and history dating back thousands of years and demonstrate chauvinism, racial, religious and ethnic discrimination.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017Azerbaijani youth to receive higher education in film industry in Russia
- 13.04.2017The pain, joy and poetry of mugham comes to Paris
- 07.04.2017British Film Spring due in Baku
- 04.04.2017Polad Bulbuloglu: Very thoughtful, planned work needed to optimize UNESCO’s activities
- 18.03.2017Ganja takes up role as CIS Cultural Capital 2017
- 17.03.2017Nine nominations received for post of UNESCO Director-General
- 09.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards theatre figures
- 23.02.2017Khojaly 25 years on – an evocative musical remembrance in the centre of neutrality
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan to mark Mstislav Rostropovich’s 90th birth anniversary
- 08.02.2017Iran rejects reports of ‘The Voice of Artsakh’ band preparing to give concert
- 02.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Humanitarian sphere – one of main directions of Azerbaijan’s state policy
- 02.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to prominent conductor of Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Japanese film festival opens in Baku
- 18.01.2017Azerbaijani parliament set to discuss new draft laws in spring session
- 17.01.2017London hosts event dedicated to Azerbaijani mugham
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani composer Fikrat Amirov remembered in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2016Baku to host 5th Int’l Symposium on Azerbaijani Carpets
- 11.11.2016Abulfas Garayev awarded Shohrat order
- 11.11.2016Terra documentary screened at European Film Festival in Baku
- 10.11.2016Extra funds allocated for continuation of Ganja State Philharmonic construction
- 10.11.2016Every day Azerbaijani people feel consequences of Armenian occupation, says minister
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev addresses participants of 4th Baku Int’l Theatre Conference
- 07.11.20164th Int’l Theatre Conference kicks off in Baku
- 31.10.2016American rock band to give concerts in Azerbaijan
- 25.10.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host exhibition by renowned Mexican sculptor
- 22.10.2016Screening of documentary "Young voices, Ancient Song" held in Baku
- 21.10.2016“Karabakh traditional clothes” book catalog presented in Baku
- 20.10.2016Map provocation by Armenians prevented at Frankfurt Book Fair
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates Music Center in Aghstafa
- 19.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev opens new building of Museum of History and Local Lore
- 04.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev unveils monument to world-renowned singer Rashid Behbudov - UPDATED
- 27.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev views Sumgayit State Drama Theatre
- 22.09.2016Emotional Khojaly 613 tone poem received in rapt silence during closing of Mulhouse festival
- 21.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attended opening of Mingachevir City Museum of History
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani parliament to discuss draft laws on inscriptions, intangible cultural heritage
- 15.09.2016Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi’s Khamsa published in Uzbek
- 14.09.2016Amina Yusif gizi honored with Shohrat order
- 05.09.2016‘Azerbaijani Movie Night’ series launched in Los Angeles
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani president signs order on 200th anniversary of establishment of German settlements in South Caucasus
- 05.08.2016Iran to hold Azerbaijani culture days
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival