Azerbaijan comments on Armenian media reports on Lavash
Armenian officials have made provocative statements after the Lavash flatbread-making tradition was included to the UNESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage under the title of “Flatbread making and sharing culture: Lavash, Katyrma, Jupka, Yufka”.
The remarks came from Vasif Eyvazzade, head of the international cooperation department of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism, amid Armenian media reports on Lavash.
The 11th meeting of the Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage that was taken place in Ethiopia on November 28-December 2 passed a final decision over a document “Flatbread making and sharing culture: Lavash, Katyrma, Jupka, Yufka” developed and submitted to the organization by Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
The organization pointed out that this culture is a widely widespread tradition in these five countries.
Lavash has been a controversial dish long ago between regional countries and Armenia, which groundlessly claimed that this unique flatbread is an expression of Armenian culture.
Eyvazzade noted that Armenia was the first in the history of UNESCO’s intergovernmental committee to propose an amendment to a nomination that had been given positive assessment on all criteria and recommended to be added to the list. “This, undoubtedly, was a non-constructive step,” he noted.
“However, the other members of the committee said they found nothing wrong with the nomination submitted by Azerbaijan and the other countries and clearly stated that the nomination document and the bread-making tradition fully corresponded to the principles of UNESCO, the Convention of Intangible Cultural Heritage, and international law,” said the ministry official. “Everyone knew that the position of Azerbaijan and the other countries was that all those proposals save one were unacceptable, because the Armenian side proposed to change the name of the file.”
According to him, Azerbaijan and other partner countries, for the sake of a constructive approach, only accepted the proposal that Lavash making is a tradition of other countries too.
“Following long discussions, through the UNESCO Secretariat, we stated that we can only agree on removal of all proposals of Armenia and recording the number of the decision dated 2014. The Armenian side has never been pleased with the decision adopted in 2014 regarding the file presented by Armenia to UNESCO. The law includes very important paragraphs and expressions due to the efforts of either the evaluation body or Azerbaijan and Turkey to prevent Lavash from being armenized and nationalized, and the Armenian side avoided to disclose the details of the law to its public and misinterpreted it,” he added.
The ministry official stressed that Armenia, through its actions and the issues it raises often, continues to falsify the regional peoples’ cultural heritage and history dating back thousands of years and demonstrate chauvinism, racial, religious and ethnic discrimination.
Related news releases
- 09.02.2018Alexander Sharovsky awarded ‘Sharaf’ Order
- 02.02.2018Rafig Azimov awarded Shohrat Order
- 01.02.2018Magsud Ibrahimbeyov Creative Center to be established in Azerbaijan
- 31.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs order on marking 120th anniversary of Azerbaijani cinema
- 23.01.2018Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full
- 16.01.2018People’s Artist Chingiz Sadykhov laid to rest - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Body of famous musician Chingiz Sadykhov to be brought to Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers Shohrat orders upon Rauf Babayev and Flora Gasimova
- 28.12.2017Salkhab Mammadov awarded Sharaf Order
- 27.12.2017Film dedicated to famous Indian actor Dharmendra screened in Baku
- 22.12.2017Azerbaijan to mark 80th anniversary of composer Elza Ibrahimova
- 22.12.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to Golden Fox Award winner Steppe Man
- 20.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Heydar Aliyev" Order to People’s Artist Omar Eldarov
- 16.12.2017Vice-President of Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva attends poetry day in Gabala - UPDATED
- 07.12.2017Kamancha inscribed on UNESCO Representative List as cultural samples of Azerbaijan and Iran
- 06.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva inaugurates new building of music school named after Rostropovichs
- 06.12.2017UNESCO recognizes Azerbaijan's dolma as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- 18.11.2017IV Baku Int’l Tourism Film Festival wraps up
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 10th anniversary of Baku Process
- 15.11.2017Baku hosts event dedicated to twinning project on culture
- 13.11.2017Funding of theatre industry in Azerbaijan down by 300%
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates new building of Ganja State Philharmonic
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijan selects entry for Eurovision 2018
- 07.11.2017Azerbaijani classical music mesmerizes audience in Sacramento
- 03.11.2017Salaries of Azerbaijan State Symphonic Orchestra’s artistic staff increased
- 31.10.2017European Film Festival to open in Baku on Nov. 2
- 30.10.2017People’s Artist Rafig Huseynov passes away
- 24.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 135th jubilee of prominent playwright Huseyn Javid
- 17.10.2017Azerbaijan to mark 100th jubilee of composer Gara Garayev
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on National Art Museum employees
- 27.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards Carpet Museum employees
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on cultural figures
- 20.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Museum of History and Local Lore in Shamkir after major overhaul
- 14.08.2017President allocates 6.9 million for development of culture
- 12.08.2017Alim Gasimov awarded “Sheref” order
- 03.08.2017Israeli ambassador: Gabala music festival well-organized
- 31.07.2017Azerbaijan to celebrate 75th anniversary of Muslim Magomayev
- 31.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival officially opens
- 29.07.20179th Gabala International Music Festival kicks off
- 14.07.2017Heydar Aliyev Foundation organizes Days of Azerbaijani Culture in Cannes
- 25.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev dies
- 26.12.2016Ilham Aliyev presents Heydar Aliyev Order to outstanding singer
- 27.12.2016Azerbaijan to erect monument to prominent conductor Niyazi
- 01.12.2016Kazakhstan’s Turkistan elected as cultural capital of Turkic world
- 01.12.2016Lavash enters UNESCO Representative List of Intangible Cultural Heritage
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijani spirit headlines at EFG London Jazz Festival